How Long Can You Let Cake Batter Sit?

Decorating By nova Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 9:45pm by SarahJane

nova Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nova Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:18am
post #1 of 9

if i have leftover batter that i want to use still, should i refrigerate it or can i just let it sit at room temp? like with a 12" pan which requires 2 1/2 recipes, i want to still be able to use the remaining batter for my 6" pan. is it okay to just leave the batter in the pan while i'm baking another cake? does my question make sense? thanks in advance for your advice.

8 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #2 of 9

The question makes sense. I made several dozen cupcakes recently but I only have two pans. I left the batter on the counter until I was ready to use it for the next batches. It was fine.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:35am
post #3 of 9

i have baked a 9x3 and needed the same pan for the other batch i made. it sat out for a good hour and it was yummy!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 8:05am
post #4 of 9

thanks guys i had extra batter and put it in the fridge until the oven was free re mixed it and baked the cake came out dry and flat. not a good thing maybe i should of lefted it out on the counter btw the first caked baked well over an hour.

Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

You're welcome...I think it's probably better for the batter to be at room temp before you bake it.

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 9

I have left it set on counter while I wait on a cake to come out and it's been fine, even w/o re-mixing. I have even put it in fridge overnight and then next day then let it come to room temp and re-mixed and it was fine as well. No flat or dry cakes or anything. I have heard you're not supposed to do that, but it worked for me!

Tea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 9

I also tried that with my cupcake batter too. I let the batter sat in the fridge for 20 minutes, and the cupcake came out fine. I might be mistaken, but I think my cupcakes puffed up nicer.

Lisa Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea

I also tried that with my cupcake batter too. I let the batter sat in the fridge for 20 minutes, and the cupcake came out fine. I might be mistaken, but I think my cupcakes puffed up nicer.

I've noticed that too...the batter seems to puff a little when it sets out.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 9

I don't know what the cut-off limit is, but it is better not to save batter and use it later, it loses it's ability to rise. The baking powder/soda that is in cakes, muffins, and pancakes, anything like that, once you add the baking powder/soda to liquid it starts to "rise" then as it sits it "deflates". I do some baking part-time for a a lady that use to be a chef and now she owns/runs a little coffee/lunch shack, anyway she gave me a "chef" book to read before I started my baking job. This is one of the things I learned. Anyway, you'll probably here a million different things, but hope this helps. SARAH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%