Ribbons On Cakes

Decorating By cats28 Updated 12 Apr 2006 , 3:18am by KittisKakes

cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone:
I have a question...I see that some people use ribbons on cakes, are those ribbons made out of fabric or are they coated with something so that the oil from the icing doesn't come through?

I am planning to make an Easter cake and need to use some ribbons and I saw one that I just love and I am not sure about the decision to use it.

Thanking everyone in advance.
cats28 (Tina)

8 replies
Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 9

Whenever I use ribbons on my cakes I always coat them with shortening first. Hope this helps

SMorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMorris Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 9

It's regular ribbon! All you do is fold a peice of wax paper and run the ribbon through the wax paper applying pressure on the ribbon. Do that about 3 times and it will coat the ribbon and the grease won't go through.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 9

I've tried pressing the ribbon between wax paper but I've never been successful. I've even tried ironing the ribbon between the wax paper - I've always used the shortening method. Is there a trick to it that I'm missing??

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 9

I had never heard of that wax paper method either. I thought you were supposed to attach wax paper to the back of the ribbon, lol. Anyhow... that is what I did the one and only time I've used ribbon, and the grease went through the ribbon.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 9

I've always just used regular ribbon, I've never had a problem.
I love the look of ribbon on a simple cake.
Good Luck

cats28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats28 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:13am
post #7 of 9

To thank everyone for all the reponse about what techniques to use with ribbons. I am glad that I can use it because I see many beautiful ribbons in all the craft stores.

Thanks again and take care yourself.
cats28 (Tina)

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:04am
post #8 of 9

Wow, you guys are all so smart. I have learned so much from this post. I too have wanted to try this technique. Now I think I will. Thanks!!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:18am
post #9 of 9

I put contact paper on the back of my ribbon. I've never had grease spots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%