Help! Need A Quick Teacher Idea!

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 24 Apr 2005 , 9:02pm by Lisa

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 10

I just found out that my son's substitute teacher's last day is Monday and that his regular teacher returns from maternity leave the next day. I was asked to make a cake/cupcakes for a little "goodbye Miss Alice" party and wanted to make both.....cupcakes for the children and teachers to eat, and a matching cake for Miss Alice to take home.

My thought is to make a bunch of little children out of fondant and perch them on top of a 2-layer 8-inch round fondant covered cake with each child's name written on it (there are only 12 kids in his class, so it shouldn't be too hard if I do them "assembly line") for the teacher to take home and then make buttercream-iced cupcakes for the children to eat during the party.....

has anyone ever seen a cake with a bunch of people on it that can direct me to one to use as a reference? Thanks!

9 replies
tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 10

Wish I could help you with that but I can't but I did want to say what a fabulous Idea you have. Good luck

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

Here is something I found on Wilton. I thought it might give you an idea.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/yearbook/bookedforanotheryear.cfm

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 10

I've seen a cake in one of the Wilton YBs that had a bunch of little faces on it. They were rounds cut from fondant and decorated to look like faces with hair, eyes and mouths--no bodies. Then names were piped under them. I can't remember if it was a reunion cake or a school themed cake. It was cute!

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:39am
post #5 of 10

It was a family reunion cake with the faces on a tree, I think in the Course 1 book, and there were also cupcakes with the faces too. If you need the pic, let me know & I can email to you.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:41am
post #6 of 10

Another cute idea that I've seen done is to do a sheet cake and decorate it like a piece of lined notebook paper, with a 'note' from the kids written on it. It might be easier if you get pinched for time doing all of your little fondant children. icon_smile.gif

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 10
Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 10
MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I ended up making all the heads a little too big, so when I went to make the children, the bodies had to be WAY too big for them all to fit on the cake!

So what I did was rip the heads off the bodies that I did....and I am just going to put the heads/faces on the cake (on the bottom tier, so that along with a small dot border should cover up my inexperience with fondant....although I still have to put hair on all these heads <grin>icon_wink.gif Then, on the top of the cake, I think I will cut out fondant letters and spell out "Miss Alice - an A+ teacher!" And then, assuming that I have time and my handwriting cooperates, I will write the names of the children in bc on the sides of the cake

I'll post a picture as soon as I am done!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 10

That sounds like it's going to be a great cake! Looking forward to seeing the pic

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%