How Do You Cut Your Dowels????

Decorating By bjfranco Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 11:04pm by sweetsuccess

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:27am
post #1 of 22

The only thing I dislike about decorating cakes (besides making tons of icing) is cutting the dowels!!!! Is there some tool out there that I do not know about that can shave the 15 to 20 minutes it takes me to mark, saw, sand and then wipe down these dowels????? I was using a kitchen knife (until I dulled them all and my husband saw me pull out the expensive steak knives icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif ) I bought a special little saw just for my dowels and I just hate doing this!! There must be a better way........... Ladies, please help!

bj icon_wink.gif

21 replies
bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:30am
post #2 of 22

I started using the long white balloon sticks that are sold at party stores. They are hard plastic, really cheap and can be cut a little and broken off the rest of the way. Most times they break evenly. Much quicker than the regular dowels and seem to support just as good. Sorry I can't offer much help on the regular dowels.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:33am
post #3 of 22

I bought the best thing ever at target. It's a pair of cutters from the garden section. They cut the dowels like butter, I am amaized at how well they work. They are kind of flat on one side and sharp on the other as opposed to a pair of sicsors that are sharp on both blades(does this make sense?). anyway, thay are $9.99 and worth every penny!

ml

bjfranco Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:38am
post #4 of 22

I am off to Target tomorrow!!! I am going to busy with cake orders this weekend and do not want to use that stupid saw or beg my husband to cut them for me. Thank you!!!!

bj

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:05am
post #5 of 22

yes, make sure you get the ones with the one flat side, the scissor kind dont cut as evenly as this kind.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 22

I use a pair of shears for cutting PVC piping. They cut so nice and evenly, that you don't have to mess with the sanding bit.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 22

Someone here once suggested large dog nail clippers (new of course). I works like a dream!

On a similar note- Anyone have suggestions for cutting the columns that push all the way through the cake? Same problem, but the clippers crush instead of cutting.

bjfranco Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:14am
post #8 of 22

I have to say the dog toe nail clippers struck me by surprised but then I thought about my huge dog's toenails and said, "HMMMMMMMMM". I got a piece of dowel and the toenail clippers that we bought to use on the dog but she totally freaks when she sees them so we have never used them. I tried it and it works like a dream! I LOVE it. I went today and bought a new pair. We never used the old ones but I just felt better with a fresh, new pair that the dog will never see. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!
bj icon_wink.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 22

In Toba Garrett's book, she used lollipop sticks. She used an exacto knife to cut them but I'm sure any sharp knife would do. This seems so much easier.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 22

Gardening shears are the best. Fast, sharp, even cuts every time. I think I have pruning loppers. Not sure, but they aren't very expensive at Home Depot. The work amazing.

Angie

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 22

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0925389047.1144846699@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccihaddhhkfglmecegecegjdghldggo.0&vertical=SEARS&gobutton=find&keyword=%2300937300000.&displayTarget=searchresults&gobutton.y=17&gobutton.x=17&verticalFullName=&ihtoken=1

I've heard people say that these were like cutting through butter when they cut dowels!!! That there was absolutely no effort involved.........even better than gardening pruners supposedly....don't own any yet myself...but they look interesting

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 22

I have a little hand saw that is used for cutting meats (I guess) and after I measure the dowels, I set them on the counter and roll it as I cut and then use the first one cut as a guide for the rest.
Tabby

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 8:07am
post #13 of 22

I found the perfect tool to cut those wood dowel rods, at of all places, a Hunting & Wildlife show. Its called the E-Z Kut Heavy Duty Ratchet Pruner. The cutting capacity is 1" and its like using a pair of scissors. It was relatively inexpensive ($19) and came with a lifetime warranty. I've had it for about 4 years now and it's still as sharp as the day I bought it. I actually had to fight my husband for it but it was worth the fight! icon_wink.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 22

I use wire cutters

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 22

i use garden shears too...

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 8:09am
post #16 of 22

I prefer the plastic dowels and I use a serrated knife to cut them.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 8:17am
post #17 of 22

Garden shears (1/2" works well) are good, but ratcheting garden shears are the best! It is absolutely effortless with a decent pair of ratcheting shears.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 22

Hmmm - and then do you use sanding paper or something to kind of clean up the end of the dowel rod or does it come out fairly clean? What about cutting them all the same length? Any problems using those scissor/shears?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:03pm
post #19 of 22

Hmmm - and then do you use sanding paper or something to kind of clean up the end of the dowel rod or does it come out fairly clean? What about cutting them all the same length? Any problems using those scissor/shears?

deborah_amos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deborah_amos Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm
post #20 of 22

I use the Pampered Chef kitchen shears for my wooden dowels. The bonus is that I can just throw them in the washing machine and they never rust.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:39pm
post #21 of 22

I'm special. not really lol. I have a bandsaw in the barn. My father was a cabinet maker and so is my brother. So I have an actual saw to cut mine.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:04pm
post #22 of 22

I use garden pruners as well. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%