Anniversary Cake Photo

Decorating By veejaytx Updated 26 Apr 2005 , 12:54pm by veejaytx

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 8:44am
post #1 of 17

Today is my anniversary at CC, and I have posted my first fondant-covered cake which also has my first BCT on it! (It is under uncategorized, or whatever that is) Talk about learning a lot in a month's time! I haven't gotten my mini pans yet, so I used a 6" and a 5" that I had here. The fondant is easier to do than I had thought, not that it is perfect! Now the BCT was a different story, I thought it was pretty complicated. This one is very thick, and I had to cut off the lettering that was not mirror image, so I've got a couple of things to work on.

Thanks to all of you here at CC, without all of your advice, experience and encouragement, I never would have tried these new methods. thumbs_up.gif
Janice

16 replies
elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 10:38am
post #2 of 17

Congratulation.
As time goes by, we all grow in our skills. And I supose that is what all is about. You do great work. Keep it up, and grow with the rest of us.
icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 10:51am
post #3 of 17

Thanks, Elin. I don't know what I'd do without CC, I really enjoy seeing the photos, hearing about the trials and tribulations of cake baking/decorating, and learning at the same time. Janice

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 17

Good job getting your fondant to look so smooth. My next goal is to try making MMF and putting that on a cake.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 17

You cake turned out very good! Looks like you did great with the fondant and your flowers are so pretty and vibrant!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 17

Janice...I think the best way to learn new things is to try it. I learn a lot from reading about something or seeing pics, but when I finally try a new technique--well that's when the fun really starts! You never really know what you're going to get the first time so it's exciting too! You did a great job and now you can share what you learned with others.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 17

I think you did a great job on your fondant...did you make the MMF?? I haven't gotten brave enough to try the BCT...I'm not actually sure I understand how to make one yet......when I joined here just over a month ago I'd never heard of MMF or BCT so I feel like I have gained a wealth of knowledge! Tried the MMF this week and loved it! Guess next on the agenda would be a BCT!

veejaytx Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks to all of you, my ego needed a boost!
Yes, this is MMF, I think it is great, and it goes such a long way! I started out using it for my "sequins" and have so much thought I'd better put it to use.
I separated the finished MMF batch into three containers, and have just taken out what I need and let it warm up slowly, or put into microwave on defrost for just a few seconds and it was ready to go. The first time I worked with it I used powdered sugar on my waxed paper, but got a tip to use cornstarch and it works better! My BCT I didn't use a picture with borders, first mistake! You need the borders to begin with! When I messed that up, I was on the wrong track from the start. I had the whole thing too thick, so when I finished, in order for it to work on the cake, I had to do all that trim!
I did make a single layer, simpler one, to take to my teacher who refuses to work with fondant, he has to try this! Janice

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:36am
post #9 of 17

Janice~

You did a great job! My first BCT turned out horrible & I haven't done one since, didn't have time. Now I have a lot of time to practice since the wedding is over, yea!! I will email you with questions since your doing so good with MMF & BCT!!

Elin,

I love your pixie fairy!!! It is so sweet!!!

veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #10 of 17

Mouse, it is really kinda fun "playing" with the MMF, I think you'd like it if you try it! It just looks so pretty on a cake, and now that it tastes good too, you have to make at least one! Cutting shapes out of the MMF is fun too, reminded me of playing paper dolls (OMG is that dating me!!!) Janice

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 7:05am
post #11 of 17

Hi, veejaytx! I was going to placing a bct on top of a mmf scroll I am making for my hubby's cake. I am wondering if you had any trouble with the bct slipping off of the mmf? Or did it just melt on to it? Any bleeding? Did you use any BC to adhere the bct to the mmf? Sorry for the range of questions. I just want to make sure I have all the info before I make a huge mistake. Thanks for any help!!
Tanya

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Mouse, it is really kinda fun "playing" with the MMF, I think you'd like it if you try it! It just looks so pretty on a cake, and now that it tastes good too, you have to make at least one! Cutting shapes out of the MMF is fun too, reminded me of playing paper dolls (OMG is that dating me!!!) Janice

Hey, I used to play with paper dolls when I was little, about 15 years ago. I was at Walmart yesterday and I bought 2 new toys. I bought the Wilton flower fondant cutter set and the people body fondant cutter set. So I can't wait to get some time to play with fondant!

veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 17

Way to go, Mouse! Now that I've gotten started with the MMF I want some other toys too! My SIL gave me several cutter sets for Christmas, but I want the people set now.

Tanya: After seeing Susan's Corona label melting and slipping, I don't know about using the BCT on a scroll, you might want to try it out on something similar first. My cake is flat, but the BCT did seem to blend in as it thawed which was pretty quick! Yes, I put a very thin fresh layer of BC under the transfer to help it stick. As of this morning it looks okay, no bleeding or further melting. I finally got my mirror image figured out, and I'm going o make another BCT, and be sure to make the outlines and frames, I think that has to be one major factor in everything staying in place. Hope this helps! The secret, just like with everything else, is practice. Janice

tanyascakes Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for the info, veejaytx. I was thinking along the same lines after I heard her story today. I will just be glad to get this darned thing done!! Can you tell that I am starting to stress out?

veejaytx Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 17

Tanya, I just looked at your cake photos, and your cakes are very good! You've already done the BCT, and very well at that...I think you are just stressing because you want this particular cake to be perfect! If you've been reading the posts today, you have to know there is no such thing as perfect in cake decorating!

You also know that your husband is going to love the cake you bake, so try to relax a little and not worry so much! Janice

ps I think it has been established that we are going to blame Susan's Corona BCT problem on the Texas weather! LOL

tanyascakes Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 5:20am
post #16 of 17

Thanks, Janice. Oh, yes, I have been reading the posts today! I think that is what has my hackles up! But I am going to try to relax about it all. I just have to concentrate on the fact that hubby knows how hard I work on this stuff. I know all about Texas weather. We were stationed in Tx for 9 years> We went from dry El Paso to rain soaked Killeen(Ft. Hood). Thanks for the nice things you said about my cakes so far. I have a ton of others that I took with regular camera that I need to scan and load onto the site. Will have to get that done AFTER this cake. I hope that I am not driving everyone nuts with all of my questions. icon_redface.gif

veejaytx Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 17

I think the process of finding answers, and working through a problem is part of the success of this website group. My cake history is pretty short,
and I have to admit when I'm planning or working on baking/decorating a cake, I get very uptight too, so it is easy to say relax, a whole different thing to do it!

Yeah, good old Fort Hood, I'm native Dallasite but lived in Austin for 26 years, you'd think I'd be used to this weather, but it's always changing!

I'll get on my soapbox for just a minute, it seems to me a lot of new members just jump in and start asking questions without bothering to read the wealth of information that is already there if they would just look! The moderators here are very patient with the repetition, I really admire that!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how your cake comes out, I know it will be beautiful!!! Oh, I am waiting for some lustre dust too, want it for my "sequins", let me know how it works for you.
Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%