Candy Melts W/chocolate

Sugar Work By praetorian2000 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm by praetorian2000

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 4

I can't temper chocolate to save my life. Candy melts are easy and they taste ok and the people i give candy too can't tell the difference, but I know they can be better. What i've started doing is mixing real chocolate in with candy melts. It tastes more like real chocolate, needs no tempering, and behaves like candy melts. And it's cheaper. Real chocolate is cheaper than candy melts. At least the way I get them here in NYC.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #2 of 4

Thanks for sharing this with us. I have often wondered what the result would be if you mixed the two together.

Did you do a 50-50 mixture, or just a few melts to stabilize the chocolate?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

praetorian2000 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 10:26am
post #3 of 4

I honestly don't know. I eyeball it. I read somewhere on here that someone does 2/3 candy melts + 1/3 real chocolate. The one thing I noticed is that at room temp, the finished product is softer than it would be were it 100% candy melts or 100% real chocolate. And it could be because i'm not measuring anything. But I like it. I like the taste and it works for me. I would say play around with it.

praetorian2000 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 4

I got the book Who wants candy by Jane Sharrock. In it she talks about mixing candy melts with real chocolate. She gives different ratios. Simply put, the more chocolate you mix in with the candy melts, the softer the chocoalte will be once it sets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%