How Do You Make Those Awesome Gelatin Flowers

Decorating By katiecake Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 3:28am by shanter

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 26

I just noticed these amazing gelatin flowers. but my spanish is no good, can someone tell me how to make them?
thanks icon_redface.gif

25 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 26

Here's what you'll need:

Gelatin
Water
Coloring
Floral wire, green- leaves, silver- petals
Needle nose plyers
Foam board
Floral tape

You start by shaping the petals and the leaves for the flower seperately. Mix 1 part water to 3 parts gelatin along with coloring making sure the color is darker than you want because the ending product is going to be transparent. Next heat the gelatin mixture in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds at a time stiring slowly (to prevent air bubbles) in between heatings. You'll try to get a slightly watered down pudding consistancy. Once you've reached that point, you'll begin dipping your flower parts in one at a time and pulling them out slowly. Place then in a foam board to dry. Do not let them touch and do not dry them straight up and down either. The rest is self explanitory when putting them together. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

P.S. I have some pics in my photo collection iff you want to take a look.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 26

Wow, I looked at your pics and they are amazing. So, if i am understanding this, you shape the wire into the shapes you want and then dunk them. Obviously that is very simplified!! lol I do have a question or two. Do you shape and curve them before dunking, or can you curve them after. Do they dry hard?? I have never done individual petals, so how do you put them together and are there any websites you really like for instruction of these???? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

reenie Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 26

Yes, shape and curve, then dip. And yes they do dry hard. There is a small time frame after you dip them that you can still bend them but you have to make sure you do not bend the wire together or you'll end up with saggly gelatin. To put them together I have been simple twisting the diffrent pieces around eachother and then wrapping the whole thing in floral tape but I'm not happy with the closeup look of the cause you can still see the wire. I'm sure if you put the petals together first, wrapped them, then added the leaves as you go you'd get a more refined look... I'll have to try that next time.

For sites... can't for the life of me remember which one I got them off of. I just did a goole search for them and found one that was the clearest in instructions for me, tried it and liked it.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:52am
post #5 of 26

I think this is the site you are looking for

www.frostatiers.com/demo2005feb.htm

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 2:10am
post #6 of 26

The flowers look like glass- they are cool!! How long will these hold up for?

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 26

thanks everyone, something to try this weekend!!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 26

how long can you keep them ? what if you don't use them right away ? I would imagine they have to be refrigerated the whole time. that's interesting... icon_smile.gif

reenie Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 26

From the feel of the finished product (they dry plastic hard) I think they would be one of those things you could keep forever... even at room temp!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 26

dumb ? but what happens to the leaves and petals that you dip do you peel them off after the gelatin has set? Also the leaves and petals are silk correct?

reenie Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:25am
post #11 of 26

Nope, you leave them on there. The wire is what holds the shape of the flower. The leaves and petals are wire dipped in gelatin. When you dip them, what creates the glass like effect is the gelatin that stays in the wire "loop" that you have made. It's the same concept as a bubble wand and bubbles. When you dip the bubble wand in the mixure the bubble solution stays in the loop. Same thing with the gelatin.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:10am
post #12 of 26

save

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:46am
post #13 of 26

Can you explain what 1 part water 3 parts geltain is in measurements? The gelatin that I have is in small packets...

thanks and your flowers are excellent!!!!

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:46am
post #14 of 26

This is cool. I think I'm going to try this this weekend for some butterflies I have to do on a cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:59am
post #15 of 26

OK, I must have a short attention span. The link included above doesn't work. I scrolled through a bunch of pictures on here and dont' see anything I thought was a gelatin flower. I also Gogoled it and scrolled thru about 20 websites and can't find anything like what you're sdescribing.

Help, please.

leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:01am
post #16 of 26

OK, never mind. I did an imae search and I've got it now. All I needed was a picture!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:03am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

OK, I must have a short attention span. The link included above doesn't work. I scrolled through a bunch of pictures on here and dont' see anything I thought was a gelatin flower. I also Gogoled it and scrolled thru about 20 websites and can't find anything like what you're sdescribing.

Help, please.

Me too. I'm being my usual clueless self. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:09am
post #18 of 26

I'm with Leah and Mike...... getting NOTHING..... icon_cry.gif

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #19 of 26

Can you use plain floral wire or do you need the string wrapped kind?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #20 of 26
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:37am
post #21 of 26

Very cool tks.

Mike

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #22 of 26

Oh, Okay..... thanks.... not what I was thinking of at all...... I thought they were the ones that look like they are injected right into a jello form...

leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #23 of 26

Yeah, once I did a search on here for images, all was good.

However, I need to proofread and/or have more coffee before I try to type in the mornings . . .

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #24 of 26

There is a nice article in the current ACD (June/July) by Laurel Silverberg on making gelatin roses - step-by-step with pics thumbs_up.gif

cakemakinfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemakinfish Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:38am
post #25 of 26

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2954547/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I was wondering how do I make the petals darker? I notice with other gelatin flowers the petals are much darker and it doesn't look like they are painted. Im not sure what I'm doing wrong.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:28am
post #26 of 26

I think food coloring is added to the gelatin before forming the flowers. But then again, I've never done it.

You could find what you need in this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/t/630413/how-to-make-gelatin-bows-flowers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%