White Wedding Cake Recipe

Baking By angelas2babies Updated 6 Apr 2006 , 7:48pm by angelas2babies

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:22am
post #1 of 23

I was just wondering who has made it and what they thought of it. I really want to find the perfect white scratch recipe. Anybody have any comments so share? Any other recipes for white cake out there that people love?? Looking for something moist and delicious.

Thank you
Angie

22 replies
angelas2babies Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:23am
post #2 of 23

bump icon_smile.gif

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 2:53am
post #3 of 23

someone just posted a thread wit a yummy sounding white cake that had white chocolate in it....
I do not know how to attach a thread sorry icon_cry.gif
or I would do it for you

angelas2babies Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:20am
post #4 of 23

That's okay...thank you, though!

I have found several threads on white cakes, but it's so hard to know if the recipes worked out because even though the recipes are rated, there aren't any comments, so I'm just wondering what people's personal experience was with certain recipes and what works for them.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:29am
post #5 of 23

The person who posted those thread was called "yummy"

There were several in a row about white cake mix.. most people gave yummy ideas on doctoring white cake...

Hope that helps

One was called "Cake Mix Bakers, I need you!"

You can do a search under forums

I am so sorry I do not know how to attach a thread icon_mad.gif I know this is a pain LOL

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:30am
post #6 of 23

I am wondering this too!!! I am trying to perfect my white cake recipe. So far it's not been very good. I haven't tried this one but I will tomorrow! So I'll let you know!

angelas2babies Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 23

Thank you. I may just try it and see what happens. icon_smile.gif We'll compare notes, then.

Angie

Oh....as for attaching links...copy the http address on the page that you have opened and want to view. Paste it in your message. When you click on it after you post your message, it will take you to the page. Feel free to practice of you want on this thread. thumbs_up.gif Or you can PM me if you want and I'll help you through it.

Angie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 23

This is what it will look like in your post:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-quote-193261.html

The picture below illustrates what you should be copying and pasting into your replies (or postings)
LL

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 23

There is a discussion on this here for a white wedding cake getting the thumbs up !!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-18300.html

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 23

angelas2babies....here is a thread i was involved in a while back. this is a copy of my response for the recipe i used. Check out the end for the changes I made. It is VERY good...the person who also used it (for her mom's wedding cake) love it too! Said it was a big hit!

Sure! This is the Classic White Cake II recipe from this site, as it is written here:

1 cup whole milk , at room temperature
3/4 cup large egg whites (about 6), at room temperature
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter , softened

1. For the cake: Set oven rack in middle position. (If oven is too small to cook both layers on a single rack, set racks in upper-middle and lower-middle positions.) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of two 9-inch-by-1 1/2-inch or 2-inch round cake pans with 1 tablespoon shortening each. Sprinkle 1 heaping tablespoon of all-purpose flour into each pan; roll pans in all directions to coat. Invert pans and rap sharply to remove excess flour.

2. Pour milk, egg whites, and extracts into 2-cup glass measure, and mix with fork until blended.

3. Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of electric mixer at slow speed. Add butter; continue beating at slow speed until mixture resembles moist crumbs, with no powdery ingredients remaining.
4. Add all but 1/2 cup of milk mixture to crumbs and beat at medium speed (or high speed if using handheld mixer) for 1 1/2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk mixture and beat 30 seconds more. Stop mixer and scrape sides of bowl. Return mixer to medium (or high) speed and beat 20 seconds longer.

5. Divide batter evenly between two prepared cake pans; using rubber spatula, spread batter to pan walls and smooth tops. Arrange pans at least 3 inches from the oven walls and 3 inches apart. (If oven is small, place pans on separate racks in staggered fashion to allow for air circulation.) Bake until cake needle or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes.

I changed the almond to 1.5t and the vanilla to 1.5t. I also added one packet of instant french vanilla pudding. Smile

Hope this is helpful!! icon_biggrin.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 23

I am going to try white wedding cake that Antonia found Sunday because it has the sour cream. Found that most recipes that have sour cream just turn out that much better. I will let you all know. and Thanks Antonia

angelas2babies Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 23

Thank you everyone! I'm going to try it out today. Ooooh, sour cream....I'm thinking that one is going to turn out super moist!! Let us know how it turns out!

Angie

mrsfish94 Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 23

Which recipe has sour cream??? I would love to try that one too!!! Can someone Pm or email me with it???? Please.... icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:55am
post #14 of 23

I love the Classic White Cake II posted in the recipe section by melissablack - turns out great!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 1:58am
post #15 of 23

This may be a stupid question, but does this white cake actually look white and not yellowish? I have never made a white cake from scratch but the box mixes I've used are never really white even when I only use egg whites.

mrsfish94 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:12pm
post #16 of 23

when made from scratch...yes they do turn out white only the edges are a little yellow from the baking.

I tried one of the White cake recipies posted here....It was good but I wasn't impressed. It did have sour cream.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1190-71-Wedding-Cake.html

I am trying to find something great using ingredients that are simple. And not a lot of eggs!!! Some call for 8 egg whites. That is too much of a waste for me. Any Suggestions????

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #17 of 23

I would like a good doctored white cake recipe.
I've made two different cakes one using sour cream and the other buttermilk...they were both very moist. I may try the white cake mix using sour cream and see how it comes out. I think the buttermilk may yellow it a bit...

BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:20pm
post #18 of 23

I used the "White Wedding Cake" recipe posted here and everyone loved it..Yeah the egg whites are a bit of a waste, but the taste of the cake for my family and friends make it worth while to me... (I know alot of REALLY picky eaters.)

angelas2babies Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 1:35pm
post #19 of 23

White wedding cake is in the oven! I added a packet of pudding, otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. Wow...sure takes alot more time making cakes from scratch icon_smile.gif The batter was a bit thick, and I was thinking that 8 egg whites was alot...I can't wait to taste it. Just curious, to those that made it...how much batter did you have? I did 2 eight inch rounds from it. Not sure if I filled them enough...or possibly too much. Does this recipe rise much in the oven?

Okay...I will report back with my findings. Giant Eagle had all their DH mixes on sale this week for $0.97!!!! I bought a French Vanilla and multiple others, but I'd love to know if anyone has a good doctored white cake recipe as well...for those days that I need a quick cake!

Angie

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 23

The best white cake recipe I've ever used is from The Joy of Cooking. It comes complete with instructions for wedding cake sized batches and I've gotten rave reviews everytime I use it.

As far as wasting egg yolks, I make creme brulee, creme anglaise, or french custard. No waste, lots of taste!

Happy baking!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 2:07pm
post #21 of 23

Angela, which one did you try? Once you get used to scratch baking, you find it really doesn't take too much extra time, but the taste is worth it! Scratch cakes do not rise as high as commercial mixes, IMO. I always fill 1/2 to 2/3 full.

One word of caution, scratch cakes are not as forgiving as mixes - there is a delicate balance between ingredients. You might want to try the recipe in its original state - I've had some flops by tweaking recipes, even something as simple as substituting all purpose for cake flour! - The pudding in this case might alter your results. To add moisture to a scratch cake, you can brush the layers with a simple syrup.

I'm with laney'smom - make pastry cream from the yolks! Mmmm!

Let us know how it turns out! BTW there is a doctored mix recipe called White Almond Sour Cream that turns out really well! I believe it's in the recipe section.

angelas2babies Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 2:21pm
post #22 of 23

Thank you for the tips. That is why I've been afraid of scratch baking. icon_redface.gif I know how exact everything has to be...and I was sweating a bit and double checking every measurement!!!

The recipe I tried is White Wedding Cake. It is from the recipe section.

8 egg whites
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature only
2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups cake flour-sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder-sifted
1 teaspoon salt-sifted
1 cup half and half
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

Someone mentioned that they added a pudding packet...so sorry, can't recall who it was right now...so I thought I'd give it a try. Yes, I noticed that they didn't rise as much...which is good, because I thought I over-filled the pans. They are cooling right now. I can't wait to taste!

Oh, and thank you for the great ideas for the egg yolks!!
Angie

angelas2babies Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 7:48pm
post #23 of 23

Well....the cakes are out and cooled...as for taste, really good. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the texture. It's kind of spongey. I will have to have a cake tasting party to make sure I'm not being too critical. Overall though, I do recommend it!!

Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%