Serving Charts Aside, How Many People Would You Say...

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm by peg818

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 9

Serving charts aside, how many people would YOU say an 11 x 15 would serve?

It's 2 layers of cake with one layer of filling.

Thank you.

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 9

These are the two sizes I figure as a cake slice. These cover single and double layer cakes.

2"x2"x2"
1"x2"x4"

With these dimensions you should be able to figure out how many all of your pans serve.

HTH

bouncyboing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bouncyboing Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 9

It depends how big your serving are. If it's just so everone gets a slice (ie 1" x 2") approx 75. If it's being served as a desert 2" x 2" portion is the minimum I would do - so more like 35 portions.

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 9

35-40 party size servings. icon_wink.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

These are the two sizes I figure as a cake slice. These cover single and double layer cakes.

2"x2"x2"
1"x2"x4"

With these dimensions you should be able to figure out how many all of your pans serve.

HTH

DITTO!!

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

2"x2"x2"
1"x2"x4"

HTH

Hope this isn't an ignorant follow-up question.........If you are figuring for a round cake, would you slice off the rounded portions (figuratively speaking) and calculate from there?

Sheet cakes are easy for me to figure out but I get in trouble when I think too hard about other sizes/shapes! icon_smile.gif I think in terms of a box mix or other single cake recipe.....it yields 24 cupcakes, a 2-layer 8" or 9" round, or a single layer 9"x13". So it seems to me that the round or 1/4 sheet should yield 24 servings....like the cupcakes. The 9"x13" does yield 24 2"x2"x2" slices. But I just can't see getting 24 wedges out of an 8" or 9" 2-layer round!! icon_confused.gif Am I just a piglet? icon_biggrin.gif

bouncyboing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bouncyboing Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcat

[.........If you are figuring for a round cake, would you slice off the rounded portions (figuratively speaking) and calculate from there?

I usually knock of 10% for round or shaped cakes as a rough guide. ie 45 portions for square or 45 minus 4.5 portions for round - approx 40 portions.

HTH

jo

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcat

Hope this isn't an ignorant follow-up question.........If you are figuring for a round cake, would you slice off the rounded portions (figuratively speaking) and calculate from there?

No question is ignorant or stupid, we don't know until we ask.

I usually figure servings wedding cake style by moving in 2" from the outside of the cake then every 1" for 4" thick cakes. But I tend to look at stuff through trig/geometry and just in general mathmatically no matter what it is. Then you can just cut really thin wedges or cut wedding cake style.

But Bouncyboing percentage is a good one to go off of, and a little quicker to figure out icon_wink.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 9

i figure for the amount of cake recipes use.

Like if i use one mix i figure 15-20 servings. So a one layer 11x15 would serve 30 to 40 people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%