Lambeth Technique

Decorating By southaustingirl Updated 29 May 2014 , 5:38pm by nellirosas

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 69

Does anybody use it technique? I would like to learn some tips.......looks really nice. But I don't see it used vry much I ws wondering if it was an outdated technique.

Anyone know of any good 'how-to' sites or books?? Bronwen Weber has an example on her site.

http://www.bronwenscakes.com/wedding.htm

The first wedding cake on the second row is an example of this technique.

68 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 69

Lambeth is a method of overpiping layers of decorations. Toba Garretts book has examples. One of here cakes features the Lambeth method. She lists is as selling for $15,000.00

I haven't found any books that clearly demonstrate the method. Maybe someone else knows of a book.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 69

They're teaching a class at the Wilton school on this method in October. It's way beyond my price range, but it's definately something I want to learn. Hmmm... must put that on my wish list.

Rachel

sugar-fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-fairy Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 6:41am
post #4 of 69

There is a book by Lambeth titled The Lambeth Method of Cake Decorating. I've had the book for years and have never achieved the look. It's no wonder that most of his cakes were made for royalty and those who perfect the style can *really* charge for it.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:36am
post #5 of 69

I talked to my teacher about it today and she said that everyone she knows who has ever done it or learned it has said, "Yeah right, never again." I'm still interested in learning it, but DANG, I can't imagine the amount of work she said it is.

Rachel

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 8 Apr 2006 , 5:39am
post #6 of 69

looks nice but if you all are looking into it and the lessons are that expensive and books that hard to understand, i sure that i'll just be admiring the pictures of this technique

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 69

It seems that it only has four layers in the pictures provided. Am I looking at that correctly? Is there anything to it besides overpiping a few layers? Am I over simplifying this?

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 69

I know what you mean about it looking simple. I'm surprised to find out that it's not. I've never tried it, but they give instructions on how to do it in some of the old Wilton yearbooks I have. I wonder why it's so traumatizing! I remember reading that you have to let each layer dry in between.

Nana784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana784 Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 69

The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Volume Three has some beautiful cakes with the overpiping and very good instructions. You may find it on e-Bay.[/img]

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:52am
post #10 of 69

It sounds stressful.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:10am
post #11 of 69

I took a Lambeth Method class from Edith Gates in 1964. It was a 5 day class and I have never worked so hard in my life. Beautiful work, but really time consuming. And you have to wait for each line of piping to dry completely before adding the next so that it stands up and doesn't lean over. We did one cake with 3,000 apple blossom made with a 101s rose tip, petal by petal. By the time we had done 1/4 of them people were asking their tablemates if they could borrow some cornstarch, royal icing, etc. and the answer was usually "Yes, but in exchange for 2 dozens apple blossoms."

I did my own wedding cake in the Lambeth style in 1971, took me 18 hours to complete. As beautiful as it is, it isn't really practical. No one wants to eat rock hard royal icing, and doing a Modified Lambeth in buttercream just isn't the same effect. Here are two photos of my Lambeth cakes. The first is in royal, the second is a modified design in buttercream. Pretty, but like comparing apples and oranges. You just don't get the same effect in buttercream. I have my original Lambeth book from 1964, paid $29.00 for it at the time the most I had ever paid for a book. Now try and find it for under $200.00 and it is a bargain. And by the way, there are two Lambeth books out there, one being a simpler version with mostly baked goods. The one with the original Lambeth overpiping is called
Lambeth Method Of Cake Decorating And Practical Pastries.

Royal Icing
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=126
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=127

Buttercream

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=128

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=129

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:07am
post #13 of 69

Thank you Jan, that is very flattering. I just got out some old photos, and I am talking 43 years old. Here is my completed class project from the Lambeth class taught by Edith Gates in 1964 in Long Beach, Ca. We had a cake exhibit of our work when class was completed and the cakes were judged. Mine came in second. Wish I had a photo of the first place winner, it was very Victorian and elaborate.
LL

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:53am
post #14 of 69

Shirley, it's a good thing I can type my response because my jaw is on the floor.....

That's just a fabulous creation.

Do you happen to have a picture of your wedding cake.....

ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:57am
post #15 of 69

Thank you very much.
You know at the time of my wedding we had a terrible photographer who didn't get any pictures of the cake. I have old snapshots that relatives took of the cake and of us cutting the cake but I'm not even sure where they are. If I come across them I will see if I can scan and post them.

nglez09 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:59am
post #16 of 69

I'm speechless. icon_surprised.gif If Toba's little thing costs $15,000, yours must be at least $80,000! Ms. Shirley- you are brilliant (so is that teacher!). I am in awe. I can't say how stunned I am.

Just. . .wow. icon_eek.gif

ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:02am
post #17 of 69

I'm sorry Nick, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I just thought you might get a kick out of seeing this old photo. I was young and energetic then, don't know if I could put in that much work on a cake today.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:06am
post #18 of 69

I'm impressed too, Shirleyw, that is an absolutely fantastic creation! So much work! Beautiful!

ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:32am
post #19 of 69

Thank you Janice. I can remember actually crying at the end of that class just from sheer exhaustion. We were all feeling the same way.

nglez09 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I'm sorry Nick, I didn't mean to highjack your thread. I just thought you might get a kick out of seeing this old photo. I was young and energetic then, don't know if I could put in that much work on a cake today.

Don't worry about anything; you bettered the thread by showing actual "footage", if you will. And it wasn't even my thread to begin with. icon_redface.gif

ShirleyW Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:22am
post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

Does anybody use it technique? I would like to learn some tips.......looks really nice. But I don't see it used vry much I ws wondering if it was an outdated technique.

Anyone know of any good 'how-to' sites or books?? Bronwen Weber has an example on her site.

http://www.bronwenscakes.com/wedding.htm

The first wedding cake on the second row is an example of this technique.

Oh, it was your thread I highjacked, I was thinking it was Nick's, Anyway, sorry.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #22 of 69

Sugar-Fairy -

Hang onto that book! Have you priced it on eBay lately? They are getting a fortune for it! I have two copies, and both are in a safe deposit box, along with my Wilton Encyclopedias. I even have the supplement to the Lambeth book, and the pattern books for the encyclopedias!

So glad I bought them when I did. In the past two years, the Lambeth book has quintupled in average price, and I have not seen the pattern books for the encyclopedias since just after I won my last auction on them at eBay.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:35am
post #23 of 69

bronwens link didnt work for me icon_cry.gif

ShirleyW Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:57am
post #24 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Sugar-Fairy -

Hang onto that book! Have you priced it on eBay lately? They are getting a fortune for it! I have two copies, and both are in a safe deposit box, along with my Wilton Encyclopedias. I even have the supplement to the Lambeth book, and the pattern books for the encyclopedias!

So glad I bought them when I did. In the past two years, the Lambeth book has quintupled in average price, and I have not seen the pattern books for the encyclopedias since just after I won my last auction on them at eBay.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa
That must be where mine came from, one of my cake friends in England scanned Lambeth template, side and top designs of cakes from some book and burned them onto a DVD for me, or I guess it's a CD, I can watch it on my computer or DVD player. Does this look like a picture from that pattern book?
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:10am
post #25 of 69

Shirley,

My copies of the book are in the bank, so I will have to go and check. I see that it is plate number 3 on page 19, so I will start the reference from there, but to tell the truth, I recall the book starting with pastries, then working toward cake decorating at the back of the book.

I will let you know within a few days, but if I am right about how the book is arranged, I do not think it is from that book.

On the other hand, that type of decorating is from that era, so either way you have a goldmine CD there. It could be copied from a small number of very, very valuable cake decorating books that are unknown here because they are UK publications.

I saw a book last year on eBay that sold for almost $200 USD. The book was only 119 pages, and it was nothing but plates of cakes from that era. Gorgeous designs. I bid up to $100 on it, and did not come close.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:05am
post #26 of 69

There was another British cake decorator who did designs very similar to Lambeth, he was called Nirvana and had 4 books out. I had all of them and sold them a few years ago. I can still see them, leather bound, smaller than Lambeths book, the covers were Brown, Maroon, Dark Green and Dark blue. Those designs templates could have come from one of those books..

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:26am
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Thank you very much.
You know at the time of my wedding we had a terrible photographer who didn't get any pictures of the cake. I have old snapshots that relatives took of the cake and of us cutting the cake but I'm not even sure where they are. If I come across them I will see if I can scan and post them.

I was given that book...

Lamberth Method of Cake Decoration and pracital pastries as a thank you for working for someone for about 2 years!

The book cost about 350 dollars over 7 years ago..that and the blue Baroque wilton molds are 2 of my most treasured possession..the Wilton Plastic sugar castle mold my 3rd. ( I could NEVER get that darn thing to work! lol)

The book is full of old techniques including how to make plaster of paris molds!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:38am
post #28 of 69

This is really cool stuff! I love learning about old techniques. I have heard of this before but never really knew what it was. Thanks for all of the interesting information, everyone!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry0121

This is really cool stuff! I love learning about old techniques. I have heard of this before but never really knew what it was. Thanks for all of the interesting information, everyone!

strawberry , if you can find yourself an old copy it may be worth the money.

I love reading where he refers to his clients as "MADAME"..lol

as in..

"if Madame places an order of petite fours...."

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:18am
post #30 of 69

I would love to be referred to as "madame"...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%