Topsy Turvey Cake Covering Help!!!

Decorating By teganmcc Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 2:26am by missyek

teganmcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teganmcc Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

I am making a topsy turvy cake for my wedding cake and was wondering if there was a trick to putting the rolled fondant (sugar paste) on?
My dad and I had a practice at the bottom teir on the weekend and we ended up with tears and well it didnt really work very well.
We used the whimsical cake instructions which all went well except for that step, especially with the cut out circle and uneven top and sides.
Can anyone help me?

5 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

Make sure your fondant isn't rolled out too thin and it really helps to work with a frozen cake for the whimsys. When I did mine, the top two tiers were frozen when I covered them and I had no problems. When I did the botoom tier, it was not frozen and the darn cake fell apart and so did the fondant. I will be doing another whimsy this weekend and you bet that all the layers will be frozen before I work with them.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:18am
post #3 of 6

I'll be doing my first topsy-turvy next week- I'm so glad you asked about this, because I was wondering, too.

Does covering the frozen cake cause condensation (melting) on the fondant? Is there a way to prevent this?

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:21am
post #4 of 6

Hey, Jacks Back! I agree with missyek. make sure the fondant is thicker and that the cake is frozen

missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

I'll be doing my first topsy-turvy next week- I'm so glad you asked about this, because I was wondering, too.

Does covering the frozen cake cause condensation (melting) on the fondant? Is there a way to prevent this?

I froze each of the separate layers and then assembled, trimmed and carved the center out for each tier while the cakes were still frozen. I then put on a crumb coat and by the time I put on the fondant, the cake was halfway thawed, but still sturdy enough not to break--especially at the top lip where the hole was cut. I did not have much of a condensation problem at all, but if it does show up, just allow for some time to let the cake to come back to room temp completely.

missyek Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsouza

Hey, Jacks Back! I agree with missyek. make sure the fondant is thicker and that the cake is frozen

Hee Hee--isn't he dreamy?! And he is all MINE!!! Muh ha ha ha!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%