Coloring Fondant

Decorating By marknrox Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 1:41pm by veejaytx

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have a Kitchen Aid 325 watt mixer. Do you think I could mix fondant and color with my dough hook?

6 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

Now I don't actually have experience with this, but my first thought would be no......I made MMF this week, one batch by hand and the other with my Kitchenaid....I could only mix the fondant part of the way in the kitchenaid becuase the fondant was too thick and my kitchenaid sounded like it would die! icon_lol.gif I'll be making my mmf by hand from now on, it really wasn't any harder that way anyway. I'll be curius to see how others answer this question.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't worked with fondant that much - but I would say that you need to do it by hand - just knead it in when you are working it to get it pliable. ( I just did a "Cup of Cocoa" cake with it and colored the fondant for that)

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 7

When I make fondant I only use my hands.
It is mostly to heavy for the machine.
icon_smile.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 10:47am
post #5 of 7

Is it heavier than most bread doughs?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 7

IMO - yes it is. It is a different texture though - very thick.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 7

I was able to mix my MMF with my Artisan KA mixer but it did struggle a little. Be sure to mix the melted marshmallows (be sure to use a large container in the microwave, they expand before they melt) and your liquid first, then add your ps slowly.

I am thankful that it did work...I have arthritis in my right hand as well as a bad shoulder and I'm not sure I could do it by hand! I used the regular paddle, but will try the dough hook next time for comparison.

More than likely the 325 watt KA is not powerful enough!
Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%