Gone With The Wind Or Southern Plantation Themed Cake

Decorating By khiggins Updated 9 Apr 2006 , 2:52am by mendhigurl

khiggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khiggins Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am donating a cake for an after prom party. The theme of the prom is Southern charm...does anyone have any ideas for a sheet cake. I need to feed approzimately 70 people. I thought about doing a sheet cake of some kind and then doing a couple of the doll cakes with the wonder mold pans so they would have the big dresses and I could add bonnets and such to them. The sheet cake is throwing me for a loop though. Any ideas would help. Thank you icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

I was in Natchez, Mississippi 2 weeks ago, and they were having their annual Springtime pilgrimage. You can actually tour some of the pre-civil war mansions and the people are dressed in period costume. One of the things that was very beautiful was all of the azaleas and dogwoods in bloom. I mean, there was every color azalea you could imagine, everywhere they could possibly be planted! That would be something very pretty to put on a sheet cake, especially with the doll cakes dressed in the Southern Belle style! Can't wait to see pics of your cake!

Marilyn

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 7

How about making two sheet cakes with columns separating the two to look like a plantation? Then a doll cake decorated as a southern belle?

Here is a picture of a plantation to help with what I was thinking.
LL

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

How about doing a transfer of a picture of a Southern Planation....maybe decorate the sides of the cake with a fondant picket fence and native southern flowers.....I tried to post a pic of a plantation but it didn't work.........kinds looked like a Thomas Kincade picture.

nccmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nccmama Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:19am
post #5 of 7

How about magnolia flowers on the cake? I've never done them, but I'm sure that you can do it, at least with fondant. The cake could even be red velvet, since that's a classic southern cake.

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 12:50am
post #6 of 7

I like the plantation - column idea. But I think that southern belle should wear a red dress!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Apr 2006 , 2:52am
post #7 of 7

If they have a specific theme/design on the tickets or invitations (if they had those) maybe you can replicate those on the sheet cake. I think that magnolias, dogwoods, around the edges, and maybe Prom 2006 _ _ High in the middle would look good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%