1/2 Sheet Cakes???

Decorating By chele Updated 4 Apr 2006 , 12:56am by chellebell70

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 21

What is the height of an average sheet cake?? I made one this weekend. I took 2 1/2 sheet pans and filled them with one box of cake mix. I thought the cake could be a little higher? What does anyone reccommend? I didn't want the cake to spill over so I only used the one box. Let me know what you all think. icon_rolleyes.gif

20 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 21

what size are the pans??? I used two mixes for a 12" x 18" x 2" pan and it was perfect.......not too much of a dome on top (because of my flower nail) and then what cake there was sticking up...I put my cooling rack on top and pushed it down for a min. and it made the whole thing perfectly level. The two mixes were perfect!!!!

chele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 21

I think they are 12x18 pans. 2 boxes insn't too much? It won't bake over the edge?? That is good to know, I will have to try it, and with the nail too.

lilsomethinsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsomethinsweet Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 21

In my 12*18*2 pans I use 3 cake mixes and they are nice and tall and do not bake over the edges at all.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 21

Cakes should be 2 inches high baked. To get this you should fill the pans 2/3 rds full. A 12 x 18 pan holds 3 mixes and 1 extender. a 1/2 sheet or 12x16 holds 2 cake mixes and 1 extender.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 21

mine didn't bake over the edge at all!! I used two mixes because I wanted two separate flavors in the cake and didn't want to mess around with covering a separation line by joining two separate cakes together.......yes the nail works beautifully......I just nestled it down in the batter after the pan was full! It took only 40 min. to bake and came out perfectlly. Good Luck

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 21

I don't know the average height of those, but I do know that mine are always alot thicker then the ones I see in the store bakeries! icon_lol.gif I have the 12x18 also and I use 3 boxes in that one, it's never baked over the edge. I do have to level it a little more then KHalstead said she has to, but it's never baked over, and it comes out a nice size. icon_smile.gif

chele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 21

Great!! Thanks everyone... I will try it out.. I definalty thought mine was too short. Now I know.

cakesbgood Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 21

Ok, this is embarrasing, but I have to know lol ceculsk, what's an extender for that? icon_redface.gif I haven't been at this stuff very long, still alot I have to learn I guess icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 21

It is a extender recipe that gives you a little more batter when you do not need a full mix. Usually 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 cup sour cream/yogurt/milk/etc, 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavor. You add this to your cake mix or other mix.

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 21

I generally use 2 box mixes for a 9X13, and 3 box mixes for a 11X15. It raises just a little over the pan but not too much (no spill over) but enough for me to get a nice level cut all the way across and it gives me a full 2 inches of height.

cakesbgood Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 21

Ohhh, OK, that makes sense!! Now I really feel like an idiot LOL! Thanks for the info icon_biggrin.gif

chele Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 21

so when you add the 2 or 3 boxes in the 12x18 pan. You only bake one pan or 2?

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceculsk

Cakes should be 2 inches high baked. To get this you should fill the pans 2/3 rds full. A 12 x 18 pan holds 3 mixes and 1 extender. a 1/2 sheet or 12x16 holds 2 cake mixes and 1 extender.

I agree with ceculsk!! I would totally recommend the cake mix extender as it's a little denser but WAY easier to work with!!! icon_biggrin.gif You will also use less cake mixes and with the flower nails it'll bake super even!!! If your putting 2 cakes side by side, don't push the cake down once baked they wont be even. You'll need to level them off!!! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

cakesbgood Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 21

Just one pan is all you need. Unless your goal is something even thicker

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:00pm
post #16 of 21

I use 2 cake mixes for an 11x15" and 3 cake mixes for the 12x18". Works perfect every time. This is for the 2" depth pans. icon_wink.gif

bodaisy Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele

so when you add the 2 or 3 boxes in the 12x18 pan. You only bake one pan or 2?

Yes, put it all in the one pan and bake away!!! icon_biggrin.gif It should'nt overflow especially if you use 2 flower nails. If your worried, put a cookie sheet underneath the cake while baking for just in case!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:39pm
post #18 of 21

Bodaisy,
I too want to bake a 12x18 and want to use the extender recipe. Would I use 2 boxes or 3 if I want a full but dense cake? Please advise.

bodaisy Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

Bodaisy,
I too want to bake a 12x18 and want to use the extender recipe. Would I use 2 boxes or 3 if I want a full but dense cake? Please advise.

Do 2 extenders and 2 cake mixes for the 12 x 18 pan because it holds 3 regular mixes. Good Luck!! Your talking a 2inch deep pan correct?? I have a 3 inch pan so I have to use a little more.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks for the great advice, I will do that for my Easter cake.

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:56am
post #21 of 21

I use 1 1/2 cake mixes per 12x18.
Also wrapped with damp towel strips so that you don't have to wrry about that dome. Usually takes close to an hour on 350 to bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%