Cup Of Cocoa Cake

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 1:30am by Lisa

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:53am
post #1 of 9

I got this idea from bikegal on the Wilton site(thank you!). This is my 2nd time working with fondant. Here is the link to the cake:

cup of cocoa cake

8 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:25am
post #2 of 9

I have seen that before...that is so cool.... see I couldnt have done that I dont think....maybe thought of but not accomplished!!!

Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:37am
post #3 of 9

I had to think about it for awhile. I am still not sure this is how she did it! I have another one I am going to do tomorrow for some more practice. Now that I have done this one, I know what I will do differently for the next one. BTW - you could do it too! I've found that working with the fondant is a lot like working with playdoh! icon_wink.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:43am
post #4 of 9

I would hope it tastes better then playdoh! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:59am
post #5 of 9

I meant the molding/shaping of it is like playing with the playdoh (not TASTE like playdoh!!! icon_razz.gif ) I don't mind the taste of the fondant - the MMF tastes better than the Wilton though. The cake is chocolate, with chocolate buttercream and fondant for the cup and saucer.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 9

Oh Wow! Great cake...could you share some tips on how you did it? I'm guessing the cup is a half-ball cake? I'd love to try this.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 9

Great cake idea, I'd like to make one (coffee in it) for my mother for Mother's Day, she does love her coffee...I'd probably need to make it look like it is smoking she drinks it so hot! LOL Janice

Loucinda Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 9:53pm
post #8 of 9

First of all - thank you Lisa for the avitar!! How cool is that??

It is the wilton ball cake - turned one section of it over to do the fondant and let it set for a few hours before turning it up so that it looks like the "cup". The saucer is just fondant - I used the end of the guard on my candy thermometer as a cutter for the circles. I then rolled little pieces of fondant into tiny ropes and then made them into circles and attached them with clear vanilla painted on one side (for the circles on the cup - didn't want to try cutting that out after already placing it on a chocolate cake!! - did that before turning it rightside up!) Then just used chocolate buttercream as the "cocoa" and the dollop of whip cream is plain buttercream. The handle is freeformed from the same color fondant as the cup.

Thank you for all the nice compliments.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:30am
post #9 of 9

You're welcome Quadcrew! Thanks so much for sharing how you made the cocoa cup cake. I think I'm going to do a spin-off of this for my Mother's Day cake. I'm going to turn the cup into a bowl full of batter. I bought DM some vintage bowls for Mother's Day that she'd been wanting and I want to make a cake to look like them. There pink melmac spatterware--very pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%