Candy Clay Or Fondant?

Decorating By emilykakes Updated 13 Apr 2006 , 8:32pm by pauleena

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all! I am kinda new here, well I've been lurking around staring at cakes all day for a while, but this is one of my first posts. I am planning on making an Easter cake with little bunnies. I have not modeled anything yet and I was wondering wich of the two is the easiest to use? If I use fondant I will have to go with the yucko Wilton fondant (microwave is broken can't make mmf). Thanks in advance for any help.

12 replies
kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 13

personally, i think chocolate clay is easier to model than fondant. it doesnt dry out as quickly but it really depends on what you prefer to work with. also, it is true, wilton fondant has a bad taste but, if that is what you have on hand go ahead and use it...no need to actually eat the bunnies. sounds like a fun cake.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 13

HI! icon_biggrin.gif I personally like the candy clay.......It does not dry as quickly- plus my kids love the way it tastes a lot better than fondant. I have also made MMF on the stovetop- just be sure it is turned on LOW.

emilykakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:18am
post #4 of 13

I had no idea that you could do mmf on the stovetop. I will have to try that. Thanks!

MinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinD Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:16am
post #5 of 13

I have found that working with candy clay is better... if you wanted a part to blend in with a another part you can apply enough heat from your hands to do give it a more blended look. I have worked with fondant alone and it gets either too sticky/soft or too dry. I got the idea from another site to do 50/50 fondant and clay. That seems to have worked well for me too when I want a smoother finish.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 9:12am
post #6 of 13

I too like working with candy clay better. It seems to blend easier at seams and creases and it takes longer to dry so you have more time for details and fixes.

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 13

I would personally choose the candy clay because the fondant tastes so yucky.
Tabby

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 13

I just made an Easter cake with little bunnies & chickies on it, and I used Candy Clay. It was actually my first time working with it, and it was so easy, molded well, and I just sprayed the colors on, then wrote on the face details with edible pens. The taste is great!!

emilykakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 13

I actually went to the store today to get some candy clay for my cake, and I carefully opened the bottom of the box to take a peak at what I was getting and the candy clay was super hard. Is it always like that or was there something wrong with it?

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:15am
post #10 of 13

Don't worry, I think, I have only used homemade candy clay, but with the homemade, it is really hard till you knead it. You will want to knead a little at a time (about a golf ball size) unless you have superman hands. I love candy clay!

KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:01am
post #11 of 13

The premade candy clay at the store is rock hard and not really like the homemade variety to work with. The homemade stuff is rock hard but kneadble while the store stuff can be impossible to work with even if you microwave it to soften it. I bought several boxes while it was on sale and ended up throwing it away. It could have been that what I bought was not good anymore, but I personally hated it.

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:11am
post #12 of 13

I liked using the candy clay from the store. My kids enjoyed using it as well!!!! It was a little tough to roll out but I found the more I worked with it the easier it got..
Good Luck on whatever you decide to use..

pauleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pauleena Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 13

Yesterday I was making a baby shower cake. I tryed to use the candy clay and I couldnt' stand it!! I used the fondant and it turned out great!! I guess it depends on how well you know how to work each product. Im not too good with candy clay but Im a lot better with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%