My First Gel Transfer

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 27 Apr 2005 , 4:14am by 2cakes

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 15

This is the first gel transfer I've done and it was alot easier and faster than the character pan. The only problem I had was my string work. For some reason it kept breaking after it had been on the cake for about 15 minutes. After taking it off several times, I finally added some gel and it worked. I had to add sprinkles to cover up the problem. All in all, I was pleased. Oh, by the way, the name of the person was not added on until I got to the party, Mom didn't call me with the spelling and of course, I forgot my camera.
LL

14 replies
jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 15

Cute cake! You did a great job with the transfer and your writing looks wonderful!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 15

p.s. you need to post it in the gallery!!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 15

Looks great!

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 15

Hi Stephanie214! I think this cake is so pretty and cute; Great job and the writting is so nice and neat, never would have thought that there was a slight problem. How did you do your transfer? And what type of gel did you use, cause some gels run and I would not want to use something that would run on a cake. Thanks!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

This is the first gel transfer I've done and it was alot easier and faster than the character pan. The only problem I had was my string work. For some reason it kept breaking after it had been on the cake for about 15 minutes. After taking it off several times, I finally added some gel and it worked. I had to add sprinkles to cover up the problem. All in all, I was pleased. Oh, by the way, the name of the person was not added on until I got to the party, Mom didn't call me with the spelling and of course, I forgot my camera.

This came out soooo GREAT! I really like it Alot!!
Is the gel transfer where you copy the outline w/ piping gel and them put it on the cake??
GOOD JOB!!

ute

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 15

I'll answer for her...yes it is... I did it all the time until my last cake (princess) then I tried the toothpick wax paper method.

stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 15

First off, let me apologize for the picture being so big. This is my first picture and didn't know how to do one of those click on to see pictures.

Thanks jscakes, I did post in gallery.

2cakes, thank you. I used waxed paper and permanent marker to trace the picture and then turned the wax paper picture over on the opposite side to get mirror image and used the Wilton Piping Gel with tip #2.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 15

Your cake looks great!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 15

Love the strawberry shortcake cake. Looks very good. What flavor was it?

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 15

Great job Stephanie! I'd say you've mastered that technique! icon_smile.gif When you did the gel transfer, did you use a colored gel or tinted? I've tried doing it with a clear gel and had a hard time seeing it well enough- maybe I just need better lighting in my kitchen?? LOL Thanks for sharing your success with us, it helps us all.

stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 15

[i]Hi Mchelle,
It was the yellow double pudding mix. I always add sour cream to my mixes.

stephanie214 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 15

Hi momsandraven,
I used the Wilton clear piping gel with no tinting. I didn't have any problem seeing the gel on the icing but when I use the character pan, I can't see the outlines on the cake...go figure! icon_cry.gif

luvbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbaking Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

She is absolutely adorable. You did a fantastic job & like the other ladies said u do have a nice & neat handwriting. I've never tried the gel transfer but u inspire me to do so. thumbs_up.gif

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 4:14am
post #15 of 15

Hi Stephanie214! Thank you for the reply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%