Chocolate Frostings That Hardens?

Decorating By littlelovebugs Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm by Kitagrl

littlelovebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlelovebugs Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to all this frosting making!! I only know how to make buttercream and royal! I am making small egg shaped cakes, and my husband wants chocolate frosting on them, the kind that hardens, like they sell in the bakey. Does anyone know of a good recipe?? Thanks in advance!!
Sharon

Edited to add: I'm talking about the kind I guess that you cook? And then pour over the cake and it hardens

4 replies
Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 5

Here is the one that I use from Baker's brand chocolate (note: it is rich!)

1 8oz Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
1 pkg. powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup milk

MICROWAVE chocolate in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min. or to room temperature.
ADD sugar, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
GRADUALLY add milk, beating until well blended. If frosting becomes too thick, beat in additional milk by teaspoonfuls until of desired spreading consistency. Use to frost your favorite cake or cupcakes.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

I think he would love Sarah Bernhardt chocolate glaze. You can let it cool until it is about the consistency of Hersheys chocolate syrup for ice cream and pour it as a glaze over the cakes, or let it set up completely and it is about the consistency of canned icing and can be applied with an icing spatula. It is quite easy to make and is delicious. If you try it just remember not to overheat it, take the chocolate off the double boiler while there are still a few chips unmelted, then stir till those are melted and icing is smooth. It probably takes about an hour to set completely, about 30 minutes to cool to pouring consistency.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2315-Sarah-Bernhardt-Chocolate-Glaze.html

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 5

You can also make a chocolate ganache with less cream than usual, and it's really spreadable while warm, but will harden up in a short amount of time.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

Are you talking about ganache? Which is chocolate and cream? When poured over the cake it makes a semi-hard covering that is soft to cut and bite but is solid enough to hold its shape once it sets?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%