Freezing Cakes

Decorating By ntertayneme Updated 23 Apr 2005 , 3:36am by ntertayneme

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 7

Ok... I keep seeing everyone saying they freeze their cakes.... I've never done this before, so any tips on HOW it's done, I would greatly appreciate!! Do you wrap them in something like foil, or what? Do you crumb coat them first or just freeze them w/o frosting? Does this dry them out or do they stay moist? I know some of these questions may sound stupid, but I just wanted to know how some of you do yours.

Thanks!

6 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 7

I just recently froze my first cakes ....baked them, let them cool and then wrapped them in plastic wrap and then in freezer paper......I should have crumb coated them first I think because the crumbs were much worse after freezing than when I ice them right away.....next time I am going to try doing a crumb coat before I freeze them and see if that helps......they tasted great though.....were just as moist as if I had made them that day. Hopefully you'll get some responses from some who are pros at this though....I've just done it once so far.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 7

I freeze cakes all the time!
To freeze
1) Bake cakes and allow to cool completely.
2) Wrap cooled cakes in saran wrap or glad press 'n seal.
3) Wrap cake in reynold's freezer paper, just like wrapping a present.
4) Mark on the package what the cake is and the freezing date.

To defrost
1) Remove wrapped packages and place on countertop to defrost. Do this 45 minutes to an hour before you start to decorate. This is a good time to cover your cake boards, maybe make your icing if you have not done so already. Or even get your colors ready.
2) Leave cakes wrapped while defrosting or your cakes will lose their moisture and have a slight dried out cake taste to them when eating them. (I learned this from experience.)

The cakes can still be slightly cold when icing, at this point I crumbcoat with thinned down icing and it really helps the icing and any crumbs in it set up. I wait at least 5 minutes before putting on the final layer of icing.
Any other questions just ask thumbs_up.gif
m0use

edit note- spelling correction

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 7

This is the method I learned and have used for five years now especially when doing wedding cakes. Definately wait until cakes cool completely. Place on cake board. Wrap in plastic wrap, couple layers, then wrap in foil! I then place the cake in a trash bag or grocery store bag. I place them in a deep freeze ( this type of freezer is best) or in my freezer with my fridge. If you don't have a deep freeze place cake as far in the back as you can to keep any outside air from getting to the cake. This helps preserve the cake. When I need it I take it out of the freezer and place (still wrapped up) in the refridgerator to thaw for 24 hours. The cake is still moist as if I had just baked it. You can do this filled or not filled. I've never crumb coated first but I don't think there would be any problem doing that. I'll have to try that myself. Hope this helps!!!

Amy

ntertayneme Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

How long will they keep like this in the freezer? Or what is the longest time you've frozen yours?

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:30am
post #6 of 7

Well, I've had some in the freezer (deep freeze) for a few months. I had thawed one and used it for a last minute cake and it was great!!! (so I was told) The texture of it was spongy and fresh!

Amy

ntertayneme Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 3:36am
post #7 of 7

cool... thanks for all you responses.. it's sure helped me a lot.. I always bake mine, wait for it to cool, then decorate it .. which can take quite some time .. if I could freeze them and take them out, it'd be a lot faster to do ..

Thanks again everyone for all the great info!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%