Gaps Between Stacks And A Few Other Things

Decorating By phoenix13 Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 10:22pm by Baking Sis

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:10am
post #1 of 10

I have a four tier stacked pure white buttercream cake for next weekend.No decoration, no border, only a few fresh flowers. So it needs to have that smooth seemless look. Whats your favorite pure whit buttercrem that is pretty stable? i thought crusting to get a smooth look w/ viva? And I seem to get a gap between my stacks which can look pretty awkward. How to fix this problem? I am going to either use the plastic dowls or hidden pillars and plastic plates as support. I am afraid to cut the dowels shorter cause of the weight on the cakes. But cant have those gaps. Please help, my last cake was in the disasters and I really need some redemption

icon_surprised.gif

9 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure what you mean by gaps...do you mean on the sides of the cake where the layers don't meet up quite right? You can pipe a thick line of BC along the 'gap' before you frost the cake, that will help fill it in.
The BC I use is Wilton half butter/half crisco. If it's not white enough, I add a touch a violet color to cancel out the yellowish color from the butter.

phoenix13 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #3 of 10

No I mean when you stack the tiers sometimes there is a gap between . Like the bottom cake sides slope slightly down, enough to make a noticable gap. The cake I have to make has no borders so theres no hiding it.How do I fix it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #4 of 10

What we do at work is after the cake is refrigerated (so icing is stiff) and then stack the cake....then pipe about a number 5 or 7 round line of icing around the base of each tier....and then take a clean finger and run it around the base as you spin the turntable. Your finger will smooth out the line and make the gap disappear. The refrigerated icing is hard so your finger won't mess up the sides. Its very cool. thumbs_up.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #5 of 10

Are you slicing off the top to make it completely flat? I've learned that I can't get away with even a little bit of a slope or it won't turn out.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 1:57am
post #6 of 10

If I needed a stacked cake with no borders I would use only my plastic dowels with the screw heads so I could control the height and then set the plates directly on them. I also use a plate that is smaller than my layers so the cake is all one sees.

Is that as clear as mud? Sorry, I'm tired, long day.

Good Luck.

Beth in KY

phoenix13 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 10

Yes, very tired too, but thanks it's all making sense now. I have the screw type too but afraid the people may lose them.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:44am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13

Yes, very tired too, but thanks it's all making sense now. I have the screw type too but afraid the people may lose them.

I've been lucky. So far, I've only lost 2. BUT, I think that you could use the hidden pillars as well, just make sure your plate is smaller than your layer and if there is a gap...maybe trim the pillars a little more.

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:56am
post #9 of 10

I'm serious, all you have to do is fill in the gap with icing and smooth it in.... easy as that...

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl 

What we do at work is after the cake is refrigerated (so icing is stiff) and then stack the cake....then pipe about a number 5 or 7 round line of icing around the base of each tier....and then take a clean finger and run it around the base as you spin the turntable. Your finger will smooth out the line and make the gap disappear. The refrigerated icing is hard so your finger won't mess up the sides. Its very cool. thumbs_up.gif

OMG...that is so cool!  It makes me want to make a stacked cake yet tonight just to try it out!   One of my sisters is turning 50 next week...I could practice this weekend! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%