What The Heck??

Decorating By jescapades Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 1:45am by flavacakes

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 21

i just bought a cool set of tips a few weeks ago. so i wanted to try them out and play. i took some out, played, washed them and put them back. i took out one of the two flower nails, made some roses, washed it and....

it rusted! what the heck?

has anyone else had this problem? i will need to use my nails as a heating element for two sheet cakes i'm making soon and i certainly don't want to put rusty flower nails in it. why would they rust on me?

20 replies
azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 21

That sounds really strange? I have a flower nail that my mother used over 30 years ago and it is still in good shape. Hope someone else can help you out!

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 21

I use my flower nails all the time and have never had a problem with rusting. What brand are your tips?

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 21

I'd take it back and ask them for an exchange or refund

jescapades Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 21

this is actually the second nail to rust on me. they are all wilton.

they rust just under the head, where it meets the nail.

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 21

My flower nail rusted too. I am not sure why or how - it just did.... I am not sure if it because I left it in the drain rack (I don't have a dish washer) or if maybe there was a little soap that I didn't get off. I am sorry this wasn't much help

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 21

I have found that I have to dry them immediately or shake off the excess water really well if I'm going to let them air dry or they will rust in spots. You can get the rust off with magic erase.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 21

I have had the same problem with my wilton nails.??. I bought 3 new ones and they all rusted pretty quickly; I don't know what the deal with that is.

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 21

Maybe it is our detergent! I filled a bag with icing and started piping and saw little specks of metal. I was totally FREAKING out!!!!!!!! I soon discovered that the metal covering was coming off of the tip! Now this was not hard metal, it was almost paper-like. Anyway, had to through them out!

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 21

My flower nails rusted (slightly) on the bottom side also. You need to dry them right away after washing them.

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

this is actually the second nail to rust on me. they are all wilton.

they rust just under the head, where it meets the nail.

I had this happen also, same place and there Wiltons also. I also need mine for baking. I had used mine in a cake last week and than put them in the dishwasher and when to bed. I unloaded the dishwasher after I got the kids off to school and I saw some rust on both of the flower nails. icon_surprised.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 21

I wouldn't put the flower nails in the dishwasher. The element used to sauder the head to the sharp part is what rusts. You need to hand wash and dry them and they won't rust.

Hope that helped.
angie

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 21

This has not happened to me. If I were any of the ones that had this happen I would contact Wilton and let them know. If they get all these emails or letters or calls they will look into it. I had one of the decorator plates and it broke I called them and within a week or so I had TWO new ones. I sent tham the brokken one. They are good at replacing things that are not just right.

Hope that helps.

Vic

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 21

I have a wilton nail that rusted and 2 off brands that never have and I wash them the same way. The magic eraser sounds like an idea.

Thanks for the tip.

Patricia

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 21

I had the exact same problem with an auction I just one on ebay.....got unopened master tip set and deluxe tip set and after boiling them and letting them air dry I found all the flower nails rusted!!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:54pm
post #16 of 21

I have learned that they have to be hand dried, not left to air dry. I typically hand wash them too because if I put them in the dishwasher I will forget them lol.

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 21

I always handwash my tips / nails. I borrowed some beaters from my Grandma and noticed they were "peeling"...and she does everything in the dishwasher. Maybe that's it?

jescapades Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:57pm
post #18 of 21

oooh, i'll try the magic eraser! will they be okay to use in a cake if i do that, though? or should i buy new ones?

i might also try writing to wilton. they should't be rusting if they are used for food.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 21

I wouldn't worry about using the magic erase since you'll wash it again after that! But you can also use a product called Bar Keepers Friend. It will take anything off! It's wonderful for stainless steel pots and pans too!

jescapades Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 21

yay! i emailed wilton today and they are sending me new nails! of course, i should have asked how to keep them from rusting, but i didn't think of it.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:45am
post #21 of 21

Yep. Mine all rusted too! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%