Any One Around Knoxville, Tn Area?

Lounge By mrsdawnwhite Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 10:10pm by JulieB

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 33

Just thought I would ask if anyone was in or around the knoxville area? It would be great to have a few friends that enjoyed decorating cakes.....

Dawn

32 replies
CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:24am
post #2 of 33

No, but I am in the General Nashville area! Howdy fellow Tennessean!

mrsdawnwhite Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:44am
post #3 of 33

So nice to see someone else from TN!!! After posting I was beginning to think I was the only one out there!

Hello, and I hope you're doing well!

Dawn

Delie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delie Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:01am
post #4 of 33

I'm in Knoxville - glad to know that you are too. icon_lol.gif
Delie

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 33

Dawn -

There are several of us from TN. Of course, it's a BIG state! icon_smile.gif I'm in the Memphis area.

Suzette

sgmaluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgmaluv Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 33

I want to move to TN, does that count?

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 33

I'm in Lebanon, about 30 miles NE of Nashville. I too thought I was the only one out here in TN. Glad to know I have some cake company icon_biggrin.gif

natascharenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natascharenee Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 33

I am from Knoxville! i just joined last week.

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 33

I live in Knoxville!

But, if you're my mom (Who introduced me to these forums and who's sn I am unaware of) you already know this. icon_biggrin.gif

Except her IRL name is not Dawn.

So if not, then that makes 2 K town cake nuts.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 12:15am
post #10 of 33

Hi to all the Tennesseans icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I live just SE of Nashville. Have family in Lebanon. DH goes to Knoxville a few times a year to watch the Big Orange.

Monica_ Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 1:57am
post #11 of 33

So, I feel like I should start the introductions. icon_wink.gif

I'm Monica. (Surprise!) I'm 23 and live in S. Knoxville area. I have worked for a local catering company for a while now and have just started doing basic small cake stuffs for them. While it won't really amount to any profit and probably nothing elaborate yet, it's giving me a pretty safe environment to experiment and get organized with things like costs. SO if anybody wants copies of my price sheets for things like flour, eggs, etc, for the W. Knoxville Sam's club and the Chapman Highway walmart when I'm done... icon_razz.gif

I've only taken the the first Wilton cake course down at Susie's Pretty Petals in Seymour. My mother (who's also gotten into this) and I intend to take the 2nd whenever the opportunity comes around. I've always been an avid baker and getting into cake decorating has taken it to the next level by far. I'm still learning a lot. My BC roses still suck but at least my gumpaste ones are starting to look decent. Mostly experimenting with different recipies at this point.

Um, so yah. I'm also a computer geek and I'm married to a wonderful albiet exasperating husband!

So, who's next? icon_lol.gif

southernbelle Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:02am
post #12 of 33

I just moved to Lebanon last May from Colorado. I teach Wilton I II & III classes at Jo Ann's in Madison starting in August. Up to now I have just been doing the specialty classes.

Just did my first Wedding cake this past Saturday, talk about your stress!!! Also just found a great new cake store in Nashville called Street Wise that is going to offer advanced classes and has ton's of stuff I can spend more money on icon_confused.gif

I have a full time job doing claims for a large Insurance company in Nashville and we are also getting ready to move to another house in Lebanon next week....more stress icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif but it has a bigger kitchen and a walk in pantry for all my cake pans and decorating supplies icon_lol.gif

I really, really want to learn how to do gumpaste, just haven't had the time or anywhere to take classes until this new store opened. I am in heaven now icon_wink.gif

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:10am
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Also just found a great new cake store in Nashville called Street Wise that is going to offer advanced classes and has ton's of stuff I can spend more money on icon_confused.gif

I just read an article about this. Here it is if anyone local is interested.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=12&screen=news&news_id=48865

mrsdawnwhite Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:47am
post #14 of 33

This is so exciting for me!! I live a few miles away from Knoxville... because most people have never heard of La Follette I always say Knoxville area!! I didn't even know this place existed until I met my husband and I moved here... I'm in K town pretty often.. Because I like going to Hobby Lobby and the place I took decorating classes.. It's called Sugarbaker's and it is one of my absolute favorite places to go.. They have everything I need for pretty reasonable prices...

So Monica if you haven't been over there you should really go it's close to Clinton Hwy!!

Dawn

southernbelle Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 33

Lisa,

I have been to Sweet Wise and it is just wonderful! And Kathy is just so helpful. I have mainly been ordering from the internet but now have a place to go....and of course I can spend hours in there. Have you been to the store yet, if not, go check it out. I purchased fondx there and will never go back to mmf again icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 1:44pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

Lisa,

I have been to Sweet Wise and it is just wonderful! And Kathy is just so helpful. I have mainly been ordering from the internet but now have a place to go....and of course I can spend hours in there. Have you been to the store yet, if not, go check it out. I purchased fondx there and will never go back to mmf again icon_smile.gif

I haven't gotten a chance to go yet. I'm really looking forward to it though. Maybe I can get her recipe for white chocolate satinique icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

Monica_ Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 33

Yah I pop into Sugarbaker's pretty often as it's not far from my place of employment. Sweet's I've never heard of though.

southernbelle Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:38pm
post #18 of 33

Sweet Wise is in Nashville across from the Opryland Hotel. It isn't to far from where I work. Her shop is large and she carries alot of decorating tools plus boards and boxes. I saw a blurb on the morning news about it and ran down there the next afternoon. She has been a God send as there is nothing else around here that I know of.

suzystewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzystewart Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:11pm
post #19 of 33

Hey everyone. I had no idea there was so much competition in TN. Southernbelle, you're just a hop, skip, and a jump from me. There really isn't any local cake shops around here. I'm in Carthage (smaaaaaaaalllllll town).
Suzy

southernbelle Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:22am
post #20 of 33

I know where Charthage is, not that far. You should make a trip to Sweet Wise, it's worth the gas icon_smile.gif

beeline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beeline Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 5:31pm
post #21 of 33

Hi, I'm Beth and I'm new to Tennessee and to cake decorating. I took Wilton I with my best friend as a last hurrah before I left Texas. I just moved to Nashville a couple of weeks ago, and am looking forward to learning more skills. Hopefully I can find a place to finish the classes soon.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 5:46pm
post #22 of 33

Hi every on my name is Monica, also & I am from Chattanooga. Funny there is two Monica's on Cake Central Living in Tennessee!! LOL

CakePhun Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 8:19pm
post #23 of 33

Oh my gosh look at all of us! OK first things first... I had no idea about all the cake dec. stores you all mentioned in Nashville! the only one I knew of was sugardrop in Brentwood. It is Ok... very mom and popish which is awesome, but not a ton of stuff there. So, I am totally stoked to try the places mentioned above. Also, Carthage! Awesome my inlaws live in Lancaster which is about 7 miles from Gordonsville! Small world and yes you are right small town! hhahah
My name is Sunshine and I live in Nashville with my wonderful husband and sweet sweet baby boy! I have taken wilton 1,2, and 3 and would like to learn gumpaste. I have even thought of going to Chicago to learn at the wilton college. I have been looking for advance classes, but so far come up empty. Cakes are my creative outlet. My husbands is music and cakes are mine. So talk to you guys later, I need to start thinking about dinner (lets just eat cake ... hahahh) S

CakePhun Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 8:35pm
post #24 of 33

Oh ya and Lisa if you get that recipe .... do share!

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 2:15am
post #25 of 33

Okay I'm in Jonesborough Tn, anyone else. I'm proably about 2 or 2 1/2 hours from Knoxvilleicon_smile.gif

mrsdawnwhite Posted 15 Apr 2006 , 5:12am
post #26 of 33

Hi.. Iris!!! I am FROM Jonesborough.. I moved to La Follette about 7 yrs ago.. And yes you're right it's exactly 2.5 hours to get here... So exciting to see someone from home..

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 1:34am
post #27 of 33

Hey mrsdawnwhite, where in Jonesborough did you live, we've proably passed each other at the grocery store and didn't even know it at the timeicon_smile.gif

Azi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azi Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 1:20am
post #28 of 33

Hey Southernbelle I'm super close to you! I'm in Cookeville! I go to TTU! My boyfriend was actually looking for some property up near your way! I was wondering if anybody was close to me!

Azi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azi Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 1:24am
post #29 of 33

well that hey goes to Suzystewart too. hahaha...I jsut realized it was her that was from Carthage...hehehe OOPS icon_redface.gif

robinson5555 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinson5555 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 6:51pm
post #30 of 33

Hey ya'll! Just thought I'd drop a quick line from another Tennessean! I live in Friendsville TN (just a bit south of Knoxville) with my husband, 3 kids (ages 6, 2, and 6 months), 2 English bulldogs, 1 Olde English Bulldogge, and 1 Yorkie puppy. I'm pretty new to cake decorating and am so far self-taught. I would love to take the Wilton classes, but have to wait till my paychecks start rolling in. I've been a SAHM for the last 2 years and have just begun working from home as a medical transcriptionist! Nice to meet everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%