Silpat Vs. Kitchenaide Baking Mats

Baking By MommaLlama Updated 31 Mar 2006 , 7:56pm by mcalhoun

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:58am
post #1 of 8

Has any one ever used a kitchenaide baking mat? I love my Silpat but got two of the KA mats as a gift? Are they any good or should I exchange them?

ml

7 replies
MommaLlama Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

Anyone??

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:24am
post #3 of 8

Gosh, it took me a while to find your post after it left the home page. Anyway, I don't have the kitchenaid mats but I looked on Amazon.com. I use this when I'm trying to decide on what to buy for myself. I look at what the comments are on certain items and I looked unnder you kitchenaid mats and found this comment{the only one}:

I have Silpat baking liners and I was intigued when I saw the Silicone version from Kitchenaid. Because they were so reasonably priced, I bought three. They are not as stick free as Silpat, but they have an advantage in being more sturdy and easier to slide cookies and baked goods around. I use a spatula and cookies slip right off. They have not discolored in the oven, as the Silpat baking mats have and they are much more durable. They have so many uses, in roasting pans, as a trivet and to keep foods from sliding around during transport. A real value for a lifetime of performance.

I hope this helps you make some kind of decision if not at least bump you so someone else can help you.
Lara icon_smile.gif

MommaLlama Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:56am
post #4 of 8

Thanks Lara it was really nice of you to look that up for me. I bet I could use them for rolling cookie dough and then just bake on the silpat, you know so they won't stick...or maybe I should just exchange them???Can you tell I'm having trouble making decisions today?

ml

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 12:21am
post #5 of 8

My friend has the Kitchen Aid mats and she said the edges curled up when she used them, which made the cookies curl. She's taking them back.

Silpats ROCK!

MommaLlama Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 12:41am
post #6 of 8

Back they go!!!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:36am
post #7 of 8

BTW, www.surlatable.com is a great place for Silpats. The prices are pretty reasonable.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 8

I tried rolling the cookie dough out on the kitchenaide and can we say
S-T-U-C-K and if I didn't learn my lesson (and in case you are wondering) so does MMF. I need the real thing until then I use parchment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%