Meringue Powder And Mmf

Decorating By dandelion Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 4:12am by Right_in_the_muffins

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 4:54am
post #1 of 7

will adding meringue powder to mmf make it dry faster or harder?
i'd like to make a fondant loop bow...last time i tried the loops were too soft.
what is the effect of mp on mmf?

6 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 4:59am
post #2 of 7

I've been wondering the same thing but I don't want to ruin a whole batch of MMF to find out either. Let us know if you work up the guts to do it.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

Hey guys - this past weekend I needed to harden up my MMF and I added some gumpaste (premade gumpaste that I bought - I've never made it myself before) and that worked. I had some Tylose powder but I had no idea how much to add. I've never used mereingue powder, except for royal, so I'm not sure, but I wasn't aware that it sped up the drying process. I had made some ropes with straight MMF and some with the gumpaste/MMF mixture and the one with gumpaste definitely hardened up more in a shorter period of time.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:56am
post #4 of 7

i tried it last night. the loops are still drying.
last time without the meruinge powder it took about a week for the loops to dry. then again those loops were constantly disturbed...my mother decided to take them off the dowel they were drying on for some reason and i had to put them back on.
it's been about 24 hours now and these new loops are drying pretty well...some are still a little floppy but most are stiff if not completely dry.
i added about 1/2 a teaspoon of meruinge powder to the tennisball sized lump of fondant. the consistancy got a little stickier, but a bit of powdered sugar fixed that.
Pyxxydust--thank you for the gumpaste tip. i'll be sure to try it when i start playing with gumpaste
i've also heard that powdered fixodent can help the fondant harden. can't remember off the top of my head who i got that tip from. but i'm really lazy icon_lol.gif and don't want to go out just to buy one thing...so i'm experimenting a little with the stuff i already have

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:03am
post #5 of 7

Yep, thats what I was gonna say, the fixodent trick. I havent tried it but I hear it works great.

Right_in_the_muffins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Right_in_the_muffins Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

when I make my mmf, to soften it before working I toss it into the micro wave and roll it out with butter and not only does it save me time kneading and warming it it also makes it a bit firmer as soon as it cools and I get nice shiny firm bows within 24 hours even on humid summer days. Using this method I have never had problems with my fondant not drying/being too soft

Right_in_the_muffins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Right_in_the_muffins Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:12am
post #7 of 7

if you microwave your mmf only use 2-3 seconds for about 3 cups of mmf it gets H-O-T fast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%