Piping Wilton Bc...what Gives!?

Decorating By cakegirlcakes Updated 3 Apr 2006 , 8:40pm by cakegirlcakes

cakegirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlcakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:57am
post #1 of 26

hey everyone
i DID do a search so i wouldnt tax the cake universe anymore, but could not find specifically what im looking for. actually, im not looking so much as fretting. for the life of me (and i generally have good control, etc.) i cannot get the wilton BC to pipe for me. the shells and borders look awful. the shells just spit at the end. i cant do the reverse border b/c of the same thing. (it acts too stiff no matter WHAT consistency)! i have a KA and so started mixing it on stir so as not to add air, and only long enough to combine. ive tried thinning it - just the same awful icing - only runnier. i can do anything with RI! i need a BC that is good for piping and for me, it is NOT wilton, unless there is a secret to it? thanks for listening! icon_mad.gif
-chisl

25 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:21am
post #2 of 26

Are you using the all shortening recipe? Or the shortening/butter recipe. Because I have noticed when I do the half butter recipe it turns out smoother and I get better results. I also stir and mix on low until I get the consistency I want, and I use warm water and have noticed that helps as well. And if I use crappy sugar (cheap stuff, LOL), the frosting doesn't pipe well.

Good Luck!!!
Angie

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:41am
post #3 of 26

I am not sure what wilton recipe you are using, however I am assuming it is the class BC recipe. My first suggestion (and I have learned this from experience) Make sure you cream your shortening in your mixer first. Then add your other ingredients.

However here is Wilton's recipe for Basic icing's.
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/browse.cfm?category_id=16

I use the Buttercream Icing. I have printed off a few others to try, however the Buttercream icing recipe they have here is a favorite of the ones that eat my cakes. So I haven't had a chance to try the other buttercream recipes, although I hope to soon.

You may want to try some of their other recipes. There is the Snow-white, french-buttercream, extra-special... etc. You could cut all the recipes in half if you needed to just see what they all were.

Also, do you have any pictures of what your problemed icing looks like when decorating with it? It may give us some ideas for you depending on what it looks like (sorry i know you described it, but i have found out that one persons Red is another persons pink etc...)

HTH
Leily

cakegirlcakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:55am
post #4 of 26

wow guys - thank you!
i will try a half butter tommorrow and see if that works better. also, i cream my crisco, but with the liquids (as instructed)! is that what you do or do you just let the mixer soften up the crisco? i will also try the warm water too. thanks for the link to more icings leily. if my icing is still screwy tommorrow, i will take a photo and post it so you can see my nightmare. thanks for caring and for your replies icon_biggrin.gif
-chisl

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 26

Nooo....don't try adding the liquid to the shortening at the beginning of the mixing process. Cream your Crisco (this should only take a few seconds on speed 2 or 3), then add about a third of your powdered sugar on low (throw a damp towel over your mixer to catch the sugar cloud), as it is incorporating, add a third of your liquids (mix your water, extracts, and salt in one measuring cup), add a third of your sugar, half of the rest of your liquids, the rest of your sugar, and then finish up with the remaining liquid. Don't overmix.

Now, I hate the Wilton class bc recipe because I think it's retarded to mix a whole batch of stiff icing, only to have to tweak most of it down to medium.

I can email you the icing recipe I give all of my students (and have for 8 years). This icing produces a medium consistency icing and is what I use on wedding cakes requiring white icing. I'll need your email addy if you would like it.

I don't recommend trying a butter/crisco recipe if you're just learning because the butter gets too soft relatively fast.

~ Sherri

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 26

Now, I hate the Wilton class bc recipe because I think it's retarded to mix a whole batch of stiff icing, only to have to tweak most of it down to medium.

Cakepro, your above paragraph had me spit my tea out all over my desk I was laughing so hard! CC is going to get me fired from my "day" job!

~Nicole

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 26

Hi,

I would like to have the BC recipe as well if you don't mind Cakepro!?!

My email is [email protected] have been using the Wilton BC icing too, and sometimes it works great and other times I have trouble. I would like a white, easy, BC icing.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 26

When I lived in oregon, I found at certain times, the water treatment plant used chemicals, that broke down the bc. So I always use bottle water now

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

Hi,

I would like to have the BC recipe as well if you don't mind Cakepro!?!

My email is [email protected] have been using the Wilton BC icing too, and sometimes it works great and other times I have trouble. I would like a white, easy, BC icing.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Me too! me too! I use all butter in my wilton class bc and add the violet I hate crisco taste! Still have problems getting the consistancey stiff enough for my roses no matter how much sugar it is always too soft?!.

My email address is [email protected]

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 26

cakepro:
Please post your buttercream recipe, so we can all enjoy it. Thank you

craftst3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftst3 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 26

I would like a copy of your bc recipe too if you do not mind. I am new to cake decorating and have only tried the Wilton recipe. Sometimes it works really well and other times it seems like it is just to thin. I look forward to hearing from you. My email address is [email protected]. Thank you for sharing with those of us that are just starting out.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 26

Please send me the recipe, also - [email protected]. Thanks a bunch.

kaykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaykakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 26

I also would love to have the recipe. Thank you so much [email protected]

Julieboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julieboo Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 26

HI Cakepro:
I would also like to have a copy of your bc recipe. [email protected]... thank you very much.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 26

Cakepro
Please send me the recipe also!
Can you PM me?
thanks

cakegirlcakes Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:25pm
post #16 of 26

cakepro - thank you! yes, i would LOVE your recipe - [email protected] or PM me.
isn't it amazing that if you follow the written directions for the wilton bc, you must cream the crisco with the liquids!! yours is exactly the kind of "tip" i was looking for and needing. thank you for your response and for your humor! i've wasted too much xxsugar already!
-chisl

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 26

Hi all ~

I have uploaded my recipe to my website for downloading. I'm trying to get out of here to go to the Cake & Sugar Art show in Austin, but when I get back I'll re-format it and upload it to the recipes section here.

I've included many helpful hints, tips and tricks to hopefully help you with many various aspects of working with an all-shortening buttercream icing.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

~ Sherri

www.buttercreamdreams.com/wilton/Snow_White_Buttercream_Icing2.doc

ladiebug193 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladiebug193 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:49pm
post #18 of 26

Hi all. I have one question - does the conf sugar in a bc recipe have to be sifted. I have always been told that the sugar should be sifted.

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 26

As long as the sugar in the bag is soft, I never sift my powdered sugar. I haven't found any sugar rocks yet. icon_biggrin.gif

ladiebug193 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladiebug193 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:53pm
post #20 of 26

thanks cakepro - I will try my next batch of bc without sifting as this always takes up so much time when making a double or triple batch

cakegirlcakes Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:07am
post #21 of 26

Ok - now im even MORE frustrated!!!
here is my problem - my piping "fans" or "feathers" at the edges. it doesn't matter WHAT consistency (i've thinned it, i've thickened it). it doesn't matter what SPEED (i tried it slow and short to not whip in air). doesn't matter what RECIPE (half butter/half crisco vs all crisco vs all white, etc). doesn't matter if i SIFT or not (tried both with equally "feathery" results). doesn't matter if crisco or crisco/butter combo is creamed WITH or WITHOUT liquids, doesn't matter if liquids are WARM or not. it just won't work for me and im tired of experiments! i just want a creamy, sturdy icing that pipes and MAYBE looks halfway like the pictures?! wilton is supposed to be for dummies right? i mean, they have to assume we are all beginners. why then have an icing that requires the sun & moon to be in exact alignment with the stars, and the tides harmonious with the earth's magnetic center, blah blah! i don't get it. my consistency is correct - that's not the problem. but the lines WITHIN the piped shell or reverse shell or what have you are "feathery", ALWAYS!!!! why is this?
so sorry for my tantrum. but at least i just typed and didn't throw anything ouch.gif im also 9 months preggo. i can't do anything right! maybe it's hormones icon_rolleyes.gif
anyway, thanks for listening. and if you have any suggestions - im OPEN!!! love you guys!
-chisl

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:22am
post #22 of 26

Calm down chisl or you'll go into labor.

Maybe your not letting it beat long enough! I really can't say without being there and watching you. I wish I could help.

KathyR

Cakepro Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:37am
post #23 of 26

Can you pipe out a line of whatever you're trying to do and post a close-up picture of what you're talking about? That's about the only way I would be able to help you figure out what you're doing.

It's something simple, I'm sure. icon_wink.gif Don't sweat it...we'll figure it out. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

cakegirlcakes Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:28am
post #24 of 26

Cakepro - i thought you were at a decorating show, or i wouldn't have pitched an online tantrum! so busted!!! icon_redface.gif
ok - here are the pics. can you see how feathery it is? i mean, the rope border would look soooooo sloppy on a cake. this is my second wilton course, and i've NEVER gotten the icing to not do this. it just looks DRY and FLAKY! it is soft enough. it is NOT stiff consistency. i made your icing and really liked it (taste was good and texture creamier, but still feathers). yours is on the left (left of the straight line). when piped, if flows as if creamy, but LOOKS broken up and cracked! do you know what im talking about!!!??

thanks for looking!!!!!
-chisl
LL
LL

Cakepro Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 7:29am
post #25 of 26

Hahaha, I AM busted! Whenever I go away for a couple of days, I have this insane 'nesting' instinct that makes me do all the cleaning, bills, lists, laundry...you name it. Since I'm only 3 1/2 hours away, I decided to keep 'nesting' and leave early in the morning. icon_biggrin.gif

I told ya this would be easy, girl! Your icing is just too stiff. icon_smile.gif That's what causes the raggedy edges.

You need to adjust the consistency with either piping gel, corn syrup, or more liquid.

Tweak it a bit and see if it's still happening.

I see you're in Alaska...maybe your Crisco is too cold? icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Your piping is great, by the way!

Add a tsp of piping gel to a cup of that icing and see what happens...if the edges are still ragged, add another teaspoon. That icing will smooth out, don't worry.

~ Sherri

cakegirlcakes Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 8:40pm
post #26 of 26

thank you cakepro for ALL your help! hope you had a great time at the show.
-chisl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%