Cake Samples

Business By cfdwife Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm by Erdica

cfdwife Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 13

Hello All, I just started to offer my cakes to more than family members and close friends. I had a request for samples for a graduation cake. I don't know how to handle this since I am not a bakery and don't have cakes just hanging around. icon_eek.gif

I asked the lady what sort of samples she was looking for...as in cakes? fillings or frostings? I am awaiting a reply.

Just want an idea to what I should do.

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

12 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 13

Can she walk into any bakery and get a "sample" when she's only planning on buying a graduation cake? OR will they make her buy a 6" cake if she wants to see what the cakes taste like?

There have been a number of threads on this and I've seen that some will not do samples on anything but weddings or on anything under a certain number of servings (i.e. 75 or something).

cfdwife Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you indydebi for your reply. I was thinking the same thing. I think I just needed to hear someone else say it as well.

Much Appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarbean Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 13

I only do samples for cakes over $200...

And even then its on my time line (so I group a bunch of tastings together, as well as I choose the flavours.

icon_smile.gif

annastx Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with Sugarbean....

I only do tasting for wedding cakes, I also give them a choice of three flavors to try from my list. I made small cakes, similar to cupcakes.

I became real tough on this after someone wanted me do to their cake so badly.....for about 50 people. Loved every flavor, asked for a couple of days to decide. Now remember, she found me because she was asking around, and everyone told her to come to me.
She never got back to me. then I found out she went to the grocery store for the cake, because she knew she waited to long to confirm with me.

Dont make yourself crazy, for everyone who wants to taste. Most of them are still shopping around. Also make sure its on your schedule.

cfdwife Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you everyone for your replies.

It turned out the lady needed the cake on a day I was all booked with prior engagements. But, this is a learning lesson and I will be posting something about samples on my website.

I don't do wedding cakes, so my opinion is there is no need for tastings. And if they want a taste of my work, then they can purchase a 6" round cake of what they was thinking about getting.

You all gave me so much confidence in just saying this, so thank you again... icon_lol.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 13

for the future, what I would do is a tasting w/ cupcakes. I would charge for them though... don't do it for free. Just keep out some batter from a couple of cakes that week and bake different flavored cc's... premake a batch of icing and split it into flavors and freeze so you have it on the go... just an idea!

cfdwife Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 13

You can freeze frosting?? WOW!! I don't know why I didn't realize that ..DUH!! I guess I'm so use to making everything for that day.

What a wonderful idea. Thank you!

gandelmom Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #9 of 13

What is the best way to freeze frosting and how long can you freeze it for?
thanks!

misha35 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #10 of 13

I read the 'freeze cupcakes so you have them on hand' suggestion on another thread yesterday & love the ideas --- I never would have thought of that. Sometimes when I bake to take dessert into the office, I don't need the whole 24 cupcakes - this could help me bake for 2 events at once.
Thanks!!!!!

Cake_Princess Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdwife

Hello All, I just started to offer my cakes to more than family members and close friends. I had a request for samples for a graduation cake. I don't know how to handle this since I am not a bakery and don't have cakes just hanging around. icon_eek.gif

I asked the lady what sort of samples she was looking for...as in cakes? fillings or frostings? I am awaiting a reply.

Just want an idea to what I should do.

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

She can sample after she buys the cake.

All jokes aside, unless she's spending big, making samples is not worth it.

HerBoudoir Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandelmom

What is the best way to freeze frosting and how long can you freeze it for?
thanks!

I just put it in a plastic container and pop it in the freezer. When I want to use it, I usually defrost in the fridge, then leave it on the counter to soften up. For the most part, you will need to re-beat it.

In the culinary class I took, we would always make SMBC ahead of time and freeze it, then defrost at a later class to use.

Erdica Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 13

I make mini cupcakes for samples. I started out making a 6" cake. But no one can eat 3 whole pieces of cake. Then I was left with all this extra cake. A lot of time in flavors my family didn't like. Now I do the mini cupcakes. They are bite size and people think they are really cute. LOL. But they can eat a couple and not feel like they've just wolfed down 3 pieces of cake. Plus they are easy to box up and send home with the client. I try to limit it to 3-4 flavors. I think people get overwhelmed if you 12 different flavors out for one tasting. That's just my two cents though. I do not charge for tastings but I know this works well for other bakers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%