Wedding Questions...long

Decorating By JRAE33 Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 2:01pm by JRAE33

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 18

Okay...I have a few questions. I have a wedding in September. I am doing small cakes on each table as the centerpieces. I was originally going to do 6 inch rounds (two layer), but I'm wondering will that look too tiny? Should I perhaps make them a little bigger?

Also, she wants all the cakes to be different. Yes, 20 different cakes. Going to use three basic colors (white, blue, turquiose) to match the wedding colors. She wants them to be whimsical, and even though they are getting married on the beach on the reception is on the beach, no beach theme cakes. I had wanted to make white chocolate monograms to put on top to help tie the cakes together, but she doesn't want anything on top, no cake toppers. I'm having a hard time picturing how this is going to look. I guess my question is, will them being the same colors tie them together well enough that they look nice together?

Also, how early can I make these ahead of time. That's a lot baking...20 cakes. I don't have freezer room so can't go that route...Also starting to think about 20 batches of buttercream...what have I gotten myself into? I'd would like one day to ice everything smooth and then one day to add the "whimsy" so would have to bake cakes at least 3 days in advance. Is that okay? Can I do them any earlier? They are going to be from a cake mix, confetti...(only not rainbow, blue sprinkles only).

Sorry for the all the questions. Never done a wedding before, just trying to wrap my head around it all. Jodie

17 replies
southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 18

sounds like ya got a bridezilla there
blue sprinkles only? no toppers?
icon_cry.gif

okay 6 inch rounds 2 layer, are plenty big enough for centerpeices
have u agreed on a price?
how many people at those tables?

and no freezer space? girl you gotta make this stuff in advance... how many six inch pans ya got? whew

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 18

Your cake should feed everyone at that particular table, so you need to find out how many each table seats..... 6, 8, 10.....

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 18

icon_surprised.gif 20 different cakes??? And they are all just one tier?? That will be interesting! As far as the size goes, how much are you charging her per cake? You need to keep your costs in mind here because you don't want to do too much if you're not getting compesated for it. Another thing I think would depend on the size of the tables they're going to be on.

As for the 20 different designs deal, personally, I would come up with about 5, draw pictures if you can and show them to her. I don't think she's going to like the confusion that 20 designs could create.

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 18

I think it's a neat idea! 6 inch rounds should be plenty big for centerpieces, as long as that will feed everyone at the tabe. Just have the florist put some flowers all around the base, etc. to make it a 'bigger' arrangement.

And if you make 6 inch rounds, you'll get more than one cake out of a mix and you'll be able to ice at least 2 with a batch of icing (i think?).

I agree with picking 5 designs and scattering them around the room. It'll be beautiful!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 18

It would be MOST helpful to freeze those cakes. Do you have a freezer you could "borrow"? I don't have a freezer either and so I sometimes put cakes in my mother's freezer. Granted she lives next door so it is not inconvenient.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 18

IF YOU GO THROUGH WITH THIS RUN TO SEARS..... THEY HAVE A SMALL CHEST FREEZER FOR ABOUT $189.00 YOU HAVE GOT TO BAKE AND FREEZE THE CAKES. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT 40, 6 INCH CAKES. YOU'LL WORK YOURSELF TO DEATH IF YOU DON'T. MAYBE A FAMILY MEMBER HAS SOME ROOM IN THEIR FREEZER YOU COULD USE.

I HAD TO GO BUY ANOTHER ONE MYSELF LAST MONTH BECAUSE I GOT SO MANY CAKE ORDERS BETWEEN NOW AND SEPTEMBER. I WORK FULL TIME SO I REALLY NEED TO FREEZE MY CAKES.

BEST OF LUCK!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 18

THEY HAVE A SMALL CHEST FREEZER FOR ABOUT $189.00 YOU HAVE GOT TO BAKE AND FREEZE THE CAKES.

I got mine on sale there for $139.00 !! What a deal !

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 18

A six inch two layer cake is bigger than you might visualize right now. I've made lots of them as personal b-day/special occassion cakes and they turn out quite big. As far as doing 20 totally different designs I'd do as someone already suggested and tell the bride you'll come up with 5 designs to match her colors. Spread out on all the tables I think this would be so much more attractive than 20 different cakes. I'd set some limits there. I could imagine this getting wild if you don't. Also, you didn't mention whether you're making a bridal cake. Will she have a cake on a main table or will the small cakes be it? Good luck with this one.

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 18

If you can get ahold of a copy of "Cake Expressions" by Dottie Smith, it has some a picture of several different one-tier blue and white cakes in differnt designs. I don't know where you're located - I saw it in our Books A Million, but I just looked at amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com and neither have it. I guess the stores here (S. Carolina) just have it because it's from a southern bakery maybe. Anyway, the book has great pictures of stunning cakes, but no instructions. But it might be worth seeing if your library or bookstore has one to look through for design ideas.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 18

I think that when you see the entire reception hall, with the same combination of colors, it will all come together. The cakes will just become part of the overall color scheme. It's going to be HARD to come up with 20 DIFFERENT cakes, though. There are only so many design elements to work with - especially since she has restricted you quite a bit already. I'd push for the five different designs concept.

Although, as I'm typing this, I'm doing the math in my head....three different colors....used in different combinations of stripes...polka dots...diamonds...curly-que shapes.... With colors reversed on some of them - white on blue, blue on white, turquoise on blue, blue on turquoise, light blue with darker blue, white on white....it could be done, I guess.

This one will be interesting to watch. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 18

While 2 six-inch rounds will take slightly less than one cake mix, it *IS* only 'slightly' less, so for simplicity and illustrative purposes only, let's assume 18 mixes are going to be needed.

I use 7 mixes for a wedding cake for 100 (14/10/8 ) so 18 mixes would serve approx 250 people. Let's assume an average price of $2.50 per person = $625 divided by 20 cakes = $31.25 per cake. Plus your added expense of 20 cardboards and 20 boxes (instead of 4 or 5, depending on how many tiers a regular wedding cake would have been). And oh my gosh, let's not forget the PITA Factor that this kind of job entails! Not just the lack of freezer space, but the transportation of all of these cakes!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

and even though they are getting married on the beach on the reception is on the beach

By this do you mean they are getting married and having the reception ON the beach or at a facility on the beach? And how many guests is she wanting to feed?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 18

Ok, Indy, I've heard of pita bread and peta for animals but what is PITA for cakes? sorry for straying from subject icon_redface.gif but I am so nosey!!

erinkalins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinkalins Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 18

dolfin: PITA stands for Pain in the A**

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 18

ROTFLMAO!!!!! THANKS gotta remeber that one.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 18

Well it is a big task but can be done with good preperation and time management..First off..try using blue dotted sprinkles or jimmies to give you the blue color inside.I would make the rounds 8 inch as 6 is quite small.This also depends on how many people at each table.I would definetly make them 3-4 days in advance and at least have them assembled and crumbcoated for final cover.I can't imagine the bride not wanting any decoration on top etc..but each person is different.maybe do a practice cake first to test the color combination!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:01pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks for all the responses! I knew I'd got lots of opinions here!

Quote:
Quote:

As for the 20 different designs deal, personally, I would come up with about 5, draw pictures if you can and show them to her. I don't think she's going to like the confusion that 20 designs could create.

I agree. That was sort of my way of thinking. Even if there are only 5 designs they can still be different because of the different colors of frosting. I also think 20 different designs would not look nice...too cluttered. You need something to tie them all together. Besides, I can't really seem to come up with 20 different whimsical designs icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

IF YOU GO THROUGH WITH THIS RUN TO SEARS..... THEY HAVE A SMALL CHEST FREEZER FOR ABOUT $189.00 YOU HAVE GOT TO BAKE AND FREEZE THE CAKES. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT 40, 6 INCH CAKES. YOU'LL WORK YOURSELF TO DEATH IF YOU DON'T. MAYBE A FAMILY MEMBER HAS SOME ROOM IN THEIR FREEZER YOU COULD USE.

Not a possibility for me. This cake is more of a favor, I won't be making enough to cover the cost of buying a freezer and since I cannot get a legal license in MI (don't have the money to build a second kitchen) this is something I do for fun, not for business. So it's not feasible. Also, don't have any freezer space to borrow either. No family near by and we are somewhat new to our area. Freezing won't work icon_sad.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Also, you didn't mention whether you're making a bridal cake. Will she have a cake on a main table or will the small cakes be it?

No bridal cake. Just the centerpieces. She kept going around and around on what she wanted. Started with a cake. Than a small cake she would not cut into (but no dummy) and a dessert table. Now the 20 small cakes with no bridal cake. I told her I couldn't do 20 plus a wedding cake and she really like the idea of the 20.

Quote:
Quote:

If you can get ahold of a copy of "Cake Expressions" by Dottie Smith, it has some a picture of several different one-tier blue and white cakes in differnt designs.

I am in Michigan. I will try and see if I can get a copy. Thanks!

Quote:
Quote:

Not just the lack of freezer space, but the transportation of all of these cakes!

I'm taking 20 cakes about an hour and a half...I know...CRAZY! Pretty smooth drive so not worried too much...assuming I can fit them all in my van! Many of my cakes have made that same trip...just not more than 2 at a time icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

By this do you mean they are getting married and having the reception ON the beach or at a facility on the beach? And how many guests is she wanting to feed?

Everything is literally on the beach, with a tent for the reception. Will only move to a facility at the beach in case of severe weather.

Thanks again for all the advice! Will keep everyone posted through my thought process...and the actual process come Sept. Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%