Food Network Arwards Cake

Lounge By Cake_Mooma Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm by sweetbaker

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #1 of 117

To day at 10:00 pm (est) they are showing the Food network Awards Cake with a Culinary themed Cake.

This was a reminder if you guys and gals forgot. It is a new episode.

Vic icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

116 replies
mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #2 of 117

For anybody that missed it icon_sad.gif at 10:00. It will be on again at 1:00 am (est) for those of us that missed it the first time. icon_biggrin.gif

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #3 of 117

Thanks for the information I will set my dvr for it.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:19am
post #4 of 117

I just finished watching it. Surprised with the outcome and Collette had so much trouble with her cake. What did you all think?

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:22am
post #5 of 117

Talking about the food network ... I watched Ace of Cakes for the first time the other evening. I thought the cakes were amazing!!! Plus they were so confident with handling/delivering the cakes! Maybe I will be like that one day ...........

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:22am
post #6 of 117

I thought that the first team did a FANTASTIC job with all the food. It looked so real icon_eek.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:28am
post #7 of 117

It was a great show! I only really liked one cake, but man was it something! icon_biggrin.gif

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:30am
post #8 of 117

I thought it was great. I couldn't pick a winner between the two that ended up tying in the end either. They were just so good, and so detailed! I couldn't even do a small portion of the details of either of those cakes in 8 hours!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:31am
post #9 of 117

Yeah it was cool! I felt kind of bad that one of the main problems was that weird fondant Colette's team used. And surprised that with her experience they didn't think of how heavy the cake would be.

I also loved the detailed food from the one team.

I wonder how you get to enter local challenges? I wanna try!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #10 of 117

Oooh! I missed it! But I just set my PVR...its on at 10pm hereicon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:34am
post #11 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Yeah it was cool! I felt kind of bad that one of the main problems was that weird fondant Colette's team used. And surprised that with her experience they didn't think of how heavy the cake would be.

They have a company called Highnoon that has research people doing all the leg work from ehat I have seen. They have tons of people wanting to enter. A good way is to compete and get exposer!

weelala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weelala Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:41am
post #12 of 117

eeek, anyone know when its on in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? We're in the Mountain GMT timezone....Ohhh dear I hope I didnt miss it >.<

cocakedecorator Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #13 of 117

it will be on again at 11 pm mountain time

cocakedecorator Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:49am
post #14 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Right, I was very surprised that she didn't realize that cake was going to be so heavy. The Chocopan they were using was really causing them trouble and the lady competing w/ Collette was talking about how great the exposure would be for her company and the product. Hmm, that kinda backfired. Plus they had to remove an entire layer of the design. I really liked the 2 winners but like the one with all the detailed food the best.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:49am
post #15 of 117

I enjoyed the event immensely. All three entries were impressive, and give me inspiration to explore unique decorations and very "outside the box" decorating.

I was surprised and disappointed, but found informative, the performance problems they had with the Choco-Pan rolled fondant. I have always heard wonderful reviews of the product, but now I am guessing that it depends upon the area in which you live, heat and humidity factors. The TV lights did not help, but other brands of fondant have been used under TV lights without that problem.

I missed the first few minutes of the program. Does anyone know if the bottom tier of the cake that Colette's team did had any icing or piping gel on it to help the Choco-Pan adhere to the cake? It looked like bare cake to me.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:49am
post #16 of 117

I too, liked the team that made all the little foods - with the tv in it. I thought they did an amazing job, just wish the top part of the cake was decorated a little more. but they all did spectacular

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:57am
post #17 of 117

two things: I kind of wondered if Collette just wasn't trying her best to win given that she has won so many times before. She seems like the kind of person that would not mind letting someone else win every once in a while. I don't know.....just a crazy thought.

Secondly......I turned the channel at the end to see how Without a Trace turned out, so when I turned it back, they had somehow gotten the cake to the table and everyone was all teary eyed.
What did I miss? How did they get it there??

moydear77 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:01am
post #18 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I was surprised and disappointed, but found informative, the performance problems they had with the Choco-Pan rolled fondant. I have always heard wonderful reviews of the product, but now I am guessing that it depends upon the area in which you live, heat and humidity factors. The TV lights did not help, but other brands of fondant have been used under TV lights without that problem.
Theresa icon_smile.gif

I seem to remember another challenge...the cartoon character challenge where it was 80 degress and they had all sorts of trouble with fondant, modeling choc and such.

moydear77 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:02am
post #19 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

two things: I kind of wondered if Collette just wasn't trying her best to win given that she has won so many times before. She seems like the kind of person that would not mind letting someone else win every once in a while. I don't know.....just a crazy thought.

Secondly......I turned the channel at the end to see how Without a Trace turned out, so when I turned it back, they had somehow gotten the cake to the table and everyone was all teary eyed.
What did I miss? How did they get it there??

Bronwen jumped in and all the others followed to help carry the cake over. It was great to see!!!

rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:09am
post #20 of 117

awww, that's nice. Was that allowed? Having more than three people move it?

moydear77 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

awww, that's nice. Was that allowed? Having more than three people move it?

I think it hur them a great deal. I have seen four challenges live and it is not as serious as they make it out to be!

In the end it did not make a difference. Linda Shonk is a very talented lady. As far as choco pan it was seen in bad light. Imagine all the heat, lights and other factors involved. I know many people who use it and love it!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #22 of 117

I also watched it and LOVED every minute of it! Marina's cake was my favorite, with Bronwen's a close second! The details of all the food on both cakes was just amazing! I loved the TV that Bronwen made as her bottom tier! Although I absolutely LOVE Collette Peters, I was disappointed with the cake design and execution. I can imagine the problems they had with Choco-Pan. I use that product a lot for detail work and it is very soft....so if you're not used to it and have stage lights to boot, it would be nearly impossible to use successfully! They did the best they could and they get an A+ for effort! It was really great to see all the others pitch in and help them move the cake to the table! One of my favorite competitions to date!

rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:16am
post #23 of 117

000 000
000 000

\\/

> <
> <
>>>>><<<<

Sorry....just playing around.

rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #24 of 117

ha....that was supposed to be a smily face! Kinda crashed and burned with that one (like Collete's cake tonight!)

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:31am
post #25 of 117

I must be in the minority but while I thought they all were great cakes, Marina's was really good, I thought the program was boring. The last few haven't done much for me, they seem a bit drawn out and not focusing enough on the details but everyone's thoughts and whatnot.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #26 of 117

I just love Bronwen's personality...if I could have chosen which group to work in I would have chosen her, although my favorite was the one with all the little food, they were organized and did a fabulous job.

I felt bad for the "choco pan" company because you know nobody who watched that is ever going to try it! I'm sure it has good flavor since its white chocolate though.

As far as challenges...guess I'll have to wait for some more years before I can compete in much of anything....for some reason they don't have cake shows in Philly which means most cake shows are minimum 2-4 hours away and with three little ones and one on the way I am not able to travel and be gone like that.

Oh well!

cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:58pm
post #27 of 117

I was also a little concerned for Choco-Pan since they showed the product name/container.....it does taste really, really good though! I will continue to use it!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:01pm
post #28 of 117

Great show!!! I was so disappointed about Collette icon_sad.gif I don't think I have ever seen her lose, it seemed like she almost wanted to be disqualified icon_sad.gif I LOVED Bronwen as always, her cakes & personality rock. Loved the way she jumped right in to help Collette even though she could have wound up losing because of it. Loved the ACE she put in her cake to represent Duff, she is just so cool thumbs_up.gif Marina's cake was probably the best one, if they could have finished it completely it would have been awesome.
All around great challenge once again icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:08pm
post #29 of 117

Collette just seemed like they got off on the wrong foot..their design wasn't as fancy as the other two and then with the fondant problems they just had it rough to begin with.

Plus it seemed like their team wasn't quite as suited to each other as the other teams were...I didn't hear either of the other "pros" telling the others what to do, they already had it all planned out.

cambo Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:10pm
post #30 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustbunny

Great show!!! I was so disappointed about Collette icon_sad.gif I don't think I have ever seen her lose, it seemed like she almost wanted to be disqualified icon_sad.gif

I must say, I thought the exact same thing....it seemed like Collette would rather have been disqualified.....almost as if she were embarrassed of the cake icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%