Where Should We Go? Vacation Ideas??

Lounge By cande Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 6:17pm by nikim

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 13

My Dh and I are coming home (to Michigan) in May/June. We want to take a vacation-in-a-vacation so to speak and go somewhere else for about 4-7 days. We would leave from the Chicago or Detroit airport.

Anyone have any ideas where we should go? Any great places to visit we should consider?? Where you would like to go or to return to? Any inexpensive treasures to share?

We would like to spend between $200-$400 per person for flight and hotel combined. We can't seem to agree on where we should go, so I thought I'd turn to the diversity of my second home for some input icon_biggrin.gif

(We were thinking along the lines of maybe a little golf, relax--spa, sight see, lay on the beach (or pool), shop, stroll around--I know that's not very helpful, lol which is why we can't decide where to go icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif )

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!!

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 13

are you looking for 200-400 per/person per/day or for the 4-7 days?

May I ask where you will be to begin with? There is a place in northern minnesota. Ely, Minnesota. It is one of my favorite places to visit. It is all about the wilderness up there. Beautiful country, but it is kinda outta the way. The closest (most reasonable airport) is Duluth, MN and then it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive.

There are a few resorts up there if you are looking for a nice relaxing place with allt he ammenities. However there are also a lot of cabins for rental, and there are also hotels on the different lakes. It all depends on what you like =)

http://www.ely.org/

here is the website to the town. There is so much to do there, expecially at the time you are looking at going.

I have a few other ideas, but have to take a look at them and see if there is a reasonable cost for you. Are you looking for somewhere close to the midwest so you get more relaxation time, or looking for somewhere outside of the midwest so you can see something new?

Hope you enjoy your stay in the area, no matter what you decide =)

Leily

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 13

i would love to return to the WI Dells

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 13

If I was you.....I would go as FAR FAR FAR away from MY kids...as you could!!! icon_lol.gif

cande Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks guys!

Leily--we were hoping to spend 200-400$ per person (400-800$ total for our hotel and flight and/ or rental car). Our trip to MI is already costing a small fortune, so we were looking for a reasonably cheap 'get-away'. We aren't really sure where we want to go, but if it is 'far' from MI (which is fine), then we would rather fly since we don't want to waste a lot of time driving to get wherever we end up.

We thought about an RV for 4-5 days, as well, instead of a flight + hotel...but I'm not sure how that works or where we would go, since we would start out from MI...

I guess it doesn't really help much that we don't have a general idea of where we want to go, huh?

We saw some mini-vacations on expedia or southwest (?) that included flight and hotel for 3 days to FL or VT, etc for 300-400$ pp, so thats where we came up with the price range... (?)

Doug--Are the Dells nice at the end of May? I thought it was still really cold then (umm, maybe I just don't have a clue, lol) cos Lake MI is still really cold then... (is there some logic there? lol)

lol@twinsline7!

Thanks for your suggestions guys!!

cande Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 13

*bump* we need to make final arrangements this week icon_biggrin.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 13

The panhandle of Florida and the Alabama gulf coast is GREAT this time of year!! There's a bit of a lull between the craziness of Spring Break tourists and the influx of Summer vacationers. There's an airport in Pensacola, FL...and the Alabama coast is just a 40 minute drive or so from there, if you wanted to travel that way. This is the best time of year down here, IMO...the summer's are waaayyy too hot...then late summer the hurricanes usually start up, plus the late afternoon rains almost daily, it seems. Spring...March-May, is the best time to visit, I think.

Here's a few links to the area....
http://www.gulfshores.com/

http://www.beachguide.com/

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/

http://www.gulfcoastrentals.com/

HTH - Hope you guys enjoy your trip...wherever you end up! Have a great vacation! icon_biggrin.gif

http://funandsun.com/1tocf/beachf/6/6b.html

http://www.destin-ation.com/beaches.htm

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 13

Have you considered Washington DC? It's lovely that time of year and LOTS to do for free! I highly recommend it, especially if you've never been.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 13

you should go to Montreal or Quebec City! It's as close as you can get to Paris without spending mega$$$ and it's beautiful.

Spring is on its way up here and there's not much snow I would think...at least none in Toronto anymore. I didn't even wear a coat today! icon_lol.gif

cande Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!! I'll let you know what we decide...I'm off to go research icon_biggrin.gif

cande Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 13

Helen,
Do you happen to know if German citizens need a visa to go to Montreal or Quebec City? I'm not sure if we'd have enough time to get one for my DH before we leave, we're leaving in 4 weeks (or can you get them at point-of-entry, i.e. no need to get one in advance?)

Just thought I'd ask since maybe you know icon_biggrin.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cande

Helen,
Do you happen to know if German citizens need a visa to go to Montreal or Quebec City? I'm not sure if we'd have enough time to get one for my DH before we leave, we're leaving in 4 weeks (or can you get them at point-of-entry, i.e. no need to get one in advance?)

Just thought I'd ask since maybe you know icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think so...just a passport, I'm pretty sure! You're not staying long enough to need a Visa.

Maybe some fellow Canadians on this website can confirm this??!! icon_confused.gif

nikim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikim Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 13

Have you ever been to Door County, WI? It has everything you are looking for, very nice place to relax with golfing, shopping and lots to do. They have many nice bed and breakfasts and inns to stay at too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%