It Wouldn't Work!

Decorating By crylynn Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 9:54am by blessBeckysbaking

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:20am
post #1 of 8

O.K. So my friend asked me to make her sons birthday cake a month ago. I thought to myself 'Great! Plenty of time!'. Well, her son asked that I put the Independent (a skateboard company) logo on it. Because there would be so much black in it, I decided that I would use the edible can sprays. I printed the design on my computer, and cut it out as a stencil. Then I cut out the center that would be red. Well, last night (the cake was for his party today) I tested the edible sprays and stencil I had made on a paper towel and discovered that the color did not come out even, or heavy enough, so I would have to do a buttercream transfer. So there it was, almost midnight (I won't get into the delay of being out of milk for the cheesecake mousse filling) and I am making black (I don't have chocolate to start with) and red icing. Well, I decided to not put the black and red transfer on the cake until I got to my friends house with the cake because I did not want the black to bleed. Long story short, when I went to put it on the cake, it BROKE THEN FELL DOWN ONTO THE CAKE! I was so mad! Thankfully I was holding it correctly over the cake when it fell so it only ended up a little off center and the broken pieces fell perfectly into place. I used my finger to smooth the breaks together so you could not even tell it had broken, but me and my friend knew. The cake was iced with white buttercream, and the logo was supposed to be the only decoration on the cake (no writing to keep room for the candles) so it could have been a disaster of a lifetime. All I can say is that luck was with me on that one, and I have SO learned my lesson. BTW, I did not fill the outside edge of the bct with white (to match the cake) icing, as I did not want the black to bleed. I thought I had made it thick enough that it would not break or get damaged. Oh yeah, I learned my lesson.

A great big THANK YOU to the 'It could have been worse' fearies.

Crystal

7 replies
blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:26am
post #2 of 8

Awww it sounds like it all worked out at the end and that is waht really counts and the plus it was for a friend and not a new order! hope to see the cake !

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:45am
post #3 of 8

I already posted the pic, but here it is. I did actually get a graduation cake order out of it (and they knew the bct had broken)! It did all work out in the end, but when it broke and fell out of my hands, I could have screamed and passed out! When I realized the damage was not as bad as it could have been, I could have laughed and passed out!

It was an experience I do not want to go through again! All the adults and kids loved the cake, and were talking about it long after we had finished eating it, so that really boosted me up as well.

Crystal
LL

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 6:56am
post #4 of 8

I like the cake. Thank goodness for the cake fairies!! I would have felt the same way that you did about the bct. I can't imagine how you managed to not pass out!! But you did a fantastic recovery job. Pat yourself on the back for a terrific save!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 8

I'd never have know it broke or fell! You did a great job on the cake and on the BCT thumbs_up.gif

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 8

GREAT SAVE. IF YOU HADN'T TOLD US WE WOULD NEVER KNOW. YOU CAN'T TELL THAT IT BROKE. EXCELLENT JOB ON THE CAKE

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

Great save, looks perfect to me.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 9:54am
post #8 of 8

it do look great would of never known you should be proud!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%