Cracking Cake Top

Decorating By christele Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 9:35pm by MiraCibo

christele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 14

Hello all! The top of my cakes have started to crack now when I cook them. What am I doing wrong? Is my oven too hot (usually at 350 and it does not heat as hot as it says). I even use the bake even strips and it still cracks. Help!! icon_confused.gif

13 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 14

Have you tried using a flower nail in your pan? (like a heating core?)

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 14

I have the same problem and I have heard from most on the sit that it is the temp of the oven. They say 325 is best.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 14

you may be baking them just a few minutes to long, or they may not have quite enough liquid in the batter

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 14

I've been having the same problem and everyone is telling me 350 is too hot of an oven to bake your cakes in and to lower it to 325, also bake it a little longer to compensate for the lower temperature. Give a try!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 14

Hello christele,

325 is the best and when baking larger cakes always use a flower nail it helps it bake even ( inside and out) thats how I bake and never have a problem.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 14

When you use a flower nail what do you do about the hole it leaves?

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 14

I have two ovens, both convection, I bake at 325 and I get the same results out of one oven! I have checked the temp, and it's accurate, but I still drop it down another 5 degrees and that usually does it! It's strange, but consistant!

christele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for all the comments. Re the flower nail, do I put it in the middle of the uncooked bather, nail sticking up? Or do I just put it on the batter, nail sticking down?

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 14

Nail should be up. Good luck and post your pictures.

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry christele,

Nail is pointing up and make sure you spray the nail or use the cake release so the nail will slide out without pulling the cake apart, and it will not leave any holes that cant be filled with frosting. Good luck and post pics please.

MiraCibo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiraCibo Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 14

I'm having the same trouble. My mix is very wet (oil and water) but it is my favourite. But takes a long time to cook. So I'm going to try these suggestions with flower nail and lower the temperature for longer!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:56am
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraCibo 

I'm having the same trouble. My mix is very wet (oil and water) but it is my favourite. But takes a long time to cook. So I'm going to try these suggestions with flower nail and lower the temperature for longer!

MiraCibo: those two tips worked like a dream for me.  Hope it works for you also.

MiraCibo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiraCibo Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 14

ARUGH no that didn't work it rose up and cooked fine but the shape was like a donut hourglass. it sunk around the middle of the height... I cut both in half flipped and filled with a tonne of ganache. and levelled it out. IN the end everyone loves ganache so who cares... HAHA :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%