What Should I Put In My Cake Emergency Kit???

Decorating By manatee19 Updated 9 Jun 2007 , 8:46pm by jsmith

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 18

I'm super excited because I'm doing my first wedding cake this weekend. I've made them and the icing. I'm putting them together tonight. But my question is...

When I take the cake to the site, since I'm new, what should I bring with me, like an emergency kit?

I know their are many little things that I wouldn't think to bring so any imput would be amazing. I'm so excited and can't wait to post the pictures.

Thanks a million,
Steph

17 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 18

tips, extra icing bags, icing, spatula (icing knife), paper towels (maybe even some wet ones - I had a cake to set up and there was no water readily available), hand sanitizer or hand wipes and lots and lots of prayer!!!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 18

Bring tweezers or a pin (in case there's a speck or hair you might need to get off quickly and quietly!!) Hey, it happens! icon_rolleyes.gif

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 18

Antonia74, I'm shocked! Your creations are perfect! Stop it, you're ruining the illusion for us. *laff*

bikegal

suzannetherlands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannetherlands Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 18

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
like the tweezer one.... almost can imagine you standing next to your cake.....
Good luck with your wedding cake!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 18

Great ideas, guys. A couple of other ideas...small paint brush, extra couplers, kleenex (for weepy mother of the bride/groom), camera w/ extra batteries (to take a picture of your cake on the display table). That's all I can think of. Best of luck!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 18

Camera with freshly-charged batteries!

If you're using a fountain, bring distilled water, extra bulbs, clear tape (for taping the cord down to the floor, and an extension cord.

Bring extra tips in case you have an accident and need to do any extra cover-up piping, as well as all the excess icing you have made, and bags.

If you're stacking the cakes on-site, bring dowels, your dowel cutters, a level, and powdered sugar in a dredger or a small sifter (for keeping the cardboard from sticking to the icing). I always bring these things anyway in case the cake topper is heavy or something.

If your cake uses pillars, I always bring extra sets of pillars in different heights just in case (sometimes floral arrangements to be placed between tiers are taller than I wanted and I needed to use taller pillars).

If you're placing flowers on the cake, bring all your extras as well as a bag of buttercream and whatever you're using for leaves.

If you have one, a rolling card is great for bringing in all your tiers and equipment.

Don't forget the anniversary tier box, complete with a sweet note to the bride thanking her for allowing you to be part of her special day and instructions on how to freeze her top tier...and put a nice label on the box with all your contact information. In my standard bride's letter, I also ask her to keep me in mind for all the special occasions and milestones of their new life together. Place the box under the cake table where the servers know to look for it when it's time to box that tier.

Hmmm....and like gilson6 said, pray! icon_smile.gif

Try to relax ~ it's a nerve-wracking thing! (Even for me, 8 years after my first delivery!)

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 18

Just thought of something else...toothpicks!

manatee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manatee19 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 18

WOW
Thank you all so much for getting back to me. All of the ideas are wonderful and I do make sure to have everything. My cakes are free standing on the Wilton 3 tier cake stand. I love the idea to bring tweezer.

Thanks again,
Stephanie

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 18

save

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 18

I bring a long a small pair of scissors too. It has come in handy several times.

sugarbakerqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbakerqueen Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:05am
post #12 of 18

What about a little container of cornstarch with your small paintbrush?? You can use this to smooth any boo-boos.
Wet wipes for you hands.
Business cards.
icon_rolleyes.gif mmmmmm........valium for the bride???JK. icon_lol.gif

bananaslug14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananaslug14 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #13 of 18

And also bring some small bits of cardbord in case the table is unlevel, then you can level it out.

-Samantha

bonjoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonjoni Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 18

Where can I find the anniversary tier box?

tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 18

if you are using fondant bring some crisco, it will cover small cracks

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:20pm
post #16 of 18

Brilliant, saving this!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:41pm
post #17 of 18

Our kit includes a lot of what was listed but please bring gloves, you want to look professional. Paper towels, icing in a bag, brochures your photo book. (never know who you might run into) The contract (with phone numbers) just in case you need to contact someone. We also supply a white garbage bag with our name and phone number markered on it and a list of all the equpment we are leaving. Knife, spatulas, smoother, viva paper towels. any extra decorations you used.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:46pm
post #18 of 18

Everything everyone else said plus a cell phone. I got a cheap prepaid phone because some of those places are hard to find.

P.S I ALWAYS forget the box for the top tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%