Teacher Needs Reassurance!! (Long)

Lounge By CreativeCakery Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 6:37am by LaSombra

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:43am
post #1 of 14

Well, CC family, I am writing in need of a pep talk!!

I graduated with a BS in Education in 2001 (elementary), and due to inexperience and being overly-eager and naive, I got a job in a sorely mismanaged district where I ended up with a "building sub" assignment. Mind you this was a school where I had kids throwing desks, spitting, etc., and I even got bitten once! My car was also broken into while parked at the school. The next year, being "wiser", I took a job in a district I liked, but the only job available was one on a "temporary certificate", which was totally out of my specialization and comfort zone. Even if I WOULD have wanted to continue, shifting enrollment meant no job for me. Meanwhile, I have my daughter. Still looking for a job, I interview like crazy, and to my horror, cannot find a job. So to close up the sob story, I have been a SAHM for the last few years, doing cakes, and eventually, going back to school to earn my MA, which I will have June 10!! (Whew!) Here are my worries:
1. I know that I didn't get at least 2 of those jobs b/c I didn't have a master's degree at the time. In Ohio, education programs were transitioned (after me!) to be master's only programs. No one is going to hire me if they have to pay for my master's when there are plenty of candidates who already had them. At least that's what I'm telling myself!! icon_redface.gif
2. As you all know, it's WHO you know, and unfortunately, I have no one on the "inside" who can pull for me. I am hoping that the faculty at Ohio State U. (where I go), will be able to assist in that department.
3. I am TERRIFIED that I will have done all this, (not to mention adding tons to my student loans) and will STILL not be able to find a job, and even worse, will not be able to find a GOOD job.

How do I set myself apart? How can I get some help as far as references, etc. and someone who can be my "foot in the door?"

Part of me is even worried that maybe I really CAN'T be a good teacher! It's like the bad experiences have sorta' sucked the wind out of my sails and now I'm doubting myself.

Sorry this was so long and stupid....just needed to rant I guess.
Any encouragement and/or advice??

13 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:53am
post #2 of 14

so you're in Columbus then?

A friend of mine did alot of work for Grandview's district a few years back and was a sub. She has a degree in Spanish though. I don't know what you studied in college...but she ended up having sub positions for an entire semester at a time and really was never without work at that school. It's a nice district to work for.

Out of curiosity, what district did you work for?

CreativeCakery Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #3 of 14

Yep, Columbus! A buckeye girl. icon_wink.gif

the first district was Columbus Public, and the second was Southwestern City Schools.

I have heard nice things about Grandview. Maybe I'll check out their openings! My certification is 1-8.

LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:18am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakery

Yep, Columbus! A buckeye girl. icon_wink.gif

the first district was Columbus Public, and the second was Southwestern City Schools.

I have heard nice things about Grandview. Maybe I'll check out their openings! My certification is 1-8.

I just moved away from Columbus a little over a year ago. I went to Reynoldsburg schools and then moved to Pataskala. Now I'm way over here in the state of Washington but I also went to OSUicon_smile.gif A fellow Buckeye here thumbs_up.gif

Anyway yeah, Grandview is a good district. Upper Arlington would probably be nice...maybe Westerville or Worthington...Hilliard. Really, suburbs rather than Columbus.

CreativeCakery Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 14

I agree! I'm actually living in Reynoldsburg now. I plan on applying everywhere! Maybe I'll get a couple of offers.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 14

Could you do some innovative things with some local kids programs, so you have some successes to sell to your prospective employers? The principals want to hire people who make them look good to the parents, especially in the more upscale schools. You might also consider part time work, student teaching or internship in a school in which you want to work full time. Let them know what a good teacher you are and what an asset you would be to their school.

CreativeCakery Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am feeling a little better now. thumbs_up.gif

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 14

A lot of colleges have job placement help, you might check to see if yours does. icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 14

oh, you're in Reynoldsburg?? *feeling nostalgic*

I wouldn't try Whitehall. I've heard it's not a very nice school. There is Pickerington and Gahanna though...and if you don't mind driving a little, Pataskala (South-west Licking). I'd suggest New Albany but I'm sure it's probably just as hard to get into as a private school. Have you seen their school?? It looks like a mansion.

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 14

i know a lot of people that have a degree in teaching and trying to find a good teaching job in ohio right now is next to impossible. so i was just wondering if you have thought about moving to north carolina, south carolina, and florida? i have several friends that have moved and got a good job in those areas and they don't have thier masters. my friends are going to stay down there for a few years and then once they have experiance move back up to ohio. just a thought.... not sure if you have put much thought into it or even if its an option.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #11 of 14

Would you consider taking a job as a teacher's aide, for experience and to get a foot in the door?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #12 of 14

Wow! I didn't realize it was so competitive north of the Mason-Dixon line! They are clamoring for teachers down here in the South - and you don't HAVE to have a master's to get a job (but you will be paid more). Not sure why it's so different - unless northern districts pay more than southern ones? Anyway, if relocating is a possibility, and your Ohio license has reciprocity with NC, SC, GA, AL, or TN, you shouldn't have a prob getting a real teaching job. Just a thought!

CreativeCakery Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:49am
post #13 of 14

All wonderful suggestions, and I have thought about how easy it might be for me to get a good job if I relocated, but relocating is definitely not possible because of my DH's job.

LaSombra, I swear everytime I do see that New Albany school, I hear Trumpet Voluntary in my mind!! icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:37am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCakery

All wonderful suggestions, and I have thought about how easy it might be for me to get a good job if I relocated, but relocating is definitely not possible because of my DH's job.

LaSombra, I swear everytime I do see that New Albany school, I hear Trumpet Voluntary in my mind!! icon_lol.gif

lol. I wonder what their dress code is like icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%