First Time Cake Maker

Decorating By kat808 Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm by Lakaath

kat808 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #1 of 12

Okay, this will be my first time to make cake with fondont and decorations. I was just wondering if you guys could PLEASE help me out, what king of starter cake tools should I start off with??? I don't have anything yet and wanted to know what are the basic ones that we would use alot of so I don't waste my money in the beggining with stuff that I do not need yet.

11 replies
allycook Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:59am
post #2 of 12

Wilton has some good tools to start off with such as the set with 5 gumpaste tools. there is also a book with some cutouts and tools if you want to make flowers by Wilton. I have found the best place to start is with the library and on the forum here. just read, read, read and jump in and practice.

StaceyC3 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:13am
post #3 of 12

I think the most important things for making a fondant covered cake are:

A Wilton yearbook (for ideas, basic instructions)
fondant rolling pin (Michael's has them)
rolling mat (I use a big piece of vinyl from Walmart fabric dept.)
a good cake leveler
some fondant cutters (small circles, squares, etc.)

Of course, there's tons of fun "toys" out there to expand your collection!

Renaejrk Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #4 of 12

I love fondant! It can take some getting used to, but once you get a feel for it, it's great to work with! It's so easy to have a smooth, sleek cake, and to make beautiful decorations! You can also paint on it, which I have found to be useful.

Just don't get frustrated if the texture or consistency is giving you problems, there are different things you can do to fix it, and there are several posts on this site about it. Make sure if you do anything like flowers that you want to be 3-dimensional, that you give them plenty of time to dry. You can also do a 50/50 mix with gumpaste to help them harden a little more and not be quite as fragile, so I'm told (I haven't tried it yet, just got the tip this week).

Have fun!

heavensgaits Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyC3

I think the most important things for making a fondant covered cake are:

A Wilton yearbook (for ideas, basic instructions)
fondant rolling pin (Michael's has them)
rolling mat (I use a big piece of vinyl from Walmart fabric dept.)
a good cake leveler
some fondant cutters (small circles, squares, etc.)

Of course, there's tons of fun "toys" out there to expand your collection!

I agree with StaceyC3. I started out with everything she's listed except for the fondant rolling pin; I use a nonstick Farberware rolling pin that I already had and it works great. I bought the wilton fondant rolling mat, but I think I would like the vinyl that everyone is using. If you don't want to purchase a leveler just yet, although I would suggest it, you can use a serrated knife to cut the top of the cake. I bought a small level from the hardware department at walmart that I use along with the serrated knife to level the cake. Hope this gives you some options. Do lots of searches on CC. There are lots of inexpensive things that people use that they got from the hardward store.

kat808 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone for all of your feedback I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 8:21am
post #7 of 12

A fondant smoother is really helpful, it looks like a little plastic iron and I know Michael's carries the Wilton one. You can smooth it with your hands of course but the plastic smoother makes it so much easier and isn't expensive, I'd like another one as a matter of fact, for my other hand, two will give you nice, crisp, clean corners and edges.

pattycakesnj Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 12

viva paper towel for smoothing bc. if that is not smooth, every flaw in it will show thru your fondant. I also use a big piece of vinyl for rolling out fondant and use no crisco or pc.

Lakaath Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 12

I don't understand what kind of vinyl mat you guys are referring to. From the fabric dept? What does it look like? Thanks!

pattycakesnj Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 12

yes, from the fabric store. Comes on a big bolt, clear vinyl, in different thicknesses. You buy it like fabric, by the yard. HTH

Love2BakeCakes Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 12

Blessings

The advice, tools and hints that the decorators have mentioned are excellent.

I would just like to add that for every one time you get it right there will be many times that you get it wrong. Just be patient and keep practicing. With each practice session, know that you are learning and getting better.

Lakaath Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks Patty, I think I know what you are talking about now. This site rocks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%