April's Cookie Theme

Baking By Cake_Princess Updated 30 Apr 2006 , 9:40pm by Kos

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 4:45pm
post #91 of 139

Hi everyone,
This is the first time I have clicked on to this link. The cookies are all great! Looks like we have a bunch of pros here!!!! I love doing cookies, but mine are no where as nice as these. I've been trying to concentrate on improving my cake decorating and cookies have been on the back burner for awhile. This is making me itchy for cookie baking and decorating. I'm just sitting here thinking how fun it would be to arrange with my grandson's daycare to have a cookie day and take some cookies and all the fixins for the kids to decorate.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 5:12pm
post #92 of 139

Just wanted to say, great cookies, everyone! Hopefully I will be able to join in in the future when time allows. Keep up the good work!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 8:46pm
post #93 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynewyear

Cookie Voyeur here. Waiting to see how cake princess, Antoinia , and all the others interpret the theme. All the cookies so far have been really great. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I cant wait to get my digital camera to work so I can try. It will probably be next month. icon_cry.gif
Here are schools May Bulletin Board Ideas. I dont know if that would be helpful.
(Spring, Kites, Wind, Mother's Day)> Are there saying for each month? I can think of some of them but are the some for all of them?
Just love the theme idea for the cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

Heehee, you folks had better be careful with the May theme, remember the old song about May?
I was walking down the street one day.
In the merry, merry month of May...
With some of the folks that you have participating in this group, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of the "Twisted Sister's Group" trying to pass off Christmas cookies with some lame connection to the "Merry" part of Merry Christmas. Gotta watch some of this gang very carefully, haha! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif
Hugs Squirrelly

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 9:01pm
post #94 of 139

That funny icon_lol.gif I always have liked the themes. I try to have theme dinners for different months too.
Your right it could end up with anything if it wasn't narrowed down. My family does that with gifts they have A WIDE interpretation. icon_confused.gif

NOW Squirrelly your pulling our leg there's no one twisted on here is there! icon_biggrin.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 9:12pm
post #95 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynewyear

That funny icon_lol.gif I always have liked the themes. I try to have theme dinners for different months too.
Your right it could end up with anything if it wasn't narrowed down. My family does that with gifts they have A WIDE interpretation. icon_confused.gif

NOW Squirrelly your pulling our leg there's no one twisted on here is there! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh-oh, themed dinners, seems like we have a "Martha in the making here"! Haha, well that isn't a bad thing, I like that idea myself, you are making the ordinary extra special, lots of fun.
Hhmn, nobody that is twisted in this group? Uhhh, how about, nobody that isn't, it appears, haha! icon_twisted.gif
Sounds like you have a fun family, busy making memories!
Hugs Squirrelly

babynewyear Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 9:31pm
post #96 of 139

Thanks Squirrelly, My boys would laugh to hear you calling me Martha. I think some of my past cake disaster would cut me right out of that catagory. icon_wink.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:40am
post #97 of 139

Okay, I kind of changed my mind a few times about what I was going to do for the April theme. I had Garden Gnome cookies in mind, until Meghan89's awesome Gnome cake! icon_cry.gif Didn't want to repeat her amazing theme, so here are my second choices of Lily-of-the-Valley flowers and the Canadian Cancer Society Daffodil logos for a charity bakesale tomorrow:
LL

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 12:59am
post #98 of 139

lovin the daffodils Helen.....great job!!!

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:01am
post #99 of 139

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif hmmmm, you got names to go with that little group Squirrelly?? I'll have to be sure to watch out for them!!! icon_confused.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:44am
post #100 of 139

Those are so pretty, Helen! Love, love those daffodils!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 3:25am
post #101 of 139

I'm a May baby so of course I like the Lillies of the Valley. Awesome job Helen!! Kudos to your cancer charity cookies! That's a wonderful thing. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kos

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 6:00pm
post #102 of 139

Helen, I love the lily of the valley flowers!

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 6:08pm
post #103 of 139

love the cookies Helen! I knew you would whip out something outstanding! absolutely great!

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 7:32pm
post #104 of 139

These are the No Fail Sugar Cookies with Antonia's Royal Icing....
LL

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 6:58pm
post #105 of 139

Here are my April cookies. I made these for Admin Assist day and also as samples for future sales for Mother's Day next month. They are sugar cookies with MMF and fondant writer accents.
LL
LL

bonniebakes Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 7:26pm
post #106 of 139

Ngarza07 - wow! great job! those boquets are beautiful - I'm sur eyou'll get lots of orders!

TJSCakes - pretty flowers. I like the color combinations you chose.

Babynewyear - don't worry, you're not alone... I do theme dinners too (more than once a month). Maybe it's the former teacher in me....

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 7:31pm
post #107 of 139

Bonniecakes,

I'm hoping I don't get too many orders. I've created a spreadsheet with a max number I'll accept. At Christmas I baked almost everynight for two weeks and do not want to repeat that performance. It's still just a fun stress reliever outlet for me when I get home from my 'real' job. And I get to buy more cookie cutters and supplies without feeling like I'm spending my real money on my hobby.

Nancy

Kos Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 8:20pm
post #108 of 139

TJSCAKES--Great cookies! I love the bright colors.

ngarza07--Beautiful! What an arrangement. Love that pot too!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kos

babynewyear Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 11:37pm
post #109 of 139

bonniebakes Thats great. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I started it to teach manners and it ended up a great way to try different types of food (that might be bad) icon_rolleyes.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:06pm
post #110 of 139

I wanta play too! This is my third attempt at cookies. No-fail with royal icing. Hey weren't a few people suppose to decorate with one hand tied behind their back????
You folks amaze me with your skills!!
LL

Kos Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 7:20pm
post #111 of 139

Really cute and such unique cutters NEWTODECORATING. You have some great detail going on here.

We're still waiting for Cake_Princess to do her cookies with a hand tied behind her back. Could be what's taking her so long.

kos
icon_lol.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 10:48pm
post #112 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

We're still waiting for Cake_Princess to do her cookies with a hand tied behind her back. Could be what's taking her so long.

kos
icon_lol.gif

I told you I was gonna bake last weekend then I pushed it back to this week. This week rolls around and I am sick. I have a slight cold but the other night I had a bad headache and ruptured a blood vessel in my nose. I blew my nose (not hard at all) and the tissue was filled with blood.

Really I don't think anyone wants cookies laced with snot, blood and cold germs. I am feeling much better now so this weekend I will do my baking... It will still be April. Keep your knickers on!!!!

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 12:59am
post #113 of 139

I finally tried making the cutter cookies for the first time. I used the no fail recipe for the dough and loved how they came out. I also realized that I have a lot of practicing to do before I get good at decorating them. I cannot get them to post on here so I will add them to my photos if I can figure out how to do that.

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 1:04am
post #114 of 139

The pictures uploaded with no problem into the cookie gallery. Would someone please tell me how you attach a picture to the forums? I hope that you can see my pics and tell me what I did wrong and need to work on.

bonniebakes Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 12:12pm
post #115 of 139

newtodecorating - WOW! thowse are so cute! I love the ducks! I think you should be one of the ones who has to decorate with one hand tied behind your back!

craftst3 - how did you like the cookie dough? what kind of icing did you use? Did you spread it on or pipe it on?
edited to add: To attach a photo in a post, just click on the "add an attachment" button (underneath of the space where you write the actual post text, below the burgandy-ish colored bar). Then, you'll be asked to pick the file name to be attached. When you submit the post, it should be included with it.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 1:13pm
post #116 of 139

craftst3, I wouldn't say you did anything wrong, but it looks like maybe you're using an icing that's not well suited to doing cookies.

There's a fabulous tutorial on this site by Antonia74 called "how to bake and decorate cookies" that has a lot of information in it. You can find it on the home page or under the Articles tab.

Many of us use this method and icing recipe to get a smoothly iced cookie.

There are other methods as well, and other icing recipes. I would recommend looking through that tutorial as well as some of the other threads in the cookie forum here for details on how other people are doing the cookies, and then post if you have more questions!

hth!
Laura.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 1:48pm
post #117 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftst3

The pictures uploaded with no problem into the cookie gallery. Would someone please tell me how you attach a picture to the forums? I hope that you can see my pics and tell me what I did wrong and need to work on.

When you add an attachment the file size is not supposed to be any larger than 2 MB or the pixel dimensions are not supposed to be greater than 800 x 800. I'm not sure what programs you use, but I have Macromedia Fireworks and it allows me to adjust the pixel size. HTH

grammacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammacookie Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 2:13pm
post #118 of 139

Well, here is what I came up for the April theme.
They are the No Fail cookies with Antonia's icing.
Ya gotta use your imagination for the baby birds in the nest, I guess.
My DH couldnt figure out what it was supposed to be until I told him.
Oh well, they were fun to do and he enjoys eating them!
Hopefully they will get better as the year progresses.
LL

Kos Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 3:26pm
post #119 of 139

Those are adorable grammacookie!
I love the little nest and baby birds. I'm going to make a note of that for my kid's class! Great work! ( I like the music notes above the adult bird too!)

kos

LOVEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOVEME Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 5:40pm
post #120 of 139

Just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed all the cookie post.Mine were to be made this week..but the best laid plans have to be set aside at times.My Mother-in-law is on her death bed.She is 91 and we just lost my 97 year old Father-in-law in Feb.Congratulations to all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%