Cake Business In Australia

Business By Allyson Updated 10 Apr 2006 , 11:59pm by dky

Allyson Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 9:49am
post #1 of 11


I am an Australian Cake Decorator, interested in starting a bit of a part time home business making cakes for friends. Can anyone provide me with any assistance finding out about legislation and requirements to run a cake business from home in Australia?


10 replies
MustloveDogs Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 10:15am
post #2 of 11

Which state are you in?

Allyson Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:03am
post #3 of 11


MustloveDogs Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 11:21am
post #4 of 11

The best bet is to contact your council they can give you their requirements to work legally for hygiene purposes and also check your home for zoning to ensure that you can operate from there.

randel Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 3:48am
post #5 of 11

How many cakes would you do in a week? I would like to do the same but would need to make around $300 and that's a lot of cake!!

Allyson Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:49am
post #6 of 11

Hi Randell,

At the moment I am only intending to do one or less a week, and run at a minor loss or profit. Really just to sponsor my hobby. But I would always have a view to scale up the operation if for example I ever lost my day job, felt like a change, or chose to have children.

franjmc Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 10:06am
post #7 of 11


You need to contact your local council. They will tell you the specific requirements for registering your kitchen with them.

If you haven't already, you can register your business name online at the consumer affairs website, and you will need and ABN and to register for GST through the Australian Taxation Office.

There's a little bit of study required, nothing major, and some paper work, but unless you council is really difficult it's not a complex matter.

Good luck.


dky Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 11

oh Fran but it is in NSW ..... NSW have to comply with a National Standard as well as local council as well as the NSW FOOD AUTHORITY.

The national standard basically requires you to have a commercial quality kitchen in your home.

I am in NSW and can fill you in on my progress so far... just send me a pm.


chuelchie Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 11

Would this apply to South Australia as well?

I'm interested as well but I pretty much only want to do 1 or maybe 2 cakes a month as I have a young family


franjmc Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 11

My apologies Allyson,

I should have read that you are in NSW, and referred you to Karen for advice. She has been working on this for a while now, and would have much more info than I do.

I still think the first port of call has to be your council though. Even here in Melbourne the requirement vary greatly.

Good luck with it.


dky Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 11

your so lucky fran.... I want your council...


Quote by @%username% on %date%