Ocala Florida Cake Supply Stores?

Decorating By Melvira Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 1:34am by jclvs2

Melvira Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 14

Yes, I'm hitting the road again next week, this time heading to Ocala Florida, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any good stores to visit while I'm there. I did get to visit one place while I was there this past fall... The Sugar Plum Shoppe, and they had a nice, albeit small selection of cake goods, but they are mainly a party supply store. I was wondering about some bakery supply/cake stores that any of you are familiar with. Please let me know if you have suggestions!

13 replies
dodibug Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 14

Would you have time for a trip over to Orlando? There is a big cake supply store over there. I was just there this past week and would still be there if my 2 hadn't been ready to go! icon_lol.gif If you want to know more about the O-town store just let me know!

Sugar Plum is the only one I have been able to find in that area too.

Melvira Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #3 of 14

We are flying into and out of Orlando... so I am totally interested! If you give me the info I can call my MIL and ask her if she knows how far out of our way it would be. I would happily go there for a few hours and let her play with the baby! As long as it's not a repeat of the Sugar Plum Shoppe... they sat in the car with the engine running, waiting. Never have I wanted to choke a minister and his wife so badly in all my life! haha! Just teasing! But it really was awful to have to rush through and barely look at anything because I felt like I was wasting their time! So, let me know where it's at and she can find out if there is a park nearby where she can play with the baby! Also, if you have info on their hours or a phone number I can call to get that info, that would be great because we're arriving Wednesday, leaving Saturday. Thanks so much for your help!

dodibug Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 14

It's called D&G Occaisions. Here is a link to their yellow pages ad but I would double check their hours but I'm pretty sure they stay open until at least 5 everyday.

http://www.realpageslive.com/online/2006/12677_1135.jpg

The 2 times I have been there I was there at least an hour + each time. They have a bit of everything. Great prices on meringue powder, cake pans, sleeve fillings, dusts, a ton of candy molds, lots of goodies!

There are lots of stores nearby. I can't remember if the Chick-fi-a has a play area but it is not far from D&G at all!

Have fun!

Melvira Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 14

Hmmmmm... MIL adores Chick-fil-a's ice cream... that could buy me a few minutes! icon_wink.gif

Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait!

laly Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #6 of 14

The Fashion Square Mall is right across.

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:47am
post #7 of 14

I LOVE YOU DODIBUG!!!

Today was my last day in Florida and we had arranged that on the way to the airport I could have a short visit to D&G... it wasn't even CLOSE to enough time, but I LOVED it!! I had a wonderful time... bought a few really neat things, and MY GOODNESS!!! Have you ever seen so many candy molds in all your life?!?!?!? I was losing it! They didn't have a bazillion cake things, as they are a general party store, but they had a good enough selection, and I was able to spend over a hundred dollars in 20 minutes, so who's to complain!! Now it's time to do some baking!! YAY!!!

dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 14

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I love you too! icon_lol.gif

I just love that place. They have a bit of everything. They do have a sea of candy molds and the cookie cutters are so cheap. 20 minutes! No way that was enough time!

Glad you enjoyed it and had a safe trip home!

icon_smile.gif dori

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 14

I told MIL that next time I am driving down (or flying down and renting a car to go home) so that I can load up on stuff. The worst part of the shopping trip, other than the limited time, was knowing that most of what I wanted, I couldn't take on the plane with me. icon_cry.gif That is just inhumane!!

dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 14

Ooooh, that's not fair! The good thing is you can pack everything in checked luggage! Bring an extra (large) suitcase next time just for cake supplies! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 14

That was the other option I mentioned to my DH... bring a large suitcase totally empty to pack with new cake stuff! icon_wink.gif But that still doesn't help me with the 'they only gave me 20 minutes' issue! I guess I just have to be more forceful! icon_wink.gif Not a problem... I can be pretty insistent when necessary!

dodibug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 14

20 min=not enough!

Last time I was there it took me about 2 hours just to play!
icon_smile.gif

jclvs2 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 1:33am
post #13 of 14

ADoes anyone here know the best place to buy bakery ovens, refrigerated cases etc in or near Ocala Fl. It can be used or new. Thanks in advance.

jclvs2 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 1:34am
post #14 of 14

AWow just noticed how olsd these posts were!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%