Cheaper Substitutes For Supplies?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 1:37am by PJ37

maryindublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryindublin Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:53am
post #181 of 191

I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday and in the section where the doll house stuff is, they had fake brick and linoleum. Both were textured sheets, there were a couple different types of lino, the one with the best texture was squares. Might make interesting patterns on MMF. I didn't buy any, was in "restraint" mode! icon_wink.gif

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:00pm
post #182 of 191

I am so happy tohave found cc. I have learned so many things from all of you! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #183 of 191

What innovative suggestions!! icon_smile.gif

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:40pm
post #184 of 191

Like others have said, I shop at Save-A-Lot and buy all of my sugar, eggs, butter, shortening, etc. It really saves $$$.

Here's something I just thought about. It's not cheap, but may be well worth it for those of you who use alot of fondant and cover large cakes.

Besides making cakes, I also make pottery and I purchased this last year and it's been the best investment I ever made! It could work just as easily on fondant as it does clay! Mine is dirty so I wouldn't use mine on fondant, I'd have to order a seperate on for that, but you know what I mean!

Here's a link to the description:

http://www.tools4clay.com/slabroller.htm
LL

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:37pm
post #185 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl96

Hi everyone,
I thought I'd start a thread about what different things people might use for cake supplies that is cheaper than buying that actual supply in the store. I just started cake decorating and I'm only doing it as a hobby and since I already have one expensive hobby (rubber stamping), I can't afford to spend too much on cake decorating supplies.
So, I'll start the list (I only know of a couple) and maybe all you knowledgeable CC'ers will post some more..

Using Corn Syrup instead of (thanks, lables12)
Using empty paper towel rolls cut in half lengthwise instead of flower formers

What other stuff is out there that can be used as supply substitutes?

Using splastic straws instead of the wooden dowels

Thanks,
Christine

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #186 of 191

This has more to do with rolling out cookie dough, but the same idea pertains to Fondant/MMF/Rolled BC, etc...

I bought a 3/8" thick (for my cookies, they have smaller width's too) dowel, cut it in half. Placed a dowel on each side of the dough, and begin rolling it out till the dough is the same level as the dowel. It is SO easy and fast, to get the perfectly flat rolled surface~!

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:10am
post #187 of 191

Buy discounted chocolate after the holidays to practice with

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #188 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

How long does chocolate last for?

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:01pm
post #189 of 191

I used a tip I saw earlier on this topic, and used a heating core made out of a small tomato sauce can. Cut both ends off, greased well, and it worked GREAT!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:39pm
post #190 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetreasures

How long does chocolate last for?

6-12 months for milk chocolate, possibly as long as 18 months for dark, all if stored in a cool, dry place. Even once chocolate blooms it's actually still good, just doesn't look good - works fine once melted.

Although I would think if you're just going to use it for practice, you could keep it indefinitely. I am currently using some old, probably rancid icon_surprised.gif IMBC to practice piping with. When I'm done practicing I scrape it off and back into the ziploc it goes. The bonus is that since it's totally stale I have NO desire to eat it while I work. Yeech!

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:37am
post #191 of 191

I just noticed this thread http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-8964-240-days0-orderasc-.html...it parallels this topic and has some good ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%