Help: Buttercream Transfer Questions...

Decorating By Foodie Updated 5 Apr 2006 , 8:57pm by tobycat

Foodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foodie Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 10

I did my first buttercream transfer this weekend and it looked okay; much easier than I was expecting. I do have a couple of questions. First, how do I keep the colors from going outside the black outline. Second, once the transfer is completed and on my cake, how do I get it flush with the rest of the icing? My thought was to ice the sides of my cake, put the transfer on, and then ice the top of my cake to blend better. I have my first real cake order this weekend and would like to do a transfer as opposed to the piping gel outline but really want to feel comfortable. I am planning on doing one more practice cake before then.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

9 replies
BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 10

bumping....

ozzynjojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozzynjojo Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry I can't help out. I'll help you with another BUMP!

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 10

What I did to get a smooth top was do the transfer then with it used the upside down icing technique(in the article section here). It's the Jasmine cake in my pictures. Not perfect but none of my cake are icon_smile.gif

sandra

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 10

In my fbct I just piped a shell border around it. Unless your risking damaging the image to push it down into the cake, I'd just put a border around it. As for the color not flowing past the border, did you let your border harden before applying the next color??? How thin was your color??? If your border is hard enough it shouldn't flow through.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 10

Do you fbct as you normally would....put then also do the top of the cake with it....I have two 6" cakes for this weekend and I've got my Pattern and I drew a 6" circle around it....use your cake pan??? This would be harder to do, well it would make a lot more work for a larger cake, but it's an idea!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 10

Here's how I do my transfers:
1. Trace the outline of the pan onto a sheet of wax paper. This will be your entire top of the cake.
2. Place your transfer picture underneath the wax paper in the proper place that you want it on your cake.
3. Do the transfer just as you normally would. As stated above, make sure you freeze between colors so they don't run.
4. Use your bc in the color of the cake and ice around the transfer and fill in all the space between the transfer and the traced pan outline.
5. Freeze then transfer to top of cake. This should give you a smooth, flush finish.

Hope that makes sense!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:08am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

In my fbct I just piped a shell border around it. Unless your risking damaging the image to push it down into the cake, I'd just put a border around it. As for the color not flowing past the border, did you let your border harden before applying the next color??? How thin was your color??? If your border is hard enough it shouldn't flow through.

Okay, feeling stupid here, but what does FBCT stand for???

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:22am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Sonoma, FBCT stands for frozen buttercream transfer. icon_smile.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by havenleigh

Quote:
Quote:

Sonoma, FBCT stands for frozen buttercream transfer. icon_smile.gif

THanks, havenleigh! I couldn't figure out what the F stood for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%