Do You Like The Wilton Large Cake Leveler??

Decorating By newtocakes Updated 10 May 2006 , 4:38am by steplite

newtocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newtocakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:21am
post #1 of 50

I have not had good luck with this tool. I am wondering if anyone else uses it and what your experiences have been? I have used it to level several cakes 12" up to 16" and it never seems to work very well. Is it just me? I have seen a very expensive leveler on Sugar Craft (can't remember who makes it) and I am wondering if it is worth the money? Any ideas or helpful hints?? Thanks in advance.

Thena

49 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:25am
post #2 of 50

NO! I don't like mine at all. When I tried to level a large cake with it, the blade seemed to bend or twist and would not cut straight. I gave up trying to use it. I think it was a big waste of my money!

newtocakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:28am
post #3 of 50

Mine does the same thing! I get a really uneven cut and the top is not level! Definitely a waste of money!

Thena

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:33am
post #4 of 50

Im not thrilled with it either I use it sometimes I like the 14" serrated knife better.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:20am
post #5 of 50

I am really glad I'm not the only one who can't get a cake straight with this thing!! It sucks! haha

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:29am
post #6 of 50

I hate it too! If I really pay attention and tighten it extra tight it seems to do better, but it never works really well. It always bends and twists so that when torting it makes very uneven layers.

I'd love to get the Agbay leveler, about which I've heard wonderful things. It is $150.00 for the single blade leveler and $250.00 for the two blade leveler (plus shipping), but it is said to be fabulous!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:51am
post #7 of 50

I am fed up with my large wilton leveller and am waiting for the agbay to arrive! I will let you know how I find it! I am very excited about it!!

newtocakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:55am
post #8 of 50

keira,

I will be excited to see how you like your agbay! From what I have heard everyone that has one loves it! I think that will be my next big purchase.

Thena

MustloveDogs Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:03am
post #9 of 50

Hi Thena,
I bake mostly heavy chocolate mud cakes and the large wilton leveller just dies halfway thru and does a shockingly uneven cut. Since I found out most of the forum doesnt like it either, I am using a serrated knife until the agbay arrives which can't be soon enough as I don't have a good natural eye for straight lines!! icon_lol.gif
Hopefully the shipping won't take too long as I am hanging out to try it!
If it can get thru my mud cakes, it can get thru any cake!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:14am
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocakes

keira,

I will be excited to see how you like your agbay! From what I have heard everyone that has one loves it! I think that will be my next big purchase.

Thena

I bought the agbay!! And it is sooooooo worth the money!! i LOVE IT!!!!

MustloveDogs Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:17am
post #11 of 50

Thanks Pink Bunny,
I was worried that I couldn't see it in a shop for myself, but I did watch the video over and over again!
It is a lot of money, but I do a lot of cakes, so thought I could justify spending it! You make me feel better about my order!!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:34pm
post #12 of 50

I tossed the wilton large leveler long ago. And i will tell you anyone that knows me knows i'm a cheapskate and don't like to pitch any of my toys but that thing was useless.

I bought an Agbay (the $150 just about killed me to shell the $$ out) and its the best cake purchase i have made.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:39pm
post #13 of 50

I´m glad to hear I´m not the only one. I bought it because my Wilton instructor recommended it (I should have known better, she is there to sell Wilton products at any cost) and it doesn´t work. I thought I was doing something wrong. I use a serrated knife and, when possible, use the small Wilton leveler, which always works like a charm.

Inma

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 50

I use it, but I use it while my cake is still in the pan and run it along the top of the pan which seems to keep it level.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:53pm
post #15 of 50

I have pretty good luck with it, but it does take a specific technique. You can't force it AT ALL. It just won't stand up to any amout of pressure. I've found that if I start on the smaller side of the cake, it will just skate along the surface, rather than cutting in when the level starts rising. So, I start on the high side and set the cutter for the same height as the low side. Works better that way. Then...you have to saw slowly. Otherwise, the blade will bend.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 50

I have the small and large one and they are both sitting in the junk pile along with a few other "toys" that I have bought from Wilton. I am going to get the Agbay also. Their site is www.agbayproducts.com.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 50

I agree with Crimsicle. It is the only thing I have ever used and for that reason I feel comfortable with it. You have to start at a corner and slowly saw back and forth. I also start at the high point and go to the lowest.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 50

Crimsicle, who is the singer on your avatar? Looks like he might be a crooner. Sinatra, Cincotti or Harry Connick?

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

I agree with Crimsicle. It is the only thing I have ever used and for that reason I feel comfortable with it. You have to start at a corner and slowly saw back and forth. I also start at the high point and go to the lowest.

I agree; I've had the large one for about 3 years now and it works fine for me. Didn't even know of any others. I guess it's because the wilton worked fine for me so I had no reason to check another.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 50

I have it too, and find that I can't seem to get an even cut. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:16pm
post #21 of 50

I stopped using it once the blade bent. Doesn't seem to work well for dense cakes that are well chilled. I have gone back to the small leveler until I can afford the Agbay.

Darra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darra Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:21pm
post #22 of 50

i just saw the agbay leveler video!!! omg i'm in love.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:21pm
post #23 of 50

Great. I just bought the wilton large leveler. Have not used it yet. Not looking forward to it after reading all of this. Ugh.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 50

For the price of the agbay, I'll deal with my wilton one. Besides, I really haven't had that much trouble with it. It's not as easy as the agbay looks from the demo, but it will do. I would want the agbay deluxe anyway, and that's about $250!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:01pm
post #25 of 50

I use the Wilton lg leveler and really like it. One thing you have to be careful not to do when using it is holding the cake at the top when you're cutting/sawing through. The pressure of your hand on top of the cake will cause the blade to bend. I place my hand on the outside edge of the cake opposite the leveler and slowly saw through.

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:56pm
post #26 of 50

Hmmm... Must be me, but I have no problem at all with my Wilton one! In fact, I love mine! But I'm usually the weird one in the group... icon_biggrin.gif

The small Wilton leveler is useless, but I use my large one on every cake! I use it to level AND to split my tiers. So far, so good!!

...Andrea

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:05pm
post #27 of 50

I haven't had problems with the large or small levelers either. I can see how the blade could easily bend. You just have to take your time and not force it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #28 of 50

Thought it was just me... My small wilton cutter can't handle a semi-frozen 8" round. Was thinking of replacing the blade with a camper's hand saw...... Just bought the larger cutter last month when they were on sale for 50% off, but haven't used it yet. Sorry, guess this doesn't help.

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 7:32pm
post #29 of 50

Hey, what about the finger saw that you can use for camp or PVC pipes. Bet that would do a fine job. Now were did I leave it after the last camping trip? HMMM icon_biggrin.gif

Junebuggey

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 7:40pm
post #30 of 50

I have one but I never used it. I never had a larger cake to cut and end up cutting my other cakes (leveling) with a large, bread knife. I think I should sell it at my next yard sale.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%