Airbrush And Luster Dust

Decorating By TandTHarrell Updated 8 Apr 2007 , 5:12am by lubell

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone please tell me ,how can I use the luster dust in my airbrush machine and can I spray it on buttercream....Thanks

6 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 7

Mix the luster dust with vodka or everclear and make it pretty thin--so that you have more vodka than dust. Load it in your airbrush like you would airbrush color and let it go! thumbs_up.gif And yup, it is the best way to use luster dust on BC without making a mess.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 7

I've heard people say that luster dust ruins their airbrush, but I haven't had any problems. I run an ounce or two of Everclear through the brush after I've finished with the luster dust. No problems at all....

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 8:30am
post #4 of 7

only have whisky will that work..what about the taste.. what is everclear

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

only have whisky will that work..what about the taste.. what is everclear

Well, you would use a clear alcohol so that no possible color trace is left and that no major ordor or taste that would be left. Whisky has a distinct smell where as vodka or gin are almost odorless. I tried playing around with some tequlia and that left a definite smell so I will never use that on a "live" cake. Everclear is a grain alcohol so it has a very high alcohol content and not available in every state.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 7

Its been clogging up and messing up my airbrush for awhile now.... now my brush won't even use it. But I assume that I am not using enough alcohol? I've been using mint extract because it is 90% alcohol (so I have to be careful not to spray an entire cake with it!).

I have an airmaster and have had to take it apart SO many times and I think its because of luster dust...but then, maybe I'm making it too thick. I try to make it runny but it doesn't seem to matter, maybe its not runny enough. We do it at work with the exact same airbrush and its fine so not sure...maybe I need to buy some airbrush parts.

Once my husband takes it apart and cleans it some, it sprays color just fine...but put some luster in it and its done again and must be taken totally apart again. icon_cry.gif

lubell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lubell Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 5:12am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Newtodecorating! I will try that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%