Cream Cheese Filling/frosting

Decorating By ds Updated 21 Apr 2016 , 5:04pm by -K8memphis

ds Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 11

i hope this doesn't sounds stupid, but can somebody tell me if you need to refrigerate a cake if you use a cream cheese filling or frosting.

And if you need to refrigerate the cake with creamcheese filling/frosting, how long can you let it outside of the refrigerator?

thanks for reading,

10 replies
ds Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 11

I never made a cream cheese filling/frosting, so could please somebody help me with this.

prterrell Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, cream cheese frosting/filling must be refrigerated. It would be ok sitting out during a party (ie for an hour or so).

ds Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 11

oh ok,
thank you for your help

cathyscakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:21am
post #5 of 11

I'm really confused on this one. I looked it up and they said it didn't need to be refrigerated on one site, and then other places said it did. With all of the sugar, it acts as a preservative. so I'm totally unsure, better safe than sorry.

willman Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #6 of 11

I have used cream cheese as a filling on many occasions and have left it out for several days on more than one occasion and nobody got sick I was totally impressed must be something to all the sugar preserving it.

cookiemum123 Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 11

I was reading on one of the threads that one baker used vinegar per tablespoon of butter ... but I can't seem to find it again. I thought it was a good idea to get the same flavor (or similar) and eliminate the whole spoilage delimma.

Anyone else know what thread that is it might be helpful here.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 11

i don't know where the previous posts are but i use one or two tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar in one batch of icing -- gives a tang without having to deal with cream cheese

kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 11

That suggestion is in several threads - one of which is the HUGE/ long gourmet flavors of cakes.

cookiemum123 Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you k8memphis, your a wealth of knowledge and so helpful.  I found the link and thought it would be good to bump up, because I think it's a good alternative to cream cheese not only for regulations and avoiding spoilage...but adding vinegar  to a nondairy frosting, would be a great vegetarian or vegan alternative. IDK that's my two cents. :)

-K8memphis Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 11

thank you cookiemum

Quote by @%username% on %date%