No Hair Nets On Ace Of Cakes

Decorating By fragglerock1 Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 4:50am by thecakestandaz

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 57

I'm probably the only one who noticed this, but I've never seen anyone on that show wear a hair net when they're working on cakes. Granted, Duff doesn't exactly need one, but what about everyone else? How do they keep hair from falling in the cake?

56 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:06am
post #2 of 57

You're not the only one. Although as I recall the food safety course we're required to take, it said there had to be a hair covering ..... it made no mention of ".....if the person has a lot of hair" or not. icon_biggrin.gif

I've also noticed the big lack of plastic gloves on the food channel overall.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:57am
post #3 of 57

Before jumping on them... remember... the food laws for them may not be the same as they are in your home state or your home area. I know for years here the regulation was that we just had to have "Hair Restraint" but it wasn't specific that it had to be a hat. Now, it's hat, but it wasn't for a long time. Some areas are more restrictive than others even within the same state. Yes, I have seen them show Duff donning his cap for making deliveries and carrying cakes out to near Mary Alice's desk for customers to pick up on the show.

Also, it is not required in all areas to be wearing gloves in the baking/decorating process, only if you're at the sales counter (I know, what's the point in requiring it by then, but some states are goofy). I know here, I go through tons of gloves, but only because I hate having to wash my hands every 30 seconds from some goop getting on, it's easier (on my contact dermatitis prone hands) to switch gloves while working on the same task... BUT, my inspector flat out went over that reg. here before she rather apologetically told me "you're being TOO cautious!" that it's the serving process that they're required.

Don't jump on them because unless you're next door to his bakery the set of rules you're required to follow may not be the same as the set of rules he has to follow.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:02am
post #4 of 57

I wore pig tails and a chef cap when I worked as a pastry chef. Regardless there will always be hair, fibers and so on that you carry on your clothing.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:07am
post #5 of 57

I agree with Couture Cake. Several places have different rules. Some places only require that if the hair shoulder length or longer it must be pulled back but a hair net is not required. Just depends on where you are and the rules and regs. for the area.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:23am
post #6 of 57

...And remember ladies this is TV, I imagine that for the brief moment they have the cameras all over them, they take out the hair net and put on some make up even the boys, I think people with hair nets makes for a very unattractive show.
I have been on TV here in my country, and I assure you I don't blow my hair and get a full make up and a pretty apron everyday when I'm decorating...
admitted now, will you appear on t.v with a net on your head?

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 8:24am
post #7 of 57

I hate to tell you guys this but hair nets are practically non existent once you get into restaurants of any higher quality then fast food. Even in culinary school I was never asked to wear one. I wear my hair (nearly everyday...) in a tucked under pony tail and then my chef cap. That's life in the hotel/restaurant business and believe me there's plenty more worse things that get into your food then hair and that is the sad truth of things...please don't shoot the messenger (I promise you all that I PERSONALLY have very high expectations and clean work habits. I CANNOT say the same for the handfulls of people I have worked with in my lifetime)

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 9:10am
post #8 of 57

I was inspected on my kitchen and work habits. I mentioned that I pull my hair back while working on cakes, and was told that there was no requirement for that, not even nets or hats. The only requirement was for gloves.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 10:04am
post #9 of 57

i don't think i've ever seen anyone on any food network program wearing a hair net including the shows that visit people in their places of business. icon_surprised.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 57

I don't think I have seen anyone but equistrine dressage riders wear hairnets at all.
And I centainly have never seen anyone serve food with gloves on their hands.

I do like to remember one sentence: TV is not reality. icon_wink.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 57

no one on food network has any hair nets.
as for gloves...its hard to do cakes and decorate with gloves on.

I find that if you wash your hands often there should not be a problem. i know i cant use gloves to do anything except coloour my fondant.

indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

.....I find that if you wash your hands often there should not be a problem. i know i cant use gloves to do anything except coloour my fondant.

Not allowed here..... no bare handed contact with any food that will not be cooked to food safe temperature unless you file for an exception with the health dept ... and then you have to have very detailed work instructions for your staff re: food safety/cleanliness. My understanding is that exceptions are not granted lightly or easily.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 57

theglove thing you see at the front counter in a sales/food environment I THINK has more to do with the fact that they are handling food AND are handling cash. They are supposed to take the gloves off to handle cash.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 57

I think it's TV, so...whatever... icon_rolleyes.gif

But, am I the only one who'd like to see Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, or Paula Dean in a hairnet...?

HAHAHAHA ROFL

icon_wink.gif

(and I don't wear a net or gloves either when I bake--just a tightly clipped up-do and lots of hand washing, but then, I'm not serving or working with cash)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

theglove thing you see at the front counter in a sales/food environment I THINK has more to do with the fact that they are handling food AND are handling cash. They are supposed to take the gloves off to handle cash.

Money is one of the dirtiest things on the planet and I can't tell you how angry I get when the person behind the counter leaves the gloves on to handle the cash, then handles the food with the same gloves. I won't take it. I'm sorry, the gloves are not there to keep your hands clean in that situation... they are meant for MY protection! Hehehehe! Ok, don't slap me... it's just my OCD issue with cleanliness. icon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #16 of 57

I too think a lot of that is TV, you so often see chefs tasting their stuff with their fingers and sometimes using a spoon over and over!

If I am cooking for me, I might do that, but just out of habbit I have a cup with spoons, close to the stove and I use one the those, my DH and D-Boys's do the same.

I agree that hair nets would not be overly attactive on TV.

Oh well!

Happy Easter!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 57

[quote="homecook"]I think it's TV, so...whatever... icon_rolleyes.gif

But, am I the only one who'd like to see Martha Stewart, Rachel Ray, or Paula Dean in a hairnet...?

HAHAHAHA ROFL
quote]

Martha in a hairnet?!!! icon_confused.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

I'm by no means OCD other than when I'm cooking. My kids have eaten candy, cheerios etc off the floor (before I could stop them) I didn't freak out, but when it comes to money - OH yeah I'm anal about it. You might as well lick the floor of the mens room in a sporting arena.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:40pm
post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo

You might as well lick the floor of the mens room in a sporting arena.

Gaaaaahhhhhhhhh! I am laughing so hard, but gagging at the same time!! I saw some show on TV and they talked about the percentage of money in circulation that has... well... how to put this... 'bathroom product' on it. icon_redface.gif If I go through drive through and eat in the car, I always have hand wipes with me... I will not touch food after money for any reason!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 57

My good friend - who is a prime candidate for OCD diagnosis was telling me about that show. I always think of all those studies they do of people who don't wash there hands after they go to the bathroom. Those same people have handled your money.

As far as hairnets go though, there are lots of other things floating in the air that are going to settle on your food long after the guy making it is done with it.

indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:56pm
post #20 of 57
Quote:

I can tell you in my state, if a health inspector walks into my kitchen and sees someone touching food without gloves, it's a big bad no-no. There is no cash register in my facility ..... we're not a walk-in bakery. When I set up a buffet, things like rolls get refilled with gloves or tongs. No touching the food with bare hands. Anytime. Anywhere. Under any circumstances.

judybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judybee Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #21 of 57

In my state gloves are only required if you are serving food. I did work in a cheese processing plant once, and hairnets were required there, but in any facility that is just preparing and serving food, it isn't. Not even in the schools.

My inspector said nothing is required by law, but to just use good judgement on hair restraints and handwashing. For me that means a ponytail or hat. I never wear gloves unless I'm coloring fondant, and that's only to keep my hands from getting stained. They aren't required at all.

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:49am
post #22 of 57

judybee, that is so interesting to learn of the differences! Sometimes, don't you just wonder at the "logic" of govt entities when they make these rules? I mean, how come it's "dangerous" to touch food if serve a sandwich to a person, but it's NOT "dangerous" if you're in the back room making the sandwich. icon_confused.gif

Sometimes I find the gloves to be so cumbersome because there are some things that I measure the doneness or the consistency or just to know if it's "right" or not by touch.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 2:07am
post #23 of 57

I wear my hair pulled up in a bun and also have a hat on while baking as well as use gloves. I wash my hands till they crack too. I also take my chefs coat off before I go to the bathroom that way I don't ever risk it touching anything. I wash my hands after using the bathroom and once again before I begin working. I have even worn face masks when making orders--just in case. Yes, I'm OCD, I know I am. But in the food industry--better safe than sorry- You'd be suprised how many people won't touch others peoples food at dinners but will eat mine because they know I'm parinoid. icon_lol.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 4:59am
post #24 of 57

I thought I was old fashion because I will still wear a hairnet to bake.

25 yrs. ago when I worked in a meat house we had to wear hair nets. I can't even tell you the last time I've seen someone wear one.

I am suprised you can even buy them anymore.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:15am
post #25 of 57

I made a comment about the hands being all over the cake, fondant, etc. and the hair hanging in the girls' faces on Ace of Cakes once on here and I thought there was going to be a lynch mob come after me so I refrain from my opinions on that show. tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

Not only would I not like to see Martha Stewart in a hair net, I would not like to see Martha Stewart period! icon_lol.gif

Diane

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 6:58am
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Money is one of the dirtiest things on the planet and I can't tell you how angry I get when the person behind the counter leaves the gloves on to handle the cash, then handles the food with the same gloves. I won't take it. I'm sorry, the gloves are not there to keep your hands clean in that situation... they are meant for MY protection! Hehehehe! Ok, don't slap me... it's just my OCD issue with cleanliness. icon_lol.gif

ack! I know what you mean! I went to a fast-food place once and there was one person in there making sandwiches and taking money...not changing gloves or washing hands between. I stopped going to that particular one after that. gross!

oh and this lady who sold sausages at the farmers market last year used to come buy stuff at our bakery booth and she'd be paying us and such and still be wearing her gloves! Then she'd go back and start cooking. Ewww, I never got sausage from them after that!

In my state, you're not required to wear gloves before baking but after things are done being cooked, you're supposed to wear them. We can choose to wear a hat but I find a hairnet easier to deal with and they're really cheap. I figure that if someone sees me in my hairnet, at least they know I'm concerned about the food safety.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 7:13am
post #27 of 57

Now I'm not saying this applies in Duff's situation, but for Rachael Ray, Martha Stewart, and Paula Deen, these womens' shows are for demonstrating how to cook dinner in your own home. It's not the same as preparing and serving in a restaurant. The health department doesn't care if you cook your own family's dinner in the nude! Ya know?

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #28 of 57

I saw an episode of Emeril one time where he was making fun of "The Chicken Police" and he made a big production out of putting on a plastic glove to handle raw chicken. Gawd it was funny! I think the glove was 2 sizes too small and he may have had 2 fingers in one slot! He commented something about how we should be careful because someday the chicken police will follow us home from the grocery to make sure we handle this dangerous bird properly!

Wearing gloves or not wearing gloves is one of those things that, to me, is symbolic. You've got to have the good habits to start with. So someone wears a glove .... how does that stop them from scratching their head or picking their nose or scratching their butt with the glove ON and then going right back to preparing my food?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:35pm
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Wearing gloves or not wearing gloves is one of those things that, to me, is symbolic. You've got to have the good habits to start with. So someone wears a glove .... how does that stop them from scratching their head or picking their nose or scratching their butt with the glove ON and then going right back to preparing my food?

Amen!

I have seen studies that consistently show that food-handlers who wear gloves have much nastier habits than food handlers who don't.

Personally, I hate seeing food handlers with gloves on - especially latex gloves. Latex gloves ought to be outlawed from food places. My husband has a life-threatening allergy to latex, and gloves are the worst! Of course, those who take money should not also be handling food. That always reminds me of the cooked shrimp and seafood that is placed alongside the raw seafood in the seafood cases at grocery stores. icon_confused.gif Gross!

A freshly-washed pair of hands touches all of my cakes, icings, and fondant. I could not work with fondant wearing gloves!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 8:17pm
post #30 of 57

And I remember the days when nothing was gross the word didn't exist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%