Cheesecake Recipe Recommendations

Decorating By newcakemaker Updated 14 Apr 2007 , 1:54am by newcakemaker

newcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemaker Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 18

So I was looking through the recipe section at cheesecake recipes, but I was wondering if anyone had any tried and true recipes?!

17 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 18

I have a great recipe I use all the time and it's super easy.........depending on the size of my pie plate (or if I use a springform and want a thicker cheesecake)...for a store bought crust I use 3 packages of cream cheese, 3 eggs, 3/4 c. sugar and a tsp. of vanilla......blend well, dump in the crust bake at 325 for 45 min. turn off oven, and open door and allow to cool.....for a springform I use 4 packages of cream cheese, 4 eggs, and a c. of sugar and 2 tsp. vanilla.........basically 1 egg and 1/4 c. sugar per pack of cream cheese is what I do....it always turns out perfectly with NO cracks and tastes rich and delicious!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 18

I thought, and I could be way off base here as I never, repeat, never make anything other then a boxed cake mix, that cheesecakes were made in a water bath or something similiar?

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 18

I have what I consider the best cheescake recipe. My husband loves it, it is NY style....big and heavy. I will give you it if you like. PM me if you want it. I have been making it for years and it never goes uneaten.

Stephanie

smbegg Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 18

You do not have to do them in a bath, I do not. I just bake in the oven and when the center has just about 1 inch unset, I shut the oven off and leave the oven do ajar until completely cooled. It takes a long time, but it prevents cracking.

Stephanie

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 18

well it sounds pretty simple .. what do you mean about one inch unset?

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 18

I highly recommend this cheesecake that I made for my boss for her birthday. It is perfectly delicious! It's the nilla praline cheesecake recipe from www.kraftfoods.com
LL

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 18

This is the recipe I always use from allrecipe.com. The recipe has almost 1000 reviews and five stars. I do not follow her crust recipe though, because she doesn't call for any sugar.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chantals-New-York-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 18

I've never baked mine in a water bath.....and I've never had cracks! I just leave the oven door open like I said until it cools.......I think that prevents the cracks!

newcakemaker Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:52am
post #10 of 18

Oh thank you thank you thank you!

Maryjsgirl - how do you make your crust since you dont use the one on the recipe.

Just so you know I will be using a springform pan. It is so nice when a post can help more than just the person asking the question!

Thanks again!
Crystal

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #11 of 18

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheesecake!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I always make a cheesecake any time we have a family get together...which is fairly often...I have sooooo many recipes. Are you looking for just a plain NY cheesecake or a flavored one, or what?? I have so many good cheesecake recipes, it's hard for me to pick just one to recommend, but if I know what you are looking for maybe I could help. For Easter I made a Mocha Truffle Cheesecake...not my favorite...but still good.
I don't do the water bath either...I did once and it turned out horrible thumbsdown.gif
I did read somewhere that you can put a pan of water on the bottom shelf while baking. I've never tried it though.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:20am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakemaker

Oh thank you thank you thank you!

Maryjsgirl - how do you make your crust since you dont use the one on the recipe.

Just so you know I will be using a springform pan. It is so nice when a post can help more than just the person asking the question!

Thanks again!
Crystal

I always just wing it, but here is what a lot of the reviewers of the recipe use...

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

For parties I like to just use three premade graham or shortbread crusts. I then add refrigerated cookie dough pieces into the batter before baking for a "chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake". This has become a family favorite.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:42am
post #13 of 18

For those who detest sour cream in cheesecake (such as myself) this is a fantastic cheesecake

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix the graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup of the white sugar, and the melted butter together. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9"-10" springform pan.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks; mix until smooth. Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups white sugar, the flour and the heavy cream. Blend until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then turn oven temperature down to 200 degrees F and continue baking for 1 hour, or until filling is set. Let cheesecake cool, then refrigerate.

To prevent a cracked cheesecake I suggest baking the crust first (for about 8 minutes) then fill the crust and follow the remaining baking directions from that point on.

smbegg Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

well it sounds pretty simple .. what do you mean about one inch unset?

I mean when you jiggle the cheesecake a little, only about 1 inch of the cheesecake is "un-set" or moving. It will continue to cook during the cooling process.

Stephanie

newcakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you so much to everyone for their help!

One other question, when you do the crust, do you make it go all the way up the sides or do you just cover the bottom of the pan?

newcakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 10:20pm
post #16 of 18

Well, I have to tell everyone how my experience went.

I made the cheesecake from the allrecipes.com site and it tastes really good, at least the batter anyway~!!! icon_razz.gif When I cooked it, it rose at least an inch above the pan so as it is cooling it has cracked HORRIBLY. There is a crater in the middle of my cheesecake!!! It tastes good though!

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 10:41pm
post #17 of 18

You can always cover it with a topping!!! icon_biggrin.gif

newcakemaker Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #18 of 18

Yeah, I thought about that! But, I am making a couple of different glazes so that people can choose what they want to put on it! Oh well, it tastes really good and that is all that matters.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%