My Biggest Problem(S)!

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 24 Apr 2005 , 8:38am by blessBeckysbaking

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:54am
post #1 of 25

My biggest problem seems to be spelling! What a dork I am sometimes!! I just get so concentrated on the perfection of my handwriting that I've forgotten letters! I've done this twice now...I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing now!

One other disaster - I was finished with a wedding cake and putting each layer in the back of the jeep. I came out with one of the layers and my cat was in the back of the jeep chowing down on the cake! I was sooooo mad!! Lucky he ran - or we would have grilled him for dinner! (kidding). Well, I had no choice but to take off the "infected area" and fill in the giant hole with frosting! Luckily, that cake never got cut that night! Learned a valuable lesson that day and was very late getting to the set up. People were standing around watching me set it up. I bet my blood pressure was deadly for about 2 hours!
LL
LL

24 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:05am
post #2 of 25

Cat's eat cake too! It must be the butter icon_razz.gif I'm such a dork that I had to read your pic descriptions just to find the spelling errors!

sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:08am
post #3 of 25

icon_lol.gif Crack me up... thanks - I don't feel so bad now. ha! icon_biggrin.gif

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:08am
post #4 of 25

Your cakes are nice and pretty, the writing is real good, but how on earth can you in good conscious deliver a wedding cake that your cat was chowing down on. That is just gross!!!! Sorry for my comment, but seems that you could have done something different. Now I know this will probably get deleted. I'm not usually critical. Probably no one will answer anymore of my questions!!!

sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:14am
post #5 of 25

Well I did say that I removed the portion all around the eaten area....I know it is just the "thought" of it that is gross, but I had no choice. I didn't make an entire extra decorated layer of wedding cake to bring along and they were all different sizes too. I'm not a gross person - I'm a very SANITARY person and did everything I could to fix the problem - and I was mortified, but I was literally walking out the door! Hope everyone understands this - I don't need a bad reputation - I just thought I'd share the misery which is what this section was created for. icon_sad.gif

Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:17am
post #6 of 25

Everyone is free to express how they feel. I think this was a case of fixed cake or no cake. At least the infected part was cut off and it didn't get eaten...well not that night anyway. This was a true cake disaster...poor sunlover...I wouldn't have traded places with you that day for anything!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:23am
post #7 of 25

Even when a cat "chows down" their mouths are very small and I'll bet that "giant hole" was actually not all that big! What else was she supposed to do, she was loading her car to deliver a wedding cake, should she just call them and say sorry, I can't make it? I can just imagine how that would have gone over!

IMHO She did the only thing she could do, remove the area where the cat had eaten, repair the cake and go! Janice

cakes-r-us Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:31am
post #8 of 25

Sorry sunlover, like u said, it was the "thought of it" that was gross. You gotta do what u gotta do. I dont usually make a "just in case something happens cake", I do always carry enough supplies for any repairs that I may need to make, when setting up wedding cakes.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:01am
post #9 of 25

just something for you all to "chomp" on.....
cat and dogs mouths, though kind of disqusting to think about, are very sanitary... I have had several doctors tell me that... because I was always wondering about our dogs licking my kids face, and thier booboos and the doctors said that their saliva has some kind of antibody to it..... now I'm no doctor, but I tend to believe things that make sense...and especially if I can find info on the internet about it.

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:17am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover00

My biggest problem seems to be spelling! What a dork I am sometimes!! I just get so concentrated on the perfection of my handwriting that I've forgotten letters! I've done this twice now...I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing now!

One other disaster - I was finished with a wedding cake and putting each layer in the back of the jeep. I came out with one of the layers and my cat was in the back of the jeep chowing down on the cake! I was sooooo mad!! Lucky he ran - or we would have grilled him for dinner! (kidding). Well, I had no choice but to take off the "infected area" and fill in the giant hole with frosting! Luckily, that cake never got cut that night! Learned a valuable lesson that day and was very late getting to the set up. People were standing around watching me set it up. I bet my blood pressure was deadly for about 2 hours!

I can't count how many times I've had to scrape off my writing and redo it because I've forgotten a letter....I did it again last night! icon_cry.gif It's very frustrating. Your not a dork....happens to everyone at least once I'm sure. After all we are only human! icon_biggrin.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 1:40pm
post #11 of 25

you a dork? heck no.... the human eye slips over letters.... its a fact...

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 25

I always used to spell CONGRATULATIONS wrong!!! Now when I write it on a cake I say to myself, CON-GRAT-U-LA-TIONS. Now that I do that I spell it right every time!!!!

~Luraleigh~

sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 25

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for all of the support! You guys are the best.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 25

I too have made spelling mistakes. Like Luraleigh I always have to think about Congratulations, I usually want to but a d in the mix icon_smile.gificon_redface.gif

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 25

Hey Cocakedecorator!!!

That's what I always did too!! So thats why I came up with my new method and really emphasised the T in the GRAT part because I also used a "D" instead of a "T"!!!

~Luraleigh~

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 25

I got this in my email a while back, and after reading it, I better understand how we can leave letters out of words and nobody will notice it!
"Typoglycemia

Don't delete this because it looks weird. Believe it or not you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt."

Apologies to those of you who are learning English and translating, I'm not really trying to confuse you! I just thought this was really interesting! Janice

cakes-r-us Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:44pm
post #17 of 25

You were right, I zipped through it with no hesitation. Amazing.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 25

That is too funny!!! At first I was trying to pronounce each word and then I just started reading and went through it like it was all spelled correctly. The mind is an amazing thing!! icon_lol.gif

Charlotte

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:06pm
post #19 of 25

Wow I didn't have a problem reading that at all! Weird.

Lisa Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 5:52pm
post #20 of 25

That's really neat Janice! I've always thought it was funny too that phonetics isn't spelled the way it sounds--LOL!

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:43pm
post #21 of 25

Sunlover,

Don't feel bad about the cat incident. Murphys law and all that. You did do the right thing in fixing it, then delivering it. The 'infected' area was gone (no more germ issue), everything was still clean, and everything was still sanitary. I say be glad your cat didn't walk across it then lay down!!! I admit that I have a cat that would do that if I didn't watch him like a hawk when I have cakes out. He is such a little bugger, just has to get into everything! Since he is about 16 lbs., he would squash it flat! icon_smile.gif

Anyway, my wish to you is that that is your only bad animal/cake disaster.

Crystal

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 10:26pm
post #22 of 25

How funny. I breezed through that like it was all spelled perfectly. NOW if someone could just explain why I talk backwards sometimes. My sisters and I all do the exact same thing. I've been told it's because my mind, great thing that it is, speeds along faster than my mouth can move. Ha ha.....

Well I'm sending this to me sisters right now. Thanks for sharing, really!!

lahnijohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lahnijohnson Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 7:08am
post #23 of 25

Wow, I just love your story! I'm a proof-reader by day and a wanna-be baker by night so I pick up on all the grammar, spelling and other typing mistakes in the forums and I just love how I don't have to fix them. You make beautiful cakes and I learn a lot from stories and pictures, but you can't spell. thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 8:04am
post #24 of 25

I had a friend send me an email like that about a month agao. I thought it was so cool, too. The mind is an amazing thing! Now if I can only get my mind wrapped around the cornelli lace technique!!! icon_lol.gif

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 8:38am
post #25 of 25

that is so way out I could read it like nothing was misspelled wow! lol for the night thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%