Baking Frozen Cookie Dough

Baking By maladymay Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 4:40pm by JenWith

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! I have an order for 300 sugar cookies as wedding favors for a friend at the end of the month. I have already started on the dough, and cutting out the shape and freezing them so I wont have quite as much to do when I have to start working on them... My question is, when I take the precut dough out of the freezer, can I just plop them in the oven and bake as normal, or do I have to let them thaw first? Please help! icon_biggrin.gif
TIA!!!
*liz

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 8

You could make a small batch and practice .... take some out of the freezer and bake 2 frozen and 2 thawed on the same cookie sheet to see how they come out.

I've made cookie balls ahead of time (choc chip, snickerdoodles .... those kind that I just use a cookie scoop for) and put them in the freezer. I've taken them from freezer to oven and the only difference I saw was they didn't spread 'quite' as much, which may be a good thing with shaped sugar cookies! thumbs_up.gif

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with indydebi. You can also bake all the cookies now and freeze them then take them out in batches as you decorate. Just be sure the cookies are completely thawed before you begin decorating. I've done this a number of times with huge orders and it works like a charm. HTH!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:05am
post #4 of 8

I have baked the cookie dough straight from the freezer and I have had no problems. All my Easter cookies were cut out and frozen then kept in an airtight container in the freezer. When it was time to bake, I just took them out and placed them on the cookie sheets and popped them straight into the oven.

Some of my bunnies spread a little but all the other shapes were fine.

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:51am
post #5 of 8

Freezing my shaped cookie dough is the only way I go. I roll the dough between wax paper, cut the shapes and throw in the freezer. When they are frozen, I put them in the oven to bake. This is the best way for me when making the NFSC.

wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 8

I too, cook my cookies from the frozen state right out of the oven! Works great every time.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 8

Yay! icon_biggrin.gif
I knew I could count on you guys for some good answers! I'll try it first - I have time - but hopefully they'll be ok to just take out and bake. (I dont want to have to thaw 300 cookies if I can avoid it!)
judge.gif <-- This guy is funny!

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

Me too! Bake straight from the freezer. I just bake at a lower temp (325) for a few minutes longer. Works like a charm! party.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%