Alice's Cookie Icing Question

Baking By dandelion Updated 14 Apr 2006 , 3:00am by Zamode

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:17am
post #1 of 23

how long can it be stored?
i'd like to make a batch today or tomorrow...and decorate the cookies on friday.
will it keep that long on the counter? can it be refrigerated?

22 replies
dandelion Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:30am
post #2 of 23

bump?
i've decided that if possible i'd like to make it today icon_smile.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 23

I'm giving you another bump dandelion...I've used it and love it...but it didn't stick around long enough to store because the kids gobbled it down!! icon_surprised.gif Maybe Cake_Princess will see this and she will probably know.

Hugs to you! ~Denise

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 23

*bump*
hopefully you'll get a response soon and you can get to baking cookies! icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 23

I haven't made this icing, but given the inredients I would imagine it needs to go in the refrigerator if you have left over. So, it will probably keep for a few weeks in the refrigrator and then let come back to room temp and rewhip before using leftovers.

Cindy

dandelion Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 23

thank you all so much!
i ended up not making the icing last night because i didn't want to risk it going bad if i left it on the counter or doing weird stuff if i put it in the fridge.
i'm going to make it today for sure though icon_lol.gif
i'll try putting it in the fridge...hopefully it doesn't go weird on me.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion

how long can it be stored?
i'd like to make a batch today or tomorrow...and decorate the cookies on friday.
will it keep that long on the counter? can it be refrigerated?

I had a batch from two weeks ago that I placed in an air tight container with a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the icing to keep it from crusting over. Then I stuck it in a bag and placed it in the freezer. It thawed beautifully and still tasted great. I just used my small spatula to re-work it.

I would suggest placing it in an air tight container like I did and placing it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It would be fine on the countertop but remember heat affects this icing so if you are in a hot area then definately the fridge.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 1:23am
post #8 of 23

I just saw this today. Sorry. I've got a batch that I colored and put in decorating bags. Used them three or four days ago. Then, again yesterday. They were fine today. I just poked a toothpick in the opening to break loose any hardened icing and it was just fine. I'm betting they'll remain OK as long as they don't dry out.

dandelion Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 12:25am
post #9 of 23

thanks!
i made the icing yesterday and decorated on the same day. then i used it again today. it's delicious!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 12:27am
post #10 of 23

I was thinking (uh oh...) today, I would like to substitute the butter in this with cream cheese, that would taste awesome on a chocolate cookie. What does everyone think?

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 2:36am
post #11 of 23

Zamode...I find your avatar puts me in a trance! icon_eek.giffollow the bouncing ball...icon_lol.gif

Crimsicle...Who is that on your avatars??

I need to try this recipe. Everytime I pipe a border (a dam) to flood my cookies, whether it's royal icing or Toba Garrett's, I get air bubbles that emerge after it's too late to do anything about it. I think I'm the only one that has this problem. icon_confused.gif
I need to go back to card-making. It's got less calories too!

kos

Cake_Princess Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 2:46am
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

I was thinking (uh oh...) today, I would like to substitute the butter in this with cream cheese, that would taste awesome on a chocolate cookie. What does everyone think?

You know this recipe has a slight cream cheese taste to it already right?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 2:56am
post #13 of 23

Because there is butter in it, you should go with 3 days at room temperatures below 75F or refrigerate or freeze. Sometimes 4-5 days will be ok but if you are using salted butter, the salt actually adds to the preservative quality of the sugar and butter is usually recommended at 3 days although sometimes safe longer. Remember the melting point of butter is 83F.
Hi Princeypoo!
Hugs Squirrelly

Cake_Princess Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:01am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

Zamode...I find your avatar puts me in a trance! icon_eek.giffollow the bouncing ball...icon_lol.gif

I need to try this recipe. Everytime I pipe a border (a dam) to flood my cookies, whether it's royal icing or Toba Garrett's, I get air bubbles that emerge after it's too late to do anything about it. I think I'm the only one that has this problem. icon_confused.gif
I need to go back to card-making. It's got less calories too!

kos

Sounds like you are beating the icing at a high speed. Slow it down some. Or use a spatula to work the icing to eliminate the bubbles.

LOL calories are good. LOL

Hi SQC Ma!!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:22am
post #15 of 23

[quote="Kos"]

LOL...Clay Aiken. I like to use pix I've taken of him myself. But, someone pointed out earlier that it looks like he's making an obscene gesture. Actually, it's a "come hither" thing. I need to go back to the vault....

Edited - There! That's better! icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:27am
post #16 of 23

[quote="Crimsicle"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

LOL...Clay Aiken. I like to use pix I've taken of him myself. But, someone pointed out earlier that it looks like he's making an obscene gesture. Actually, it's a "come hither" thing. I need to go back to the vault....

I wondered where you got the picture, I just love him, what a sweetheart!
Hugs Squirrelly

Zamode Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 8:01pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:

Yes but not quite enough! I will practice with it maybe after the Cookie Strike is over!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes but not quite enough! I will practice with it maybe after the Cookie Strike is over!

Cookie strike? What, did Princeypoo start a Cookie Baker's union? What are you striking for? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif
I always miss the good stuff!
hugs Squirrelly

Cake_Princess Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 10:28pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cookie strike? What, did Princeypoo start a Cookie Baker's union? What are you striking for? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif
I always miss the good stuff!
hugs Squirrelly

She's striking for more pictures from me.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 12:39am
post #20 of 23

Hhmn, that Zamode is becoming a wee bit of a troublemaker, do you think? icon_twisted.gif Haha, well you might just have met your match!
Ok Zamode I just picked up my picket sign too! thumbs_up.gif

Zamode Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:38am
post #21 of 23

Alright Squirrelly!! I am striking non-photos from C_P but mostly my lack of cookie decorating experience! Today is Day One! Image

SquirrellyCakes Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:46am
post #22 of 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright Squirrelly!! I am striking non-photos from C_P but mostly my lack of cookie decorating experience! Today is Day One!

Hugs Squirrelly

Zamode Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 3:00am
post #23 of 23

Thank you Squirrelly! Hugs right back at ya! Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%