Not So Sweet Frosting

Decorating By shkepa Updated 27 Feb 2013 , 3:47am by crustdust

shkepa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 23

So how do I make my frosting not so sweet I have been using the wilton recipe but it is really sweet. How can I tone it down???

22 replies
cakes21 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 23

I have read on here to use popcorn salt and disolve it before adding it.

GrannieJ Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:55am
post #3 of 23

I put in a pinch of popcorn salt every time! Seems to work well.

jescapades Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #4 of 23

maybe you can try adding some different flavors of extracts? i use lemon, almond, vanilla and butter and try to get something not too sweet from a combination of those.

i use the bc dream recipe, though. i've never tried wilton's.

good luck

Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #5 of 23

I have never heard this tip..........thanks. How did someone even decide to try this in the first place??

gateaux Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #6 of 23

This is my teacher's recipe:

4 cups or 1 lb icing sugar
1 tbsp meringue powder or egg white powder
3 1/2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond
1/2 tbsp lemon
3/4 cup unsalter butter or crisco
1/8 tsp salt

You mix 2 cups icing sugar, with the rest of ingredients except the butter.
Then add the butter, until combined.
Add rest of icing sugar. Mix about 5-10 minutes until smooth.
Everyone loves this recipe, they cant figure out which flavor comes out the most but they all say it's not sweet.

Good Luck.

darkchocolate Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 23

According to Toba Garrett vanilla extract adds to the sweetness. I like adding the popcorn salt and I also tend to use more almond flavoring in my extracts. You could always use a little lemon extract or creme bouquet to offset the sweetness.

rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #8 of 23

I hate wilton's BC. So icky sweet and also a little slimy on the roof of my mouth.

I like buttercream dream. But even today, I found it a little too sweet.
I wish there was a real mild tasting buttercream out there. The sweetness is too much after a while.

trombonekaren Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:00am
post #9 of 23

If you use a less sweet filling instead of more buttercream, far fewer people will complain about sweetness (at least in my experience). I LOOOOOVE 2 pints of heavy cream mixed with one packet of instant pudding mix. You can do lots of flavors, and (as long as you don't add additional sugar) it is a very rich but not very sweet taste that really seems to balance buttercream well. thumbs_up.gif

mizshelli Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:24am
post #10 of 23

Where does one get popcorn salt? I have never seen it! Can you use regular salt?

trombonekaren Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #11 of 23

It's just a finer grain of salt - it is sold right by the other stuff. It is just usually in a smaller container. I think you can even get it in butter flavor although I just use the plain stuff. You certainly could use regular salt but I think the deal is just that you would need to be sure all of the larger crystals dissolved.

ccr03 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #12 of 23

I haven't figured out a BC recipe that isn't sweet, so I always just use Rich's Bettercreme. It's the whipped frosting used at most bakeries. I buy a 15 lb. bucket from Sam's for $23.

CarolAnn Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:16am
post #13 of 23

cakes21, I only use popcorn salt in my icings. You DO NOT need to disolve it first. It's a finer grained salt and mixes in much easier than regular table salt. I use a generous pinch. It does cut the sweetness.

Recently I had cake that was from Costco and it almost made me gag. I've never had anything like it and hope I don't ever again. The cake was very dry too.

I have recently tweaked my old bc recipe with some substitutions and I am sooo happy with it. I have gotten the neatest compliments on it here lately. I'm using cream in place of water, half butter/half shortening, Wilton's butter flavoring instead of vanilla and creme bouquet. It's a hit.

Tip: don't go by the smell just on the creme bouquet, it's delicious stuff.

sbcakes Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #14 of 23

I was never aware of a popcorn salt...I always just add a half tsp. or so, of reg salt. It really helps on cutting the sweetness down. I have never had a problem with it not dissolving.

prterrell Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 23

Popcorn salt and pickling salt are the same, they just package the "popcorn salt" in a smaller container and charge more for it!

smbegg Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 23

I have also heard it suggested to put a little flour into the frosting. It cuts back the sweetness. Havn't tried it yet though, I guess that I like the sweet!

tyty Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #17 of 23

I add popcorn salt to all my BC frostings. I use a few diff recipe's. I get feedback all the time that my icing is not too sweet.

shkepa Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 23

What about coffee creamer anyone know about this???

cakesonoccasion Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #19 of 23

Really? Pickling salt is the same??? That would be a whole lot cheaper!! I use buttercream dream, but I use one stick of salted and one stick of unsalted butter. Makes a really big difference in cutting through the sweetness!

jhomik Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 23

I saw the popcorn "good eats" rerun last night, and Alton put regular salt in a food processor and pulsed it for a few minutes...voila! popcorn salt!

jhomik Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 23

duh! "few minutes"

should have been "few seconds".

So sorry!

melisner1 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:05am
post #22 of 23

What is creme bouquet and where do you find it at?

crustdust Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:47am
post #23 of 23

AAlways add salt to your baked goods :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%