Help!!!my Cake Is Burning On Edges, I Need

Decorating By alabamadecorator Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm by Antylucifer

alabamadecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alabamadecorator Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:48am
post #1 of 7

my cakes are getting done around the edges so much they are burning, and the inside is not getting done as quick. What can I do to make my cake bake more evenly, if anything at all. Thanks [/quote][/i]

6 replies
laly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laly Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:00am
post #2 of 7

Check the oven temperature. It could be off and that's why your cakes are not getting done inside and burned on the outside.

jelligirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jelligirl Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #3 of 7

i've had that problem as well and what i do is bake lower and longer and my cakes don't burn now...my oven is the same way...

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 7

Bake at 325° and get an overn thermometer to check and make sure your oven is correct--- I did this recently and found out my oven is about 25° hotter than what it reads, so I bake at 300F.

rjtaconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjtaconner Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 7

I also use the wilton baking strips around the edges of the pan.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 7

the baking strips will deff. help. i have read one person on cc makes there own baking strips i think out of layers of terrycloth. just remember to wet them first.
also baking on lower temp. as previous decorator noted.

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 7

Just went through this last week-I saw it on Good Eats-they explained it like this. Bad ovens can fluctuate 40-50 degrees while on, better ovens fluctuate 30-40 degrees. When we preheat, the air is the only thing that actually reaches the desired temp. That leaves the surrounding sides and door at different temps-you'll notice the oven kicking on on off more often because the entire oven is trying to reach the right temp. They say if you place a pizza stone on the bottom rack and let the oven preheat an extra 15 minutes, you will acheive the desired temp at an more consistant rate.

IT WORKS! My 2 year old oven has been off since we bought it-cold spots, baking uneven, etc. so I've had to adapt and adjust. I put the pizza stone in on Friday and can't believe the difference it's made. Finally-even cooking without moving pans around-it's great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%