Candy Clay/chocolate Plastic

Decorating By mimimil Updated 5 Apr 2006 , 3:27pm by mimimil

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Ladies...I tried making this stuff and it ended up looking quite awful! I used Toba Garrett's recipe and the stuff was SUPER hard I put it in the microwave and it softened up a bit but the stuff was super greasy as well. What did I do wrong?!

Mimi

6 replies
kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 7

After you make the chocolate clay, let it rest overnight then knead it in small batches until workable then you can combine the small batches. Candy clay usually looks and feels unusable until it has had time to rest and then be kneaded. I've never put it in the microwave.
hope that helps
-kim

mimimil Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 7

I let it rest 24 hrs in the refrigerator like Toba says to do so...and it was just gritty... I couldn't do anything with it...all this greasy liquid came out when I would try to knead small portions of it.

kkhigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkhigh Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 7

hmmm, the only time i have had something close to that happen is when i heated my chocolate to high. the oils separated and the clay texture was definatley different. not sure what you can do to save your current batch but next time maybe make sure the chocolate is only slightly warm, not hot at all before proceeding with the recipe.
i know how frustrating it gets when a recipe doesnt turn out right! hopefully it will turn out better next time!
-kim

cailean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cailean Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimil

I let it rest 24 hrs in the refrigerator like Toba says to do so...and it was just gritty... I couldn't do anything with it...all this greasy liquid came out when I would try to knead small portions of it.

Hi there - I made it also over the weekend but I didn't use her recipe. It could easily be the same recipe I used though, I got mine off baking911.com. According to that site, it is supposed to be greasy when you first start to use it and you just blot that out onto a paper towel. It is also supposed to be VERY hard to work with, especially after you get it out of the fridge. I let mine sit at room temperature after it hardened in the fridge. After about 6 hours it was much easier to dig out a piece. Within a few seconds it starts to become pliable with the warmth of your hands.
Good luck! When it get it working, it's amazing stuff! I've done regular chocolate and white chocolate.
Cailean

mimimil Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you ladies! I will try this again with hopes of getting better results.

Mimi

mimimil Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 7

Good morning ladies,

Well last night I tried making this stuff (again) and this time instead of using a paper towel to get some of the "fat" out of the white chocolate I used a paper called "newsprint" I let the chocolate rest on this for a couple hours and it made a HUGE difference...I put it in the fridge and tonight when I get home I'll play with the stuff... I'll keep you girls posted

Thanks again for all the great info.

Mimi

I'm excited!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%